It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meaning of life to you is....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I asked someone this on another thread. They didn't want to answer on that thread. I started this to get their answer and others answers.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
eat, drink and be merry!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
i dont know, i hope to find out by the time I die

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Wikipedia.org-
"What is the meaning of life?" is probably the most-asked philosophical question by humanity at large. Common answers include: happiness or flourishing; love; compassion; pleasure; reproduction; power; knowledge, understanding, or wisdom; and being blessed, or achieving union with God or the divine; or simply that there is no meaning to life. Philosophers, religious authorities, artists, scientists, and countless ordinary people have thought deeply about the question. In fact, the very concept has become such a cliché that it has often been parodied.

Read the rest (it's pretty long) at: en.wikipedia.org...

I find this pretty interesting read. It gets you thinking about all of the things in your life.

It also makes you reflect on the things you've done.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i'd have to say it would be to enjoy and live it to the fullest... experience everything you can while you can coz you may not get a second shot...

of course whilst doing this dont let your action engatively affect others

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
To serve God on earth doing my part in the Genesis command
To serve Jesus Christ doing my part in the Great commision

My purpose is not of this world. My purpose is to do what the creator of me, created me for.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think the meaning of life is when my little nephew holds my face in his little hands and tells me he loves me. Kids always remind me of what is really important in life.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ah, the meaning of life. I don't know if there's just one definition. But here's a few things I try to remember...

Be kind to others; hate is a four letter word that never accomplishes anything good.

Remember that you have more similarities to your enemy than you have differences.

Eat well, be sincere when you say "thank you" , and try to have at least one belly laugh every day.

Make amends, then let go of the guilt. Harbouring it won't help anyone or anything.

Feed your passions, but not your neuroses.

Stop to smell the flowers, but don't lose track of where you're going.

And remember.

Everyone is not out to get you.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Being as I've only graced this earth for nearly 18 years I can't give a proper answer, ask me again in 10 years time when I've lived a little

[edit on 19-6-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well, SOMEONE had to say it.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
'touche' , babloyi

I don't think life has any intrinsic meaning,
so it leaves you free to attach whatever meaning you want to it,
To some degree that is what defines a person's life.

I like to try to be usefully productive [in all the chaos], but mostly enjoy life cause it is the only one you get. It's very short, you have to really make sure you have some fun along the way. If one gets to the end of it and has suffered their whole life long *sigh* that's not my problem.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's not just about yourself. When you have performed a completely selfless act, one that benefits many people and not just one person then will you understand the true meaning of life.

To perform a truly selfless act, one's motives must be free of personal benefit. Or some people may say: A selfless ACT is acting to benefit others at the cost of your own wants and needs.

In our present environmental state we may not need to worry about the meaning of life to much longer anyhow. Unless someone does something about it.

Remember Rachel Corrie

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sometimes we confuse meaning and purpose.

We can find plenty of meaning in life, in all the events that occur around us and sometimes "to us". That is distinct from living a purposeful life.

A person very close to me has promised to help me with purpose - finding the true one and living it. Patience is a virtue, and it is a good thing to know that many things before have been connected with that purpose.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
I asked someone this on another thread. They didn't want to answer on that thread. I started this to get their answer and others answers.

A blonde, a bottle of bourbon, and a Ferrari.

Honestly, some people need telling everything.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
the meaning of life to me at the moment is despair

but the real answer is simply just to exist

[edit on 20-7-2005 by klain]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
To serve God on earth doing my part in the Genesis command
To serve Jesus Christ doing my part in the Great commision

My purpose is not of this world. My purpose is to do what the creator of me, created me for.

So you are a slave to a fictional being ?

Did he get you through school? or did you do that yourself? did he get you a job or did you do that yourself? did he drop a woman out of the skies for you to marry?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think that humans should stop trying to figure out what the meaning of life is... Suppose life has no "meaning"? As a Catholic, I believe that we are here to be eventually reunited with God, but other than that, I don't really like to get into the philosophy of "Why are we here?" and "What purpose do I have?"... I just try to live as a decent person and do what makes me happy, rather than spending too much of my life wondering what the meaning of this all is...

new topics

top topics

join