It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cause of Tsunami?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Is the continuous expansion of the earth’s crust creating under sea fault movements? Could these movements be the cause of the Boxing Day tsunami and not the commonly held belief that the tsunami was caused by the compression and subduction in plate tectonics?

Internationally recognised Western Australian geologist Dr James Maxlow says that conservative wisdom is based on the hypothesis that the earth has maintained a constant size during its geological evolution. Instead, his research has shown that the size of the earth 1600-million years ago was little more than one-fifth of its dimensions today. Dr Marlow’s view is that growth over millions of years has weakened the Earth’s crust causing fractures which lead to natural disasters such as the Asian tsunami and other seismic events.

geocities.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
My own theory...well I thought it was my own till I googled it.

METEOR impact. BOOM...CRAZACCCKKK....WHOOOOSH ...HERE COMES THE WAVEEEEEEEE...

anyways. That's crazy, I like it. If the Planet is ever growing, would there not be a maximum size? Could the planet become molten again and compress? Sorry, just drank a pot of tea, and I am wired like a cheap stereo.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Bane Of Your Existence]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
ahhhh crap. Sorry about the double post. Thought if I hit stop to correct an spelling mistake it wouldnt do anything.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Bane Of Your Existence]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Actually I think tsunami are most prevalent around subduction zones where seafloor is sliding under another plate. But they can be caused by many different things including undersea landslides, asteroid impacts, volcanic eruptions....

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bane Of Your Existence
If the Planet is ever growing, would there not be a maximum size? Could the planet become molten again and compress?

Must be good tea - please share the secret

Like most things in nature growth is controlled and I can only assume the earth would be the same, that is it grows until it reaches to 'optimal' size.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The Earth is not growing in size! As the seafloor spreads in some areas, it subducts in other areas going back into the Earth's interior.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Ahhhh the secret of my tea. Well... Leave the tea bags in while you drink.

And I add, aprox. 8-9 spoons of sugar per serving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the planet was 1/5th the size. Imagine it 1/15th the size even longer ago. Hell, the size of a basket ball. j/k.

I dont think the planet will ever reach an opitmal size. I think it will just keep getting bigger and bigger, just due to the fact of it being constantly rained upon by meteors.

if the planet weighs 10 billion lbs. and you build a 6 billion lb pyramid on the earth, how much will the planet weigh?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The Earth is not growing in size! As the seafloor spreads in some areas, it subducts in other areas going back into the Earth's interior.

Are you a scientist or a geologist? I ask because I would like to understand from what fact base you make such a firm statement. Don't wish appear rude merely seeking to understanding.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I've taken enough school to realize that.

It's simple plate tectonic theory.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I've taken enough school to realize that.It's simple plate tectonic theory.

Thank you. Now I understand where you are coming from.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
Is the continuous expansion of the earth’s crust creating under sea fault movements? Could these movements be the cause of the Boxing Day tsunami and not the commonly held belief that the tsunami was caused by the compression and subduction in plate tectonics?

Uhm, no. We know how to measure the size of the Earth... in fact, we've known how to measure it since the time of Aristophanes (about 600 BC.) It's stayed consistant.

The Earth doesn't need a diet because it's not growing.

Internationally recognised Western Australian geologist Dr James Maxlow says that conservative wisdom is based on the hypothesis that the earth has maintained a constant size during its geological evolution. Instead, his research has shown that the size of the earth 1600-million years ago was little more than one-fifth of its dimensions today. Dr Marlow’s view is that growth over millions of years has weakened the Earth’s crust causing fractures which lead to natural disasters such as the Asian tsunami and other seismic events.

A google on various science paper sites shows that his PhD was bought from one of those "get-your-degree-in-2-weeks" universities and is not a true PhD. As a PhD in the sciences, you *have* to publish in order to get that degree.

And honestly, how is it that the Earth's supposed to be expanding? Demons at the center with sippy straws, blowing frantically to put air into the core and push the mantle out? Too much cholesterol intake and not enough exercise? It's been eating comets and we haven't noticed?

geocities.com...

There's the other tip-off. Internationally recognized scientists have all their papers hosted by their universities or their research facilities. They don't use free Geocities websites.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
``

let me put these two items into your decision making operation

'' The Earth captures about 40,000 tons of dust from
outerspace each year"

source: www.madsci.org...

IDPs (Interplanetary Dust Particles) for the alphabetic pop-culture crowd
~it's your call, if that ammount of material is 'adding' to the planets size &
could factor into plate tectonic movement~

The most likely cause of the 26-12-2004 Tsunami:

see pic & explaination ofthe scientific expedition & evidence revealed
www.freerepublic.com...

[edit on 15-6-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
no, God damnit. Don't you know the secret intelligence controls the weather? When it rains, it's them. When it's windy, it's them.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bane Of Your Existence
if the planet weighs 10 billion lbs. and you build a 6 billion lb pyramid on the earth, how much will the planet weigh?

Unless you import the materials to build the huge pyramid from mars, the planet would still weigh 10 billion lbs; for about a minute.

I would be very concerned about the effect that may have on the planets orbit and future stability though.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
(We know how to measure the size of the Earth... in fact, we've known how to measure it since the time of Aristophanes (about 600 BC.) It's stayed consistant.) qote

im confused, I thought intill colombus the world was flat. so how could thay know how to measure it, can you explain?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
(We know how to measure the size of the Earth... in fact, we've known how to measure it since the time of Aristophanes (about 600 BC.) It's stayed consistant.)

Byrd,

I would also like to know how we had the science to measure the size of the earth since 600BC. What proof do you have that it has remained constant?

[edit on 19/6/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Lady,

The first estimates of the circumference of the Earth by the Greeks was done by measuring shadow angles and cities at different latitudes of known distance and extrapolating the value.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Nothing more then Obolisks casting shadows 700 km apart
The guy who Byrd mentioned basically measured the shadow of these two obolisks on the same day(he had someone else at the other Obolisk of course
) and calculated that if the southern Obolisk casted no shadow but the northern one did then that meant that the earth was curved and he thus did some number crunching and came to the conclusion that the earth was round and he even calculated the circumphrance of the earth to within a 1% margin of error.

Very simple and elegant solution you should try to do some research on a subject that is really indisputable.

And yeah the earth is growing fyi due to falling debris from space

[edit on 19-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
SCALAR WEAPONS!!!!

Taken from here.

Suggestions that the Kobe event may have been caused by a laser-powered seismic weapon continue to circulate.

In answer to questions about the Kobe quake, Murai said “There is a strong possibility of the activation of an earthquake using electromagnetic power, or somebody may have used a device that applied force inside the Earth.”

By the early nineties, Asahara and his fellow Aum leaders had made giant inroads into the former Soviet Union. Operating at the highest levels, agreements were reached for the Russians to provide advanced weaponry to Aum.
(Damn Ruskies)

In a private telephone conversation with the US Senate Investigations Chief Council, Dan Gerber, Mason was told that Aum had “developed” nuclear bombs and were thought to be conducting a “crash” programme to build an “Earthquake Inducing Weapon.”

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
sardion2000 thank you. I will do more research on this.

A question to all however - if the earth is heating up wouldn't the logical conclusion also be that this is also causing the earth to expand?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join