It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A suggestion for copying links into posts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is actually just a pet peeve, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

When people post really long links to URL's, they can't wrap around like regular text does. When these long links are posted, it causes the right margin of the page to extend out as far as the link, sometimes half a page again as wide as the resolution.

When you post a link to a URL, take advantage of the little JavaScript App indicated by the button with the world in it above the text window. There it offers the option to add text to describe what the link leads to, rather than posting the URL itself.

This would do nothing more than make the threads easier to read, and more user-friendly, not to mention make me very happy. I hope others would agree. Just for the sake of clarity, I will offer this example:

www.nytimes.com...

There, now... doesn't that just piss you off?

[edit on 7-5-2005 by DeltaChaos]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
No it doesn't piss me off.

Lately I have noticed that many people ignore links anyway, so you might as well post a link with a quote to get your point across.

I do understand your frustation. I don't like it when people post tons of links that are just red heres.

That bothers me more than long links, as you only have to click on it, not read the url.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Eeeeek, DeltaChaos, the chaos you create in my brain with that blasted long link.

Looong links just happen to be one of my pet peves. And, now I can do something about them.
Soooo, any reason I should leave this link as is? My fingers are just itching to ed your link, it's so hard to read your post.
btw, here's another handy link snipper:
snipurl.com...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It dosnt bother me,,,,, as long as the link works LOL

But it is something to think about

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If a link does its job, if I could easily single click on it and it takes me to the desired news source, then why would it piss me off regardless of how long it is?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Remember that when you click that button, the rest of your post goes bye-bye. Just learn the BBcode.

zOMG BUNNY

Replace curlies [] with squares [], and you're cool. Not only does it make links smaller, but it's helpful. Tells people what you're linking to, what they're reading. I always do it.

Originally posted by Simulacra
If a link does its job, if I could easily single click on it and it takes me to the desired news source, then why would it piss me off regardless of how long it is?

Because then it forces the rest of the text to extend way out to the edge of the page which is WAY too long. I don't like scrolling right, then left, then right, like a typewriter.

Anyway, surprisingly, this computer wraps the link. My computer at home, and apparently a lot of yours, don't, but this is at Columbia University, so, yeah.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I guess my computer is automatically wrapping the link you put in so it doesn't look any different to me. What annoys the heck out of me is if I type up a message and then put the link in and all that I typed is gone in the wind somewhere. I'm pretty sure that is what Amory is teaching me to avoid. Now to remember it when I have to put a link in.

top topics

join