It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the biggest mistake you've ever made?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ok, some of us are old, some are young. All of us have made mistakes in our lives. Some were small but did huge damage. Others were huge at the time, but had no long term effect. But if you had to pick one, what would it be? Can you point your finger directly at one thing in your life that you would consider your worst mistake?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The one thing I have the most internal conflicts over was the decision I made on March 19, 2004 to walk my bike home 1 1/2 miles in the rain rather than take my fiance's advice and wait at a store 200 yards ahead of where we were while she rode on to get her friend to drive back there and pick me up.
I don't think I was supposed to do that though, so I am conflicted about it.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That, and starting the post at 3 in the morning might have something to do with it...

Mine? hmmm.....

Probably that time, 11 years ago, when an old girlfriend I dated told me, "Naa..we dont need to use anything tonight...It safe"...Then 9 months later......

Or was it opting to drop out my senior year, 3 credits shy...I dont know..Im torn..but its definitly one of those two...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
good thread......ummm?...this is tough.....

for me its probably been working so hard on my business's that ive missed out on a few things ie,

not realising that the love of my life was tired of watching me flog myself to death and subsequentley dumping me for it.

my friends missing me at partys and stuff because work was too important and me working through the night to keep everyone of my customers happy.....when the reality was they would have been happy if it was a day late anyway

not taking up the offer earlier in my life to manage a big company for a guy in america...i turned it down because i wanted to build it all my self.....i would probably be very,very,very wealthy now if i had.

but the truth is i made desicions and things are ok now......

no real regrets other than the girl.

regards.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I really cannot think of one BIG mistake, a lot of them are caused by external things that caused a deep depression, things I could not control. some things were small mistakes taht componded an allready bad situation. Sometimes i can just point at myself and say I am the biggest mistake I have ever made.

If i could not do one thing it would be going out with a girl on new years eve in chicago of 2002, the two month relationship afterwards, and the fallout because I wouldn't put out for her hurt me emotionally to the point I was put into jail, and lost nearly everything I had.

To this day I still have fears of starting another relationship, and I am too afraid to say anyhting for the chance i would lose them.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
excellent thread..

mistakes? i have plenty, so many scars that have been made. First one has to be giving my heart to two girls who both broke my heart. The first one was engaged to some guy, she told me she was going to break up with him until one night i found out she engaged and had no plans to leave.

Second one was a girl, who i thought, was the "one". She smashed my hearts to bits, she cheated on me twice and left me in deep, deep depression.

Other mistakes, would be one night where i didnt have the guts to end my life....sometimes, i wished i did.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the honesty here. I know this can be a hard topic. Takes a little soul searching. Aint it amazing how many screw ups you can pack into 10 years? Aint it also amazing how it only takes a few seconds to screw up and years to fix it? And yet, we still do it...hmmm...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
being a sucker when I was young and not taking the correct actions, thus resulting in my heart being ate in front of me.

s'ok though

I got over it.

actually probably listening to some of the advice some of my friends gave me was probably a huge mistake, always should just go with gut instinct, but it's not always that easy, I guess I wanted someone to confirm I was doing the "right" thing.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
but now that I think about maybe it wasn't a mistake, first part ya know, it's just part of growing up really.

however the friend advice crap is right, I mean I got friend that give good advice, and then I have friend who speak out their ass.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I've never made a mistake...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Man, I didn't even have to think on this one. My first marraige. What a train wreck. Fortunately I've been free of the Wicked Witch of the East for 20 years.

Divorce papers =

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I find it interesting that most of the mistakes listed (including mine) have somthing to do with a relationship. Evil women...lol

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No thought required, I knew this the moment I saw the thread title.

My marriage was the biggest mistake I ever made. It ended with restraining orders, my very own stalker, and several hours of threatening voice mails held by family members, just in case something were to happen to me. It's not just the women that are evil, even though there is a math formula proving that we are....

But, I did learn some excellent life lessons at a very young age, and it has made me a stronger person. So while it is without doubt the stupidest thing I have ever done, I am probably a better person for having gone through it.

And yes, divorce papers do =

I love that dancing banana.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I probably made that mistake this morning when I ate a huge bowl of serial, drank two red bulls, and then got alot of water at the water fountaine befor taking the S.A.T.s. They onlyl gave us 2 bathroom breaks and I didnt have to go the first time! Now I have no idea whether or not I passedt he S.A.T.s or didnt! Im scared

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
since i am a pessimist with low self-esteem i often get to remember my mistakes over and over and over again to the point i start thinking about suicide to end the pain. But that isn't an option anymore, not going to be that selfish

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yes... a few years back following divorce and after a long night of drinking, I woke up, took some asprin, put on some coffee and went to brush my teeth. Because of the hang over I left the light off in the bathroom and grabbed the toothpaste and toothbrush... But quickly I became ill after, then turned on the light... The tube I thought was toothpaste was actually a tube of Preparation H.

It was a huge mistake.. I have learned from it and can assure you I NEVER brush my teeth in the dark now.

Gazz

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
My one big mistake has been the same little mistake repeated MANY times.

I think that's called ADDICTION.

I do great when I first get hired. In fact, they are always blown away for the first six months or so...best administrative assistant ever n stuff. But then I get bored...and I start chatting or posting to msg. boards from work...and everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

I've quit every job I've ever had, and they were usually glad to see me go LoL.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I had a 'teacher' a couple years back, in night school, who used to 'watch' me. Now I think I should have pursued this. Or at least been a bit more open. I was in an extremely bad mood at the time. I'd always catch him watching me. I wonder............
He was prolly a really great guy, and definitely he is very smart.

I don't know. For all I know the man was gay. So. I try not to dwell on things. They do creep in though. I also have this idea where I'd like to see others make an effort towards me, for once. If people are interested, they can phone me.

Ah well, lots of things to keep me occupied. Like my professional life is in the toilet. I need to focus on fixing this; Keeps my mind off my crappy/mostly non existent personal life.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Well I chalk my mistake up to being young and dumb. I can also honestly say that I've learned a lot.

I made my frist mistake when I was in high school. I wanted to be popular rather than smart. I choose to party, when I should have been studing. I fould that a few of the cool kids that I wanted to be like were on the honor roll as well.

My next mistake was wanting to do everything now. I learned patience. I wanted a nice place and nice car right out of high school. Mistake. Now I'm back in college and hopefully when I get out, I can do the things I wanted it.

My last big mistake was choosing my boyfriend over school. Along with partying, I choose not go away to school so I could stay for the beau. I'm too young for that stuff. Education and self-improvement comes frist.

This is a nice thread, by the way. It good to look back at your past mistakes and see how they've made you a better person.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Hey...thanks to all for participating in this. It takes alot to admit failure. But alot can be learned from others mistakes. This isnt a post to pass judgement, but rather to lift a weight off of your chest. It seems to be going well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join