It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: US Military Outsources Creation of American Propaganda Overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The U.S. Special Operations Command has outsourced the use of American propaganda in Iraq and abroad. Despite the fact that the Pentagon backed away from similar campaigns nearly three years ago, the U.S. military has hired three firms to produce newspaper stories, television broadcast as well as internet media as a part of a new effort to initiate 'psychological warfare' overseas.

www.timesdispatch.com
The U.S. Special Operations Command has hired three firms to produce newspaper stories, television broadcasts and Web sites to spread American propaganda overseas.

The Tampa-based military headquarters, which oversees commandos and psychological warfare, may spend up to $100 million for the media campaign in the next five years.

The Pentagon backed away from a similar campaign in 2002.

The use of contractors in psyops is a new wrinkle. But psychological warfare expert Herb Friedman said he is not surprised.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Federal law prohibits the use of propaganda on American citizens however some critics believe that this new program might back fire on the American public.

Nancy Snow, a propaganda expert at California State illustrates this point vividly: 'If you plant false stories, how can you control where the story goes?'

[edit on 6/11/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Well taking in consideration the way the Iraq war was sold to us with all the right propaganda, I imagine that the government is quite confident that the public will believe anything they tell them.

So the propaganda has been on and is working now they worry about the side effects?

I find it funny.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm not a U.S citizen, but I imagine even though this story is framed about "overseas" propaganda, privatising the propaganda operation might get around the restriction on government agencies producing propaganda targetting the domestic population.

LOL I just realised they already did that - see Fox News etc.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by cbreath]

[edit on 11-6-2005 by cbreath]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well, seeing as this thread is obviously biased, how can it be considered "news"? =/

Either way, "propaganda"? Sure, propaganda is used by every country, every organization, etc. but where is the solid proof for this, to back up this particular story? When that shows, it shall be called "news", and not a minute sooner.

-wD

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
What on earth are you talking about?

The article contains the contract details and the firms it was awarded to. How much more proof do you want?

Winning the contracts were Science Applications International Corp., SYColeman Inc. and Lincoln Group Corp.

Each contractor will receive a minimum of $250,000 during the first year and $500,000 each subsequent year. The entire contract could total $100 million by 2010, records show.

And where's the bias? Is it just biased because you don't like to hear about it?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Is this like the outsourcing of the FBI translation department to mostly foreign-nationals?

You know the people who cheered 911?

You have to be very careful when you hand task of national security to non-nationals. Perhaps they don't have your best interests at heart. "Ya Think?"

America has to be the laziest country on Earth.
Can't we do anything for ourselves?

new topics

top topics

join