It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Jerusalem City Council Orders Homes of 1,000 Palestinians to Be Destroyed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The Jerusalem City Council has called for the destruction of 1,000 Palestinian homes to be destroyed in a neighborhood claimed by Jewish settlers. The council has insisted that over the last 30 years, these homes were built on sites of religious and archaeological significance. Israel peace activist claim that the real intent of the Israeli government is to eradicate Palestinians from the area.

www.guardian.co.uk
Jerusalem's city council has ordered one of the largest mass demolitions in the city's recent history, with plans to raze the homes of about 1,000 Palestinians in a neighbourhood claimed by Jewish settlers.

The council says about 90 buildings served with demolition orders were built illegally over the last three decades on a site of religious and archaeological value just outside the Old City walls, and that they are being destroyed to restore the area as a national park.

But Israeli human rights campaigners say the real intent is to forcibly remove Palestinians from an area, Silwan, that is an important link in the government's plan to encircle Arab East Jerusalem with Jewish settlements.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Activist opposed to the demolition claim that this action by the Israeli government is to ensure that it will be impossible for East Jerusalem to be the Palestinian capital. Others claim that it has nothing to do with archaeology or religion but politics.

The government funded demolition company, Elad, has already taken over 40 homes in the area.

Related News Links:
www.cityofdavid.org.il

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Why, yes, now that they mention it...
those are holy sites... along with the entire country...

So maybe they ALL should leave... and preserve the entire country as a huge theme park...

otherwise... yep, just the same ol eviction by destruction...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Has anyone checked out the Related New Story Link of the government sponsored company who will actually demolition the homes? It seems as if it's saturated with Zionist propaganda.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Are israeli arabs prohibited from the City council? ALso, those homes, they're there illegally. If the city as a whole decides to demolsih them, well, thats the breaks.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I wonder how the Arabs feel about this?

The last thing we need is unstability in the middle east!

oh, wait ... didn't we do that already?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Just so you know, there's a big difference between destroying "1,000 Palestinian homes" and destroying "1,000 Palestinians' homes."

The latter is the correct description of the situation. The title of your article was right on, but your introduction was wrong. Knowing their keen ability to pack several generations of family members into cramped quarters, a thousand Palestinians could probably be found in less than 100 homes. That's about 900 homes short of what you're claiming are being destroyed.

And people wonder how rumors get started!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Are israeli arabs prohibited from the City council? ALso, those homes, they're there illegally. If the city as a whole decides to demolsih them, well, thats the breaks.

I'll quote you a piece from the article that addresses the illegality.

He acknowledged that many of the affected houses were built illegally, but says that was because of a council policy not to issue construction permits to Palestinians. The mayor of Jerusalem, Uri Lupolianski, has declined to comment publicly on the demolitions.

Among those served with a demolition order is Mo hammed Badran, who says he was born in 1961 in the house the council now wants to raze.

Mr Badran has papers from the British mandate era in the 20s that appear to show his grandfather owned the land where the house now stands.

"I have been taxed on this house since the day they introduced it to East Jerusalem in 1973," he said. "If the house was illegal, why did they take the tax?"

Those homes should stay.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Question:

Where will the people that lived in this 1000 Homes go?

Imagine living without any roof over your head - would that make you angry?

Its just incredible how people then ask themselves, why these Palestinians dont stop defending themselve with all means necessary.

1000 homes destroyed - 1000 more Hamas memebers.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Question:

Where will the people that lived in this 1000 Homes go?

To legal residences?

Imagine living without any roof over your head - would that make you angry?

Not angry enough to blow up other people if thats what you are getting at. I'd also be pretty pissed at myself for buying a house that was illegally put up in the first place.

1000 homes destroyed - 1000 more Hamas memebers.

Then it will be a thousand more people for the israeli government to have every legal right to arrest and kill.

ace of base
"I have been taxed on this house since the day they introduced it to East Jerusalem in 1973," he said. "If the house was illegal, why did they take the tax?"

indeed, why was he taxed. Obviously thats an issue that has to be cleared up.

Also, are they giving the people who live there any compensation?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
My initial response to this article was, ironically enough, based on reading a different article than the one provided (one of the potential pitfalls of heavy tab-based browsing).

The error in the lead-in of overstating the number of homes involved by a factor of ten seems to have confused some of our fellow members, who are now using the figure as if it were correct.

If Simulacra is no longer able to edit the article, I recommend requesting that a moderator do so.

[edit on 6/7/2005 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
ah, but no news article on how many Jewish homes were destroyed this week? Or how many by various Palestinian mortar attacks?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Because there's more emotional response and outrage over "those nasty Jews" abusing "those poor Palestinians".

A factor of ten exaggeration with just a small correction, what a bonus! Can always claim it was an accident after everyone gets all outraged.

Another "million" man march situation.

Originally posted by Majic
My initial response to this article was, ironically enough, based on reading a different article than the one provided (one of the potential pitfalls of heavy tab-based browsing).

The error in the lead-in of overstating the number of homes involved by a factor of ten seems to have confused some of our fellow members, who are now using the figure as if it were correct.

If Simulacra is no longer able to edit the article, I recommend requesting that a moderator do so.

[edit on 6/7/2005 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
ah, but no news article on how many Jewish homes were destroyed this week? Or how many by various Palestinian mortar attacks?

That's probably because there were no Jewish homes destroyed this week.
They usually just go after Arab homes.

Rabbis for Human Rights

Q. If a Jewish homeowner in Jerusalem builds without a permit, won't his or her house be demolished just like an Arab's house?
A. Amnesty International confirms that an approximately equal number of Jewish structures receive demolition orders each year. But Palestinian homes are typically completely demolished, whereas AI's investigators could not find a single Jewish home that was demolished completely between 1967 and 1999. If a demolition actually takes place, most typically illegal porches, sheds and entryways are destroyed. Deputy Mayor Haim Miller was quoted in 1998 saying, "I don't sign demolition orders for Jewish homes, only for Arabs." (Yediot Acharonot 2/7/98)

If you read through that link I posted, it gives some detailed information on the housing situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was also referring to those demolished by mortar and rocket attacks, car bombs, and burnings. Not just in disputed territories but in other parts of the world where Arabs have problems getting along with their neighbors.

Ah, Amnesty International. Who is doing everything they can to remove the one non-lethal ranged weapon a citizen could legally wield. Because of a half dozen doped-to-the-gills suspects who may have died in connection with the taser usage, or not, but it doesn't matter because there was something that could be taken away from the police and citizens that allows them to *not* need big government to protect them.

Originally posted by AceOfBase

That's probably because there were no Jewish homes destroyed this week.
They usually just go after Arab homes.

Rabbis for Human Rights

Q. If a Jewish homeowner in Jerusalem builds without a permit, won't his or her house be demolished just like an Arab's house?
A. Amnesty International confirms that an approximately equal number of Jewish structures receive demolition orders each year. But Palestinian homes are typically completely demolished, whereas AI's investigators could not find a single Jewish home that was demolished completely between 1967 and 1999. If a demolition actually takes place, most typically illegal porches, sheds and entryways are destroyed. Deputy Mayor Haim Miller was quoted in 1998 saying, "I don't sign demolition orders for Jewish homes, only for Arabs." (Yediot Acharonot 2/7/98)

If you read through that link I posted, it gives some detailed information on the housing situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I was also referring to those demolished by mortar and rocket attacks, car bombs, and burnings. Not just in disputed territories but in other parts of the world where Arabs have problems getting along with their neighbors.

There was appernetly only one instance of an Israeli home being demolished by a Palestinian but I'm sure that some have had some damage.

Homes destroyed

Here are some other figures:

Israeli and Palestinian Children Killed Since September 29, 2000

www.ifamericansknew.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here's anothere site with information on Palestinian homes that were destroyed.
This is from the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights.

www.btselem.org...

B’Tselem only has statistics on house demolitions for alleged military purposes for 2004. A number of international bodies have presented estimates of house demolitions in Gaza for the entire intifada. According to a report presented to the Commission on Human Rights by its special rapporteur, Professor John Dugard, from September 2000 to February 2004, Israel destroyed 1,640 housing units, in which some 15,000 people lived. According to figures of UNRWA, from the beginning of the intifada to September 2004, Israel destroyed some 2,370 housing units in the Gaza Strip, leaving approximately 22,800 people homeless.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yeah those damn palestians should never have lived there. Oh wait, they were there this whole time. Whoops my bad. Go Israel, they do no wrong. I cant wait for Jesus to come back because without the lunatics in power in washington Jesus wont come back. We will make him come back damnit.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think Zionist are getting closer to rebuild their Solomon Temple every day.

Religion?

Politricks? (I took that word from miss worldwatcher, I love the meaning)

Who really cares - as long as those Pesky Palestinians are out of the picture and more Bigger and Better Homes are built.

I suggest you take a look at the documentary called Gaza Strip, and take a look at the Frontline in the middle of the City.

Guess who is Winning - and its not the Palestinian people.

Not only homes are being demolished, but also Olive trees, simbol of Peace.

Hundred and Hundred year old Olive trees.

Are Isreali's destroying hundreds years of Peace with just that action?

Because thats what they are doing!

No wonder PLO, Hamas and Hizb'Allah has more members every day, who dont want to give their weapons away.

I didnt see no Palestinians chopping down Olive trees.

Nor did I see them driving a bulldozer right into the a bunch of homes, protected by a column of tanks.

top topics

join