It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logo : New Gay/Lesbian Channel Launched Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I was listening to theradio last night and a story came on about a new TV channel launching on US cable today to be called 'Logo', and is to be run by MTV Networks.
It is to be dedicated to Gay/Lesbian viewers, with the first batch of programs being shown concentrating on lifestyle issues such as travel, hobbies, interior design etc. (ooooooh, I LOVE that dado rail - Joke).

The prospect of a television channel entirely devoted to gay programs for gay people may strike some as unnecessary and others as a sign of immoral times. Media giant Viacom thinks there's money in it.
Logo, launching under the MTV Networks umbrella, is not the first channel to target gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, but it is the most widely available, on cable boxes in 10 million homes.
And it is the first time a major US conglomerate such as Viacom has entered a niche market that, despite Logo's promise to deliver family-friendly entertainment, is viewed with concern by some of the same people who worry about too much sex, violence and profanity on TV.

The guys on the radio were discussing how the cultural clash going on in the US at the moment with the conservatives and the liberals is should result in uproar regarding this channel launch, but there hasn't been that much backlash.
The guy from Viacom (can't remember his name) was convinced that many conservatives spend their daylight hours castigating liberal-minded souls, while at night they secretly watched things like 'Will & Grace' and 'Desperate Housewives'...AND ENJOYED THEM.

Anyways, the 'pink pound' (as it is known here) is quite a force and you cannot expect it not to be exploited, even if a lot of people object. Money talks...as usual.

Do our American friends know about today's launch? Is anyone going to be watching? Does the fact that this is on cable get anyone's back up? Personally, it wouldn't bother me to be honest.

Article

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I thought we already had gay oriented channels - Bravo (affiliated with NBC) seems to have a higher than average run of gay and lesbian programming. VH1 also seems a bit aimed at the alternative lifestyle.

When I saw your post, my first thought was excitement. I'll have to set TiVo to see if I have it on the cable lineup. TiVo will be excited as it went through a "Redballoon is a lesbian" phase before it decided I needed to be born again and exercise. I'm sure there will be some shows that are hip and current and I could care less if they are aimed at gay or lesbian people. I'm comfortbale with sexuality and don't care a bit if my cable company carries and promotes this new channel.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Apparently there are Gay/Lesbian oriented channels broadcasting in the States already but they are Pay-Per-View. This one is going to be on cable, which is why it may cause a bit of a kerfuffle. Thats what I heard. Is that right?

join