It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about ageing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm wondering about the ageing process as i get older , I'm 52 now , i have all the sighns of ageing , ie Grey hair etc but my mind has not aged , its still the same as it was 30 years ago. How can that be ? Is the mind not subject to the laws of ageing anyone know?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Im not sure man, but I googled up this link:

Brain starts to age around 40

Bruce Yankner, a professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School, is
investigating how human brains change between ages 26 and 106. If you are more than 40 years old, the news may not be good.

Hope that helps

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thanks for that but having the mind of an 20 year old in a 52 year old body sucks, you still lust after the females but they look at you and think Grandad. I think the mind must be separate to the ageing process , perhaps its an indication of when we die the mind doesn't, and goes elsewhere.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
Thanks for that but having the mind of an 20 year old in a 52 year old body sucks, you still lust after the females but they look at you and think Grandad. I think the mind must be separate to the ageing process , perhaps its an indication of when we die the mind doesn't, and goes elsewhere.

Hey there, I am a senior myself, but my mind is 25, and it will not get any older...
IMO, growing old gracefully is harder than it seems..and yes the mind and memories do survive the body..
I REFUSE to join the AARP but I do take any senior discounts I can....LOL

PS, Men are not the only lusters....

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Aging is in the mind to a large degree. For the record there are some sexy 50-plus both males and females.

Think young, dress and act young.. STOP looking in the mirror. What you see is not always what others see.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies but what I'm asking is why the mind defies getting old, same as the body, to me it doesn't make sense.The brain ought to suffer as much as the rest of the body , but to me thats not happened I'm still the person i was 30 years ago but living in an older body. If i get to 80 years old and my mind still feels like this , what does that say about life?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies but what I'm asking is why the mind defies getting old, same as the body, to me it doesn't make sense.The brain ought to suffer as much as the rest of the body , but to me thats not happened I'm still the person i was 30 years ago but living in an older body. If i get to 80 years old and my mind still feels like this , what does that say about life?

That life is transitory and we are in these vessels because we 'needed' to live again..I look at it is the best I can in that we can age or we can have the alternative,
Have you not ever looked into the eyes of an 85 y/o person and and the eyes are those of a teenager or a toddler?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I remember my Dad said to me once - I looked in the mirror and this old man looked back at me, I didn't know who he was. He was depressed for days.

Our mind does age, but often at a different rate to that of our physical casing. At least this is my view. I think this has a lot to do with how we use our mind and how we treat our body. We can have a very active ‘mental’ existence and abuse our bodies. Our bodies are also subject to the harness of the environment and that takes a toll.

Can you honestly say you are as quick on the uptake as you where when you were say 20 or 30? Is your memory as good as when you were 20 – 30? I wouldn’t mind betting your mind has slowed but because you can’t see it, it isn’t as obvious.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Actually at 52 you are not that old yet, now women will still look at older man and see them interesting and even good looking, but only if the women are over thirty.

If you are looking at younger women in the mid to late twenties then they are not many that will be that interested.

Unless they are looking for somebody to take care of them and their "kids"

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sorry for my misspelling of aging, i try to type without my glasses so anything can happen. Getting back to aging of the mind , i don't think it is slower , i think its sharper now than at anytime.I'm not looking for a young female just stating that the feelings i have have not changed over the years.
What I'm trying to say is that i feel the mind and the body are separate entities, if this is so i can understand that the mind lives on after death as it is not governed by the laws of aging. I as a person think that my mind will never age like my body, i think on my deathbed i will be thinking as a young person. Thinks theres lots for the scientists to discover yet.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Maybe our brains do not age in a linear fashion like our bodies. We loose brain cells all the time, but we dont notice, unless we have Alzhiemers. Of course if we had Alzhiemers, we wouldnt notice for long.........

The brain has been shown to compensate for itself, such as new neural pathways in place of old ones. Perhaps the dead cells are replaced by ones not doing anything.

This is why I fear Alzhiemers more than death. Its like being dead before actually dying.

top topics

join