It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: Keep Billboards Out of Space (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Advertisement companies are seeking to place billboards in low orbit around Earth. The billboards will appear the size of the moon from the ground. The FFA is attempting to make orbiting advertisements illegal.

www.cnn.com
The Federal Aviation Administration proposed Thursday to amend its regulations to ensure that it can enforce a law that prohibits "obtrusive" advertising in zero gravity.

"Objects placed in orbit, if large enough, could be seen by people around the world for long periods of time," the FAA said in a regulatory filing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This sounds crazy to me. The night sky should be the sky and not an ad for a new car. We already have too many ads down on Earth, we don't need ETs flying by and crashing into a billboard.
Not to mention all the angry astronomers.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
oh for f*** sakes. arn't we inundated enough by advertiseing? can't watch a movie or tv, listen to a raidio, watch a sporting event or even useing the internet shoves advertiseing in your face (no offence to ats sponcers, at least they don't pop up anoyingly).without being subjected to advertiseing. why the hell would i want to see moon sized advertizeing in the sky?

generaly speaking advertiseing has no effect on me other than to piss me off. in fact the only advertizeing that has another effect on me is the first time i see something new or a new movie possibly after the third or fourth time even they anoy me. i don't make desisions on what to do or buy because of the bogus claims made. or the anoying tactics that they use. if anything it turns me off of the product. as far as i'm concerned advertizeing in general is a waste of time and money.

mabe there is a valid reason for space based weapons. to blow advertizeing crap out of the sky.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Somewhere, An Author Is Smiling

This is straight out of science fiction.

I think it's a safe bet that anyone who would dare deface the night sky in such a way is looking for some major lawsuits from almost every nation on earth.

Odds are, one of them would stick.

More importantly, however, anyone using such an ad tactic would most likely see a drop in sales -- and an increase in very unhappy things on the PR front.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

"Large advertisements could destroy the darkness of the night sky," regulators said.

Not could - They WOULD.

I think anyone who dared launch an ad into space would face huge boycotting, amongst other things.

It would make me so angry to see an advertisment in space; I revel when I look up into the night sky, and to see ads up there would completely ruin what it is. It would diminish the beauty of it all.

top topics

join