It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israeli Troops Take Over Palestinian Family's Home to Watch Soccer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Military sources have confirmed that Israeli Defense Troops broke into the home of a Palestinian family in order to watch a soccer match. Channel 10 footage of the house along with the account of the Palestinian family depicts that the Israeli Troops smashed several pieces of furniture and windows inside the house which is located in a small city off the West Bank. The Israeli Defense Soldiers admitted to invading the Palestinian home in order to watch the results of a soccer match.

www.haaretz.com
Israel Defense Forces soldiers barged into a Palestinian home and commandeered its television room so they could watch a soccer match, a military source said on Friday after a TV report on the incident.

Footage on Channel 10 TV showed broken furniture and windows in the room of the house in the West Bank city of Hebron where the television station said the troops watched Wednesday's Champions League final between AC Milan and Liverpool.

The Palestinian family living in the house said the soldiers caused the damage. The military source confirmed five soldiers entered the dwelling to view the match but said they stayed only for a few minutes and did not break anything.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The commander of the squad in question has been suspended from duty. A Palestinian family member was walking down the street with the soldiers approached him and questioned if he had a Television set along with a Satellite Dish. The soldiers then followed the teenage home and kicked the members of the house into another room as they destroyed the house and watched the soccer match.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

This defiantly shows how Israeli soldiers feel they are above the Palestinians. Definitely a total abuse in there power. Even worse, I highly doubt that such abuses are unusual.

Though at least the there was punishment for it but suspension does seem a bit light, especially for just the commander. Hopefully for punishments are coming for them or…

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thank you for the article, it's related to : www.abovetopsecret.com... (Amnesty Slams Israeli War Crimes)

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A minor incident... in the scheme of the ills inflicted during any military/police occupation........ but truly stupid and the very type of issue that generates disproportionate reaction.

A typical response would be to dismember a crowd of Tel-Aviv restaurant goers with a suicide bomb. Hardly equitable.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well this is just plain wrong if true. There is no excuse for this action. I mean it is not like it was the SuperBowl or anything.

Still - bad PR move.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
why do i suspect that these troops were also guilty of deriliction of duty, on top of being copleatly beligerant morons? seems to me that they were suppost to be on patroll at the time. otherwise they would have watched at home.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is sheer stupidity and the soldiers should be punished. As drogo mentioned there could be a LOT of charges filed on these idiots and I for one think that an example should be made out of them to show the Israelis are serious about keeping THEIR side of the peace.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If the Israeli's don't believe this deserves that much punishment, I wonder how they would react if the headline read "Palestinean armed bandits broke into an Israeli home just to watch the end of a football or soccer match." I can think of several criminal charges if this happened in the US or other countries such as breaking and entering, threatening to do bodily harm, damage of property, and probably many more. I'm not sure of possible charges so correct me if I'm wrong. Dereliction of duty just came to mind as another possible charge.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have mixed emmotion. I'm angry that they would do such a thing. Thats a complete lack of discipline.

On the other hand thats freakin hilarious. It makes me wonder, was the match really important. I mean maybe if the world cup was on, but I didn't think one match was that important. This is the kind of stuff you see on commercials.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
orion has the right idea.

I would make a public example out of these idiots. What an absolutely stupid thing to do.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Aside from any punishments handed out to the soldiers and their commanders for taking part in this awful act, the Palestinian family should most definitely be reimbursed for any damage done to their home. In fact, they should be paid above and beyond what the damage was. They should be given a big screen TV and a couple lazy boy recliners!

The actions of the IDF make it harder and harder for me to call them an "ally."

top topics

join