It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kuwaiti women win right to vote.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Kuwait's parliament has passed a law granting women the right to vote and run in elections for the first time in the pro-Western Arab state.

Kuwaiti women burst into cheers when parliament speaker Jassim al-Khorafi said the legislation had been passed by a majority of the all-male parliament, granting full suffrage to women.
"We made it. This is history," said prominent activist Roula al-Dashti.

"Our target is the parliamentary polls in 2007. I'm starting my campaign from today."

Source

Great news, and about time.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yeah, this is great news! The democracy is on the march in the Middle East.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yeah, this is great news! The democracy is on the march in the Middle East.

Well at least civil rights are...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
great news for Kuwaiti women. It's about time, btw.

get ready for a more civil and peaceful middle east...well i can only dream

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm sure that George Bush Sr. had that wonderful "democracy" movement in Kuwait in mind when he "liberated" it from Saddam in '91.

Jeez... every one applauding this first step by a long-time U.S. ally, who didn't even have the excuse of a repressive dictatorship like Saddam's to explain why women didn't have the right to vote... Since the U.S. is so intent on spreading democracy and civil liberties in the Middle East, why didn't it start with Kuweit?

I'm happy for the women, trust me. They're finally getting - partially, at least - what should've been theirs long ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hooray Beer! Now they can vote for the official their husbands and fathers tell them to vote for. Do I sound jaded? Sorry. I am when discussing Democracy and Middle East.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That is great news to hear sommething happening on the bright side hats off for Kuwait.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Kuwait,man that is one rich country.....

Apperently if you have a child,the government pays you $10000 US and gives you a merc.Whats the GNP,like $20,000?Nearly that of France.

top topics

join