It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school battle over evolution (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Religious conservatives in the us are pushing for guidelines
That will effectively play down scientific theories because it's to bias to Religion.
and to change guidelines that would play down Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Kansas state school board has begun four days of hearings into how children in state schools are taught about the origins of life.
Religious conservatives are pressing for a change to state guidelines that would play down Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

They argue that the teaching of evolution shows a bias against religion.

Science organisations have boycotted the hearings in protest.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that schools should have the right to teach anything that is facts and not be stopped by religious groups because they think that it’s biased against religion,

Since when has science ever been on the side of religion?

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 6-5-2005 by bodrul]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
you know there is an easy way to at least make such a need for protest smaller. teach both equily. let the kids decide for themselves which is right.

the very fact that there are rules stateing that one is not alowed is bias by it's very nature. BOTH theories are unproven, so how come one can be taught but not the other? both take faith to believe as they are unproven. just goes to show that religion isn't the only one to use prdudace, sciance does as well.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Creationism and darwinism do not stand as equals.

Evolution is the only theory with a huge amount of data to back it up. There is no other "origin of life" theory that has stood up to rigorous testing, not to mention the ridiculous charges leveled by creationists.

If you want to teach creation, keep it in a humanities or literature class. There is as much evidence for the mythic greek creation story as there is for biblical creation.

It does not belong in science class, which is only for things that are scientific. i.e. not creation "science"

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You think that evolution belongs in "science" class?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yes. Evolution proposes theses that can be objectively tested in the real world, AKA science.

Do you think that the bible belongs in science class?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think that neither of these belong in "science" classes. Evolution is still a theory. The Bible, whatever.

Putting faith in a theory is as dangerous as putting faith in the Bible.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind evolution being taught as a theory in science class and no other competing theory taught. But, I'm kind of partial to intelligent design being taught. More research needs to be put towards evolution and intelligent design, because, underneath it all, I think the two theories are compatible.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So will this be the future of science classes?

"Some believe that black holes do not have a well-delineated event horizon that hides everything in them from the outside Universe, and some believe the great God Ooga Booga..."

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well, you can have that, or you can have lies that make you feel better about your place in the Universe. Lies are still lies.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
You know, you're right intrepid. All "theories" no matter how much evidence supports it are "lies".

Let's stop teaching gravity without alternative explantions. How can we be 100% positive that gravity isn't actually just jesus thinking really hard.

Gravity is only a theory, that must mean it is garbage.

Theory: [n] a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena; "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
yupo gotta admit that evolution is a security blanket for those who do not believe in god. must feel good to piece togethe fragments to make a whole (don't mind all the big gaps it will hold watter honest).r

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
intrepid:

Your whole way of life is based on theory!!!!! The world is round was a theory. Im not saying evolution theory is the right one, but it is based on all other theory that you wouldnt question. Look, evolution isnt like the bible. No one would tell you that without faith in evolution you will go to hell!! In fact many people are know showing the Darwins work is a poor way to see evolution. NO evolutionist who hold Darwins as dogma in science but a theory. No kids are asked to understand evolution as a belief but as a lesson to give them the tools to see that world in their own eyes. They can do what they with the theory but the means to understanding are the real goals of teaching evolution.

Side note, if you what your kids to learn the bible, great, do it at home or send them to private school. Public school is for people of different faiths or non faiths not one. There are no equals in belief, just the one you have. Let kids have their own too, please.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sorry LeftBehind, apt name, you have been left behind. Gravity is not a theory, it's been proven, unlike evolution.

Do you want to debate Pokemon?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Right, intrepid.

Just because evolution invalidates your faith in a literal interpretation of the bible doesn't cancel out the fact that

-"micro" evolution has been observed.

-"macro" evolution, or speciation, has been observed.

But then again if you believe that the laws of physics change at the whim of god, then nothing can ever be proven to you.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
First off, I'm not a religious person. So, go there if you want, you won't find the resistance you expect.

Secondly, I would like to hear more on what you consider Macro and Micro.......

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Evolution has been observed. But the processes of this evolution has not. This is where Intelligent Design comes into play IMO.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Appreciate it Jam, I'm waiting for a reply from someone that was leftbehind.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ok, one gravity is theory. Gravity isnt answering all the questions yet. Second everything is a question. If its not then your not learning just repeating old ideas. I guess I would say we will never really understand much. The big questions will aways be there. If you stop a gravity then dont get pissed when others stop at evolution. Its all just a stream of ideas. If you like simple answers that make you feel good fine. If you look outside your head you might see that life greatest gift is the lack of answers. Its called freedom. Anything is possible, even gravity.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thank you so much intrepid for the taunting and insults.

It speaks well of your character.

Here, this has been covered countless times on ATS, but here is a more recent thread on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As much as I'd like debate with you over a non-issue like "evolution is a lie",
I realize the futility, especially with someone so adept with name puns, as you have shown yourself to be.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

by Left behind,

Thank you so much intrepid for the taunting and insults.

It speaks well of your character.

Here, this has been covered countless times on ATS, but here is a more recent thread on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As much as I'd like debate with you over a non-issue like "evolution is a lie",
I realize the futility, especially with someone so adept with name puns, as you have shown yourself to be

I haven't insulted you. I've disapproved your stance. Proved it.

What's wrong with that?

If I disagree with you I'm a monster?

Bad play. Not a good debate ploy.

Want to try another? Yeah, next you're going to say I can't do this because I'm a staff member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join