It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Intel: Iraq Insurgency More Sophisticated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
According to a senior U.S. military intelligence officer, the Iraqi insurgency is gaining sophistication as the militants increase attacks by suicide bombing while guerrillas are improving their surveillance techniques. The senior U.S. Intel officer stated that suicide bombings cause a disproportionate damage and are the 'precision guided weapons' of the insurgency.

news.yahoo.com
Iraq's murky insurgency is gaining in sophistication as foreign militants step up suicide bombings and guerrillas improve surveillance techniques, a senior U.S. military intelligence officer said on Sunday.

While foreign fighters make up only around five percent of the overall insurgency, they are causing disproportionate damage with suicide attacks, the officer said.

"Suicide bombings are their precision guided weapons in terms of the damage against Iraqi civilians," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to the officer, suicide bombings are the most devastating attacks carried out by the insurgency and are the hardest to prevent.

56 suicide bombings have occured just in May 2005.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

While foreign fighters make up only around five percent of the overall insurgency, they are causing disproportionate damage with suicide attacks, the officer said.

Thats a strange thing to say.... I thought, according to King Shrub II and his lackies, that most of the insurgents where foreigners? Now they make up only 5%?

Make up your mind George, did your mother never tell you it was naughty to lie?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
stumason
I would assume that all insurgents are foreigners in our eyes, however in Iraqi, the 5% of foreigners may come from Syria, Iran...etc.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The fact is that insurgents can become an insurgent, no matter where they reside.

One only has to research the Balkan wars to see that this is an age old tactic. And in some cases, a potent one.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

stumason
I would assume that all insurgents are foreigners in our eyes, however in Iraqi, the 5% of foreigners may come from Syria, Iran...etc.

Thats playing on semantics and you know full well what I meant.

The US has claimed previously that most fighters in Iraq have come from outside the country. Clear enough?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't consider suicide bombers more sophisticated, maybe more barbaric. It seems to me that this tactic is pointless. What message are they trying to send? None, all they want is to create fear and cause anarchy. This way of thinking is beyond me. The insurgents are not offering the people of Iraq a better solution, only the promise of more terror if they get their way.

Usually this is a tactic of last resort, so maybe it is a sign that the insurgent are running out of options. But if you look at the Palestinians, they can use this tactic for a long time. I don't think our troops are coming home any time soon. This will continue even if we were to leave.

This is why I thought invading Iraq was a mistake. It is a no win situation.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
stumason

Clear as a whistle.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Oil money buys the best equipment and training. When you've got so much cash you buy passenger jets for fun and profit, what's a little investment in communication technology and training? Especially since suicide bombers are more mobile and cheaper than RPV's.

new topics

top topics

join