It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont think smoking is as bad as they say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Ive been smoking for 40 years and im fine , no coughs or anything, perhaps the anti smoking brigade are wrong.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
there is another thread on this which someone posted that it might not be tobbaco that is the problem but the chemicals that are used to keep bugs away, and protect the crop.

personaly i have wondered if the cancer problem is being caused by the manipulaton and chemicals used in our food supply. i see tobbaco as just possibly magnifying it a bit.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Smoke up! I'm in VA so you not only support the farmers in my state and the companies that make their home here, you help keep my taxes lower by paying so much tax on each pack.

I also work in healthcare, so you're keeping me employed for a long long time
Ahhh job security.

Thanks!

Also just a thought - one theory is some people are born with so called onocogenes that predispose them to cancer when exposed to the right stimuli. Perhaps you are one of the lucky ones without that cancer jump start. One thing smoking can do for sure and does for any smoker is reduce your body's ability to heal from infection and major trauma. As long as you're accident free, you may never realize the effects on your body and may lead a long life.

Believing that the anti-smoking folks are wrong may also have somewhat of a placebo effect. If you're not stressed over your health or lack of control etc, you may be happier and therefor healthier. Worrying and expecting to be struck ill may be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Please don't tell me this, I'm struggling to give up the dread weed and chewing on nicotine gum like it's going out of fashion.

I don't want excuses to cave in!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
Ive been smoking for 40 years and im fine , no coughs or anything, perhaps the anti smoking brigade are wrong.

But could you run a mile and make the same claims? Would you outlast a non-smoker? Maybe you just don't realize there's any problems simply because you haven't been put in a situation that would be physically stressful on your lungs?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
My Dad smoked and died of emphysema. Keep hanging in there it gets easier with each passing day and I know you probably don't believe itnow but in the future you will go for days then weeks without ever thinking about a cigarette, pease keep trying. I quit 6 years ago and I am glad I did.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This one's realy funny! In my med A-Z, it state's that smoking diminish's the onset of Parkinson's Disease, so as far as i'm concerned, i'ed rather take my risk's of cancer, than get brain drain of my right hemiphere 'Boss'!

Anyway, cancer is triggered by a light time frequency, and the ancient Egyptian's avoided this trigger by painting black around the eye's to reflect the trigger light!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Your only fooling yourselves. Smoking is BAD for your health, its been proven countless times. There are well documented carcinogens in cigarettes, your just lucky if you don't get cancer. I'm sure I don't need to provide any links Google will do that for you.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

smoking effect you lung

one big proof if you go it a dusty or smokey are you will cough as will as smoking

as for you maybe you lucky

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Extreme Ignorance.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudlessKnight

But could you run a mile and make the same claims? Would you outlast a non-smoker? Maybe you just don't realize there's any problems simply because you haven't been put in a situation that would be physically stressful on your lungs?

Yep that would be the test for how much smoking has effected you. You don't even have to run a mile, two city blocks will show the effect, from hard breathing, pounding pulse, and I bet you will actually be able to hear your heartbeating like a hammer.

DO NOT TRY THIS
After 40 years of smoking your chances of actually dropping dead of a heart attack after this experiment are high. Better to test on a treadmill at a doctors office so they can tell you when
to stop and treat you should you go into cardiac arrest.

Cancer from smoking seems genetic. Some people die in their 30's and 40's.
Meanwhile my grandfather who smoked filterless from the age of 13, died in his sleep at the age of 84. My grandmother who gave up smoking fourty years earlier suffered through multiple hospitalizations in her final ten years, but she outlasted hiim by at least 18 months, his second hand smoke probably didn't do her any good.

My great grandmother died at 76, I think she smoked for about 60 years. What killed her? Colon cancer, from SEED DEPOSITS!!! Yep, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, that kind of stuff, stuck in her colon, caused a mass to grow, and blamo dead as a doornail, but not lung cancer or heart disease!

My other grandmother, died at 55 of liver disease from alcohol, her husband outlasted her about 15 years, and died of heart disease: lifelong heavy drinking and smoking.

Now my wife's father has had two strokes before he reached 56, and he was a world famous handball coach, never smoked. So much for living the healthy athletic lifestyle eh? Where did the strokes come from? Diet.

Here's a psuedo-scientific experiment I would like to see.
Take twenty people and put them in a room, have all of them smoke a cigarette, and stay in the room for twenty minutes. The result will be 20 people with red eyes, and sore throats.
Take twenty people and put them in a room, insert automobile exhuast for twenty minutes.
What will be the result? 20 dead people

So which is worse?
Every time I tell people that I refuse to drive, they tell me "You have to drive!"
I don't see anyone saying "You have to smoke"

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Just started this thread as i feel smoking has become a scape goat for anything that is wrong with you nowadays. The anti smoking brigade trump up nonsensical stuff like having to breath second hand smoke gives you less of a life expectancy. What happened some chancers reading this decided to sue there employers for smoke related disease thats not proven. Now nobody wants smokers in their workplace for fear of being sued, so every smoker is discriminated against with no proof.
I'm not saying Smoking is good for you , I'm saying the results of smoking are unproven as many smokers live long lives.There are many things out there that are carcinogenic that wont be banned because its not as easy to get rid of them , like cars and radiation from atomic tests.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My girlfriend quit smoking a little over a year ago. And when she used to smoke she couldn't climb a flight of stairs without getting all fatigued and breathing heavy. A couple of months after she quit one the first changes she noticed was that she could climb stairs and not feel fatigued at all.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As of June 8th I will be quit for one year. It is strange but some people complain that they get sick when they quit smoking.

On one of my prior quits I was diagnosed for hypo thyroid disease. No, I didn't get the disease because I quit, but the smoking was covering the symptoms.

The main reason for the success of this current quit and the ability to stay quit is the cost of cigarettes. Simple economics....eat or smoke?

edit for spell.

[edit on 6/6/2005 by Mahree]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Guess we all got to go somehow.

Personally i feel sorry for the kids that die from starvation everyday as they didn't even get a chance to smoke.

When we can take care of everyone then we can start to preach on whats right and wrong !!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I dont want to hear from people who have quit smoking because they have a medical problem , but people like me who have smoked for years and not suffered from it.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
There is nothing more sane for people with a wish to be dead or to have a prolonged bout of emphysema than the deliberate habitual inhalation of any kind of smoke.

But make it cigarettes, and support an industry that preys on fools' weaknesses and nicotine addiction while it glamorizes the most unglamorous self-pollution.

Smoking cigarettes is also wonderful for the complexion, and it gives women a nice husky transvestite voice.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I dont want to hear from people who have quit smoking because they have a medical problem , but people like me who have smoked for years and not suffered from it.

How do you know you have not suffered from it?
You maybe able to run good, PT your arse off and swim 1000 meters
with no problem....but how do you know that you would not better
if you did not smoke?

Ive been smoke free for over 2 months, I was one of those people who thought smoking did not really affect me like it does others.....I was wrong.
My three miler has improved by about one minute and it's easier for me to swim my usual swims....so yeah, I know it helps everyone who quits...people WILL improve after quiting. You'll regret smoking 20 years later.

Also most women seem to think that smoking is very unsexy....mainly in the US. Over here in Europe it was harder my myself to quit....cause every other person smokes. I actually quit for a women (Im a sucker for blonde hair and blue eyes
) she said smoking was not cool, she did'nt know I smoked.....so I kept it that way, and have not smoked ever since.

Ahh the power of women!!

[edit on 6/6/2005 by SportyMB]

[edit on 6/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Perhaps its time smokers stopped listening to the crap that is said about them and stood up to the lies. People treat smokers like they treated lepers years ago. We live in a society that bans things for reasons of money and deny them the freedom of smoking. Another freedom gone, whats the point in a democracy that denies a freedom, its a waste of time. I don't think we have any freedom anymore , the Governments see to that.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

We live in a society that bans things for reasons of money and deny them the freedom of smoking

I agree....If people choose to smoke, let them. It's thier lungs and thier life. Tobacco is way overtaxed too, IMO. But that is not the arguement....the arguement is wether or not smoking affects people or not.
And my answer is YES it does.....that is fact for everyone. Just like years of McD's will effect people....ever seen that movie SuperSize Me?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join