It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New UK power station to be fuelled by grass.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The power station is to be built in Staffordshire and will burn locally grown elephant grass to generate electricity. It will supply power for 2,000 homes while saving one tonne of carbon dioxide per hour compared to burning fossil fuels.

www.guardian.co.uk
Britain's first major electricity plant to be fuelled by grass will begin construction later this year.

The £6.5m power station in Staffordshire will be burn locally cultivated elephant grass and will be able to supply 2,000 homes with electricity.

Amanda Gray, director of Eccleshall Biomass, the company behind the power station, said the project was of major importance to rural industry in Staffordshire and offered another way to meet the UK's obligation to reduce carbon emissions, because burning the elephant grass will only release the carbon dioxide that the plants soaked up anyway while they were growing.

The plant would operate for 8,000 hours a year on a 24-hour basis and save one tonne per hour of carbon dioxide, which would otherwise have been emitted using fossil fuels to generate electricity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

2,000 homes may not be much from a global perspective, but I think the important thing here is to try out new ways to supply us with energy. We know Peak Oil is coming, probably sooner than later. In addition there is a considerable environmental benefit.

I hope we will see more projects like this emerging in the next few years.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 30/5/05 by gekko]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Why this hasn't made the news amazes me.

This is an interesting topic and people haven't voted yes enough.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Just goes to show that Staffordshire is the creative county

edit: ok i realise that bit of humour doesn't make any sense, Staffordshire is the creative county apparntly, living here I don't feel slightly creative

[edit on 1-6-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It's a good start but they should really be burning hemp. Bet we'd all move to Staffordshire then.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
It's a good start but they should really be burning hemp. Bet we'd all move to Staffordshire then.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yes... home values downwind of the plant would likely soar in value.

Truly a new 'Pleasantville"

new topics

top topics

join