It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it that religions have to make the decisions for all of us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No offense to people and their religions but we won't get any further along 50 years from now than we are now. I say this because religion is drastically holding us back from furthering ourselves as a species because to them everything is against their gods wishes. ie:stem cell research. We need to continue with science and religion should not interfere. Your beliefs should stay at home or in church. You are hurting us and slowing our species down. Let us use our intellect and continue forward. Stop saying we can't do this because of a god. Many of us don't share your beliefs and you should not make the decisions for everyone like you seem to do now. Religion and the gov't seem to work together. There's the conspiracy. Stop being so controlling please.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by I See You]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That was nothing more than a blurb thrown in to try and fit it into the conspiracy forum. You know it, I know it, Bob Dole knows it. Oops, I mentioned Bob Dole. Now it should be in politics, right?

So, you think that morals belong in the house or in the church, huh? Too bad. You believe that the Creator, who gives us knowledge in the first place, will give us more if we keep Him hidden, huh? For 6,000 years, nothing changed in makind's myopic world, and then knowledge came in huge leaps. We were much more a nation of faith then, than we are now.

Opinions based on bigotry are not very helpful.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As I said no offense but you got that way as usual. There is conspiracy there, we can all see it. Where is the bogotry? My opinions?

[edit on 22-5-2005 by I See You]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
That was nothing more than a blurb thrown in to try and fit it into the conspiracy forum. You know it, I know it, Bob Dole knows it. Oops, I mentioned Bob Dole. Now it should be in politics, right?

So, you think that morals belong in the house or in the church, huh? Too bad. You believe that the Creator, who gives us knowledge in the first place, will give us more if we keep Him hidden, huh? For 6,000 years, nothing changed in makind's myopic world, and then knowledge came in huge leaps. We were much more a nation of faith then, than we are now.

Opinions based on bigotry are not very helpful.

Yep the usual statment "too bad" works very well for ya huh? No I don't believe a creator gave us anything and you don't keep him hidden. We are being held back because of religion and you just proved it more by using god and his whatever as a scapegoat again.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Religion doesn't make decisions for us at all, neither the creator since human kind has been walking the earth and that has been for more than thousands of years.

We humans are the ones that make the decisions in the name of both..........religion and the creator.

So remember God, our creator and religion is not to blame.....only us humans.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I did not put any blame on your creator in my original post. You are right when you say that we humans make choices for him though and not for humankind in itself. That is why I say that religion is holding us back from furthering ourselves as stated in original post.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Is it religion? Or is it the perception of religion. How about listing what it is that religion is holding us back from doing....

God wrought us into the world with free will and an inspiration that was telling us there are certain things we want to avoid as a society.

Murder, Corruption, Envy, Oppression, Slavery, and a host of other things. It isnt religion thats holding us back so much in that its individuals thinking that the whole world is their oyster at the cost of others regardless of the price.

Truth, Love, and Beauty. What I think the original intent of the Lord God was.
Institutionalized religion isnt out there telling us to do horrid things, but in certain respects, it is discrimintory. On that I will agree.

How about listing 5 things specifically holding you back by religion.

Peace

[edit on 23-5-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
So, you think that morals belong in the house or in the church, huh? Too bad.

Why does "moral" have to be synonymous with "religious"?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It's faulty logic to assume that the entire sub-culture known as "religion" is holding back our advancements....

It's human nature to question our existence...Therefore, we question everything around us - We observe, we learn and we react.....As a result of our democratic system, we take into consideration the wishes of all groups of people - Not just the fragments we want to hear....

Advancement of technology in your eyes may be viewed as dissipation of ethics by another....And their opinions are as equally weighted as that of your own....

True, we face corruption in our government and bigotry of those caustically overzealous with their faith....
....But to borrow an analogy often used by preachers - They represent mountains that must be moved by our own faith - We can try to climb them, but we fall every time b/c of our lack of courage to address the issue....

I agree that we should advance our efforts in science, but that does not mean that those who have their rights to express their opinion should be shunned b/c it debases our morale and puts a hault on our momentum.....A firm resolve with a gracious and generous smile gets you further than a fist.....

[edit on 5/23/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

top topics

join