It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this an 'initiation'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What does it mean or represent when they burn a piece of paper in your hands when welcoming you into thier 'family'?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
You have any more to go on? Link, anything? It's pretty bare.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
No.
I only know that after introductions and very little talk, there is paper burnt in the hands of the new person and big hug followed by a kiss on both cheeks. This is all I know.
I wondered what this paper burning represented.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
No.
I only know that after introductions and very little talk, there is paper burnt in the hands of the new person and big hug followed by a kiss on both cheeks. This is all I know.
I wondered what this paper burning represented.

Yeah, I'm getting that but what entity is this in reference to? Sounds like it could either be the Cosa Nostra or your bank.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Well... may I just say it is not my bank?
(LOL! I just got it, morgage paid in full. LMAO!)

With your permission I'll do a U2U

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   

What does it mean or represent when they burn a piece of paper in your hands when welcoming you into thier 'family'?

When you sa "they", who do you mean? Your post is unclear.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Yes, I know my post is unclear. I am really very sorry, but I cannot go into great detal.

I'm thinking that the person doing the burning really shouldn't be relevant considering I only want to know what this particular act represents. (unless your telling me that under different circumstances it has different meaning)

Let's just say that this happens the first time you meet the boss.

Is this a supersitious thing? Is it some kind of wicca wierdness (doubtful), is it kind of like the jewish wedding thing where they break the champain glass and this represents (I forget what it represents)... But you see what I'm asking? Does it have a particular meaning behind it?

And while we're on the subject of what different things mean - why the kiss on both cheeks? What is this supose to mean? Nothing - just a way of greating?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
kissing someone on both cheeks is a common greeting. And if you are talking about a sence in the Sopranos where have burn a picture of the pope in the new members hand, and then have him rub his hands together I think that is just part of the T.V. show.

If it is a real thing, then yes it is just their initation. Meaning if you stab them in the back the pope will send you to hell. You know they love the Pope!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I'm thinking that the person doing the burning really shouldn't be relevant considering I only want to know what this particular act represents.

Different acts mean different things to different groups of people. The person doing the burning is VERY relevant because we cannot be sure of what this represents unless we know the story behind the person doing it.

Burping in Western countries is disgusting, but in asian and middle eastern countries, it's a compliment. Get what I'm saying?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
it's all fun and games until someone gets sacrificed to Cthulhu.

/attempts to be cryptic

ah to hell it I ain't got the juice for it.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sounds like a basic mob (Mafia) protocol to me.

Or, for a friendlier explanation of Joss paper burning rituals, try here:

www.fengshuidesigns.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
MaskedAvatar,
Please expand on that.
What would that 'basic mob protocol' be representing? (am going to read your link now)

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
AngelaLadyS

1. The link is not related to the Mafia. It is a more friendly and congenial eastern form of ritual for burning papers.

2. I have never been made (in the mob sense) or introduced into any Sicilian family in this lifetime, so I can't really expand on the protocols, except that is the reaction I had to your description. Paper burning isn't portrayed in Hollywood versions of Mafia family TLC.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I was thinking it was dealing with the omerta, in cerimony form maybe.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I'm thinking that the person doing the burning really shouldn't be relevant considering I only want to know what this particular act represents

Its absolutely impossible to even reasonably guess what this thing might be. Why would you think its an initiation?

why the kiss on both cheeks? What is this supose to mean?

Its completely meaningless out of context. You'd have to tell us more about what was going on.

omerta

Ah, the italian mobs. What was burned? Just paper? If so, its possibly a devolution of an older supposed mob ritual. The kiss is how europeans welcome each other. They probably went out for a little manga next, some anti-past, a little soppressat, summa da vino. Was anyone driving an IROC in this situation?

boatphone
Meaning if you stab them in the back the pope will send you to hell.

Amoung the mafioso, burning the pope or a saint in picture form means 'i turn my back on the church and the religion, this is my church, this is my religion'.
In another group, it can mean something different. Thats why its important to know what group we are talking about and the broader context, otherwise, we are all just mindlessly, and ignorantly really, speculating.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I understand now why the need for specifics.

Thanks for the info that was generated thus far. As you can imagine - as context as mentioned above would give good reason to keep ones mouth shut - I've said too much as is.

Thanks again.

Oh - my son brought to mind a question. The free masions. How do the Free Masions and the mob get along? I know that there are enough underboard activities the bring them both to the same side of the fence, but I wonder if they are cometitors or friendly towards each other. Say for instace an 'associate' was found to be an honorary in the Golden Dawn (reffered to as a golden daugher as a gratitude from teaching) - would this be a bad thing or looked upon with good reguard?

[edit on 6-27-2005 by AngelaLadyS]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I understand now why the need for specifics.

Thanks for the info that was generated thus far. As you can imagine - as context as mentioned above would give good reason to keep ones mouth shut - I've said too much as is.

Oh - my son brought to mind a question. The free masions. How do the Free Masions and the mob get along? I know that there are enough underboard activities the bring them both to the same side of the fence, but I wonder if they are cometitors or friendly towards each other.

What are you thinking?

Why would the Free Masons and the mob ever be in any contact?! The “mob” is organized crime group whose only goal is to commit crimes and make money. The Free Masons are fraternal order that is devoted to building values that lead to a better life. They donate to charity and do community service projects, as well as give out scholarships to children. The Free Masons and the mob would never ever be in any contact! What would led to even think this for one second??

Free Masons do charity work and are a private men’s club that is all. The lodge in my town has a pancake breakfast every Sunday for the Red Cross!!

While the mob on the other hand is just a bunch of no good low life scum!! And why is there any need to “keep ones mouth shut”? Screw the mob.

Please, do some reach on a basic level before putting a great group like the Free Masons in with a bunch of no good useless, no class tools!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't know about being on the same side of the fence, but I would think that most mafioso's, in the modern age, are 'pious' catholics, and that because of that that they might not get along with the 'secularist' freemason's. But of course, when the mafia was just a bunch of sicilian warlords, they were at odds with the authority of the church, so perhaps that might lead one to think that there is a connection.

But then again, freemasonry requires it members to comply with the laws of the land and also to not commit crimes, so a freemason would probably have trouble getting along with criminal thugs.

Also, the Golden Dawn, as far as I undestand it, thats not a freemason group.

Actually, the situation might be different in italy and sicily, from what i understand, the contintental mason's aren't associated with the 'anglo' masonry. I suspect that continental freemason's would still have a problem with associating with rank gangsters and immoral thugs.

new topics

top topics

join