It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French carrier in Norfolk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

US navy f18 on CdeG:

FN E2-c on USS D.E

www.defense.gouv.fr...
www.defense.gouv.fr...

Rafale on Eisenhower
www.defense.gouv.fr...
www.defense.gouv.fr...
www.defense.gouv.fr...
www.defense.gouv.fr...

www.defense.gouv.fr...
www.defense.gouv.fr...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to see the navies working together.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
just a friendly reminder of who is king

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is the first deck shot I have seen of the French Aircraft Carrier. It is the first time I have known that she only has two catapults. Obviously a compromise based on her size.
As I understand it the French are not quite satisfied with her performance and design. I wonder if they are working on the next generation? This must be a huge expense on the French economy. And I mean Huge. This is also France"s first nuclear Carrier.
Was looking for the elevators to see how she raises and lowers airplanes to the hanger decks below. This is not clear in the pictures taken from this side..so I am presuming that the elevators are on the starboard side.
The Nimitz class carriers have three elevators on the starboard side and one on the port.
Thanks for the great pictures.

Orangetom

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
u made a mistake jetty!!!! i count 3 U.S. carriers not 4 u made a big time mistake. tsk tsk

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
u made a mistake jetty!!!! i count 3 U.S. carriers not 4 u made a big time mistake. tsk tsk

Where did you see Jetsetter saying 4 US carriers? I saw the pic that had 3 US carriers and 1 French carrier. Am Imissing something?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I said four nuclear carriers. The French one is nuclear powered also.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I forgot to say:
Great post Jetsetter!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The pictures taken close to the Norfolk Navy base appear to be taken from a boat in the bay or from the tunnel bridge. It shows several carriers..but only four of the full sized carriers. The Norfolk Navy base also houses the amphibious type carriers for troops , helicopters, and Harrier type aircraft. They will not handle f14s,f18s etc etc as they have no catapult or arresting gear features for this type of operations.
What you see is three large nuclear carriers and the french carrier third one from the right. In the left hand margin you see the amphibious carrier. Some peoples do not know the difference in the amphibious carriers and the full sized carriers. Unless you have been around them a bit they all look alike to many.
I live across the bay from the Navy base..I can see them any day from here.

Thanks ,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
They may have been taken from Fort Wool as the one of the French carrier under way entering the harbor....you can see the lighthouse at Fort Monroe..Olde Point Comefort Lighthouse on post.

Thanks again,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well the french carriier is still atlot smaller then the US carrier.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999 This must be a huge expense on the French economy. And I mean Huge.

France is quite a wealthy nation actually, and has a proud tradition of having an excellent nationalised defence industry. And besides, projects like these provide jobs for thousands of workers and stimulate the economy. That's why US politicians like to fight for defence jobs in their state

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
The pictures taken close to the Norfolk Navy base appear to be taken from a boat in the bay or from the tunnel bridge. It shows several carriers..but only four of the full sized carriers. The Norfolk Navy base also houses the amphibious type carriers for troops , helicopters, and Harrier type aircraft. They will not handle f14s,f18s etc etc as they have no catapult or arresting gear features for this type of operations.
What you see is three large nuclear carriers and the french carrier third one from the right. In the left hand margin you see the amphibious carrier. Some peoples do not know the difference in the amphibious carriers and the full sized carriers. Unless you have been around them a bit they all look alike to many.
I live across the bay from the Navy base..I can see them any day from here.

Thanks ,
Orangetom

Yes I do know the difference. That is why I wrote amphibious assualt ships. An interesting fact is that some countries were thinking about aquiring the ships to use as carriers for Harriers and helicopters. The ship is as big as other nations carriers.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by maninblack
Well the french carriier is still atlot smaller then the US carrier.

That is because is cost ALOT to running carriers the size of the US Nimitz class.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I had thought that the DeGaulle was in the 79,000 ton class. Here, she looks to be only in the 50,000 ton class at best

What is her displacement as compared to the Tarawa class(40,000)?

Size doesn't really matter as much with her either, as her Rafales and Super Etendards make her the most potent ship not in the U.S. Fleet.

Three or four of those, and France has some really mean power projection ability.

[edit on 6/9/2005 by soulforge]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
She is much lower than 79,000. More like 46,000 will a full load.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
49000 on nuclear power.. seems like a power over kill..

How many jets on the DeGaulle?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
No problems Jetsetter ..its just that some people dont know..Im glad you do. To some a carrier is a carrier. No difference in them.
As to France being a wealthy nation...ok...if you say so Dr Funk. Remember ...they are also in the buisness of building nuclear submarines..which in themselves are quite expensive. They are operating more nuc subs than nuc aircraft carriers. This is a huge expense on the nation. It is not just carriers we are talking about. Dont forget the planes to go on them..the soap powder used in the laundry...the merchandize for the ships store , food, oils , lubricants, Jet fuels, jet grade oils..etc etc.etc. et al. Repeat this minus the jets and jet fuels for submarines and other vessels. Got the point. It is a huge drain on a nations wealth ...period..even ours.
In the nuclear aircraft carrier buisness undoubtedly they have to start somewhere. Hence the point I made about wondering what design changes for new models or changes incorporated in the next docking and repairs...where modifications are often incorporated.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not overkill if you want to have a ship that you do not want to refuel. The US Navy used to have many nuclear powered cruisers. Ships that are smaller than carriers.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
yes I know ..they were built here at Newport News Shipbuilding and I worked to build some of them.
Agree about not having to refuel them..that is their main attraction. Still very expensive in initial design and construction. Nuclear grade materials are not something one gets at Home Depot, the Local Marina, or Auto Zone..meaning huge increases in costs.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I was replying to Daedalus3's post actually. Sorry about the confusion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join