It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: First Lady Mobbed in Holy Land

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
First Lady Laura Bush faced angry protesters from both sides of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict during her visit to Jerusalem. Dozens of Jewish protesters shouted "Free Pollard now!" in reference to Jonathan Pollard, who is currently serving a life sentence in a US prison for spying on behalf of Israel. The Secret Service and Israeli police had to hold back the crowd of protesters as Mrs. Bush visited the Western Wall, leaving a note which she refused to reveal the contents of. The First Lady also did not receive a warm welcome later in the day on her visit to Jericho.

apnews.myway.com
JERUSALEM (AP) - Protesters besieged Laura Bush during her visit Sunday to two of Jerusalem's most sacred sites, with Israeli police locking arms to restrain the crowd and Secret Service agents packed tightly around America's first lady.

Stepping into the long-running Mideast conflict, she appealed for Israelis and Palestinians to commit to working for peace and said Americans "will do what they can in this process."

The demonstrations at the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock showed "what an emotional place this is as we go from each one of these very, very holy sites to the next," Mrs. Bush said later in the West Bank town of Jericho as she stood at the ruins of the 8th-century Hisham's Palace

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems as though this Newsweek article about the Koran desecration by guards at Guantanimo Bay is not going to die down anytime soon. The Islamic terrorist group, Hamas, issued a statement calling Mrs. Bush's visit to the Middle East "an attempt to whitewash the face of the United States," after coming under attack for the alleged incidents at Gitmo. With Newsweek prepared to go to press with yet more allegations this week, it will be interesting to see how the remainder of her trip goes.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Miss Laura should stay close to home and let her Mr.President husband and the rest of the klan do the travelling. She would be safer here.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I would imagine that something like this would be expected. I would be angry also.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Name should be changed to NewsWEAK.

What would the idiot publishers have said if something would have happened to Mrs. Bush?

My guess is nothing, AND they would have spent the next week, coming up with more semi-believable tripe, to support the previous weeks tripe..

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Good, maybe it will give the Bush Aristocracy a desperately needed reality check. Alot of people really don't like that little turd.
On a side note, Free Pollard? LOL they should have put him against a wall with the rest of the "Art Students" and executed them as soon as they found the MOSSAD connections to 9-11. Free Pollard... what a joke.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
oh, god forbid anything should happen to mrs boosh...

[unnecessarily explicit content of sexual and violent nature removed]

[edit on 22-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
gee, wonder why I don't post much anymore.
See above..
What a freak of a response..

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The newsweek article did not spark the hostility towards the US in the Middle East. I hope I really do not have to explain that people in the Middle East and all over the world have been hostile towards the US for a long time. I really don't know what else to say about that. I just think it's silly to attribute all the tension in the Middle East to some article in Newsweek.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Jamuhn,

right, I agree..It did not spark anything.
Newsweek inflamed an already burning fire..shame on them..

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Newsweek sure did put fuel in the fire. But if indeed Mr. Bush is trying to whitewash anything, it is not only the Newsweek article, it is the sum of adminstration decisions throughout the years.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Symbolic trips like this, in my humble opinion, are a mistake. People are majorly ticked at us, to say the least. They don't want gestures- they want problems solved.
When we've worked out sollutions that will make those who want peace happy, and helped exterminate those who do not want peace, then we can send the First Lady on sight seeing trips without worrying about her safety.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
When I posted this story I in no way meant to insinuate or state that Newsweek is responsible for the hatred towards America. I understand the reputation we have earned in the Middle East and throughout the world. What I was imlpying is that the Newsweek article is what inspired the latest outbreak of protests in places like Afghanistan. The Newsweek article is also the reason for one of the protests against Mrs. Bush in Jericho. The people were protesting over the alleged desecration of the Koran, which was reported to them by Newsweek magazine, originally. Newsweek is in no way responsible for any previous negative opinion of or protest against the US and/or its government representatives.

I know our nation has a long history of meddling in global affairs, sometimes for the better, but sometimes for the worse. I understand that the hatred some have for our nation goes back, in some instances, over a century.

PS- This was my first contribution to ATSNN. Within minutes of posting it, I started receiving U2U's about members voting "NO" for my story. Some said it was already reported here. Some said I had incorrect grammar/spelling in the title. I just don't get it. I couldn't find this story anywhere in the ATSNN headlines. I've read my title a hundred times and fail to see any grammar or spelling error(s) in it. It's the negative posts and "no" votes by some here on ATS that really turn people off. I'm a brand new contributor, which anyone can see by looking under my screen name. God forbid someone cut me some slack. Instead people who have no lives get their rocks off by criticising the submissions of others. It really makes me think twice about submitting another article in the future and trying to better this community that we have here.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Rasputin13]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
When I posted this story I in no way meant to insinuate or state that Newsweek is responsible for the hatred towards America.

I didn't read your post that way, but it would be an instant propaganda tool with a short window of opportunity to hold a questionable report responsible for anti-Bush sentiment. Who has the real facts about treatment of qu'rans by officers in places where foreign citizens have been incarcerated? What is the truth?

It's the same M.O. to cover Bush's record as a military shirker - "manufacture" a story with some fake documents, create a furore over it, and the gullible amongst the people will no longer think you were a military shirker.

In the U.S., you can fool enough of the people enough of the time.

I know our nation has a long history of meddling in global affairs, sometimes for the better

In my opinion, the very nature of "meddling" cannot be for the better, because:

(1) self-determination is the key tenet under which democracy can grow, not an imposed foreign model and puppetry act

(2) the motivation for "meddling" is never wholesome, it is self-serving and as in the current Iraq occupation, it is corrupt and criminal.

PS- This was my first contribution to ATSNN. Within minutes of posting it, I started receiving U2U's about members voting "NO" for my story.

That's par for the course. People can vote however they want to, without consequence and without any relevance to the quality and newsworthiness of the topic being presented. This is a "community driven" news portal and that kind of behavior defines the kind of "community" we are. Don't worry about ATSNN voting, it's dross and not worth contemplating any significance in.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Rasputin, I think people got confused cause someone posted this story after you did. If not, I'm not sure why, I voted for it, I know I always like hearing about protests against Bush.

But, if it's criticism you're worried about, you should be accustomed to it by now. It's all over ATS. That's how we communicate I guess, sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's nasty. As long as it's constructive, I don't think there should be a problem. But hey, your story gotted accepted!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
See also:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originall posted by Jamuhn
Rasputin, I think people got confused cause someone posted this story after you did. If not, I'm not sure why, I voted for it, I know I always like hearing about protests against Bush.

Actually, I posted this story about 2 hours earlier. That was the point of my earlier post. A mod previously suggested that I post a link when this kind of thing happens. I think I'll just ignore it when it happens in the future. C'est la vie (or however it's spelled).

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I was hoping someone would post something about this.

Laura Bush had no reason going to the Dome of the Rock. None what-so-ever.

She is, as we all know, definitely not a Muslim. Her husband's administration is not Muslim friendly. She's not the typical tourist. If I was in Jerusalem I would love to see the place, I would be a typical tourist. I'd love to speak with followers of the Islamic faith that actually live in the Holy Land about their religion - and my religions interaction in the region. For the most part Christians and Muslims are peaceful people that hold no ill will towards each other. Honestly. That's propaganda right there. That we hate each other over a god and a book. We hate each other for the small minority of extremists that distort those books and do and say awful/ignorant things because of that. And are pointed out by everyone that wants to show how stupid the other side is...which are usually people that have no affiliation with either religion and are trying to make a political point.

This has nothing to do with the Newsweek article and everything to do with the current administration's stances in the region. Would you be comfortable if Iran invaded Mexico and occupied the country? I doubt it.

It's the people that support the needless killing of others over the desecration of a book that should take a look at their beliefs. No, Islamic extremists have no right to do that. Only by a distortion of the Koran do they. I'd personally piss on the versions of the Bible and Koran the people are reading that tell them to hate. That's not a tenet of either religion.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Im glad others have brought up the point about Newsweek. Trying to say that all this is Newsweeks fault is ludicrous. I think the reasons why are self-evident.

I think its also pertintent to show the whole Hamas statement as it really changes the meaning from what was truncated in the original post.

"We in principle don't reject anyone's visit to the Al Aqsa Mosque (compound), but we see in the visit of Mrs. Bush an attempt to whitewash the face of the United States, after the crimes that the American interrogators had committed when they desecrated the Quran,"

"We in principle don't reject anyone's visit to the Al Aqsa Mosque" thats a rather liberal view from a typically demonized militant Islamic group. You'd think if these were the kind of people we are told they are day in day out that they'd say something like "We reject all christian and jewish visits to Al Aqsa". But they didnt, they said they dont mind any one visiting Al Aqsa but in this case they find it wrong. I bet thats sounding far too logical and reasonable for those who continue to demonize muslims to further their agendas.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It didn't spark it..and me throwing gasoline onto a campfire that I didn't start, means I'm absolved of arson?

I keep forgetting that it was george bush who started the whole Muslim hostility. He should never have defended Spain against the Moors back in the 16th century.

Which reminds me-out of any dozen newspaper cartoons depicting Star Wars fans and the new movie, most of them are downright sterotypically offensive in their depiction as all fans being parent-basement-dwelling, comic book collecting, no-job-having, no-girl-liking slobs. The rest are either lame-ass attempts to thow in some Bush bashing, or are attacking George Lucas' motivations in making the film (you mean it's really about filthy lucre?!)

This means, according to Arabic world logic, that all geeks should rise up in violent protest, burning news stands, slaying anyone even remotely connected with the media or it's employees, doesn't it?

I'm using a stuffed Wookie on a stick as my torch...

(and isn't Jedi an official religion listed on ballot or census forms in some nations?)

Originally posted by Jamuhn
The newsweek article did not spark the hostility towards the US in the Middle East. I hope I really do not have to explain that people in the Middle East and all over the world have been hostile towards the US for a long time. I really don't know what else to say about that. I just think it's silly to attribute all the tension in the Middle East to some article in Newsweek.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Don't worry, it means there is some equality here. I get them whever I try to remind people that either the muslim/rest of the world hatred didn't just start when Bush was elected, or whevever I try to remind people that if they look past the partisan hype the Media pushes, they'll see most of our elected officials from any party are untrustowrthy greedy and dangerous people.

You want to get a lot of flak, don't kiss *anyone's* arse. It's not good enough to not vote for Bush, or Kerry-you gotta choose a side! No one likes you if you call an apple an apple, decide to point out flaws in both sides of an argument, or even worse, praise the "enemy" when he's doing the right thing.

Oh yeah, moral judgements are bad too
Unless they're against white men, Christians, and/or Jews.

Originally posted by Rasputin13
When I posted this story I in no way meant to insinuate or state that Newsweek is responsible for the hatred towards America. I understand the reputation we have earned in the Middle East and throughout the world. What I was imlpying is that the Newsweek article is what inspired the latest outbreak of protests in places like Afghanistan. The Newsweek article is also the reason for one of the protests against Mrs. Bush in Jericho. The people were protesting over the alleged desecration of the Koran, which was reported to them by Newsweek magazine, originally. Newsweek is in no way responsible for any previous negative opinion of or protest against the US and/or its government representatives.

I know our nation has a long history of meddling in global affairs, sometimes for the better, but sometimes for the worse. I understand that the hatred some have for our nation goes back, in some instances, over a century.

PS- This was my first contribution to ATSNN. Within minutes of posting it, I started receiving U2U's about members voting "NO" for my story. Some said it was already reported here. Some said I had incorrect grammar/spelling in the title. I just don't get it. I couldn't find this story anywhere in the ATSNN headlines. I've read my title a hundred times and fail to see any grammar or spelling error(s) in it. It's the negative posts and "no" votes by some here on ATS that really turn people off. I'm a brand new contributor, which anyone can see by looking under my screen name. God forbid someone cut me some slack. Instead people who have no lives get their rocks off by criticising the submissions of others. It really makes me think twice about submitting another article in the future and trying to better this community that we have here.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Rasputin13]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join