It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying Ignorance?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I have a question about the latest ATS motto, why 'Deny Ignorance'? Hmm?

Is denial just a symptom of ignorance? By denying our ignorance, are we not just leading ourselves deeper into the mires of ignorance. Truly, denial has long been a factor of ignorance, from the Romans who denied the signs of their empires decline to the Catholics who denied Galileo's findings on astrology to the bigots who denied that women and other ethnicities were their equals, denying a truth has long been the strategy of those who are ignorant to it.

We might as well use the slogan 'Reject Ignorance' or 'Ignore Ignorance' as they mean the same thing, honestly how are we supposed to 'deny' ignorance? Are we to believe that ignorance does not exist?

Wouldn't a better slogan be 'Defeat Ignorance,' 'Bring Truth,' 'Educate the Ignorant?' I am sure that there are many better slogans than these, but I am typing this with a time constraint and have very little time left.

Until next time,
XAOS

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Defeat Ignorance

Has a nice ring to it.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
xaos

The motto is ambiguous, yes.

It can be just the way you explained it, but you and I both know it isn't meant to be read that way.

If you polled people to find out how they read it, I think the vast majority would say they read it as "When ignorance is in your face, deny it and indicate the truth". Thst is, deny ignorant statements.

Sometimes however that gets a bit tiring.

So, I have used the motto (just once) as follows...

Moderator X: "blah, blah, blah... that has been dismissed 100s of times and it's old news about the 2000 election... blahdy blah blah...."

MaskedAvatar: "Denied. 'Nuff said."

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
xaos and Advisor

I agree with the alternative.

How do you carry off a campaign to get rid of the "ny" and put in place a "feat"?

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You start a topic about it. Or contact william.

Nightwalker

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
How about changing this Topic to 'Defeat Ignorance, Don't Just Deny It'.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That would work.

Nightwalker

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
how's about "down with ignorance"?

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Destroy Ignorance!

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well there's

Rebuke Ingorance

Defy Ignorance

Whip Ignorance

Ignore Ignorance

Eliminate Ignorance

Terminate Ignorance

Constrain Ignorance

Slap Ignorance

Punch Ignorance

Put a Whoop-Knot on Ignorance

Shun Ignorance

What Ignorance?

Say NO to Ignorance

My Aunt's name is Ignorance

...I'm tired, I'm goin to bed

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Good suggestions all, Valhall

How about:

"Adopt an ignoramus"

It would run similarly to zoo programs where the zoo actually earns sponsorship money through having certain of their exhibits sponsored.

At ATS it would meet these objectives:

1. Raises educational standards from the dumbed-down levels that exist, by pairing an ignoramus with an approved person with a brain

2. Helps people make better friends with people that they have called ignoramuses

3. Raises finance for ATS improvements, and such like.

BTW, I have never called anyone an ignoramus, moron or any other such derogatory term here - and I don't plan to. I have asked the ignoramus question once or twice to give an ATS member a chance to question their own thinking or post. It seems to work OK, but I would not resort to labelling someone's intellectual capabilities again; it was just a phase I was going through.

Most of my anger is directed towards the lying, useless abomination of a Court-appointed 'president' along with the corrupt, heinous Bush administration.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Most of my anger is directed towards the lying, useless abomination of a Court-appointed 'president' along with the corrupt, heinous Bush administration.

No kiddin? I hadn't noticed...hmmm. Makes me see you in a whole different light.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You see, Masked Avatar, you still are living with the belief that Bush was "court appointed" and in continuing to say that, lead me to believe that Gore and the DNC were the poor, hapless victims.

It is obvious that it is too late for you to Deny Ignorance the opportunity to take root!

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   

How about changing this Topic to 'Defeat Ignorance, Don't Just Deny It'.

Why defeat it? Isn't ignorance just a part of us all? Part of human nature?

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Not sure what your point is, but let's look at it this way:

My @$$ is part of me too, but I'm not going to approach the world with that being the first thing they notice about me....for that matter, I don't even want to leave the world with it being the last thing they notice about me.

If a person is not working to overcome their own individual ignorances, they need to basically find a new planet so that the rest of us can have their air.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Smart thinking xaos.
If we want to fight ignorance, we must first acknowledge that we are ignorant, stupid and small.

Humans! The most annoying mammals!

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by Megaquad]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The slogan, is intended to be both simple, and complex.

Ignorance can be seen as a willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his or her duty to have. Many people caught up in the dot-com hype have called this the "Information Age". While I generally disagree with that label, it's not an untrue characterization of this period ("Digital Revolution" is more accurate). If one has a computer and Internet access, there is then no excuse for ignorance.

We see ignorance as a foe. An evil villain who would like for us to sit quiet and ignore unsettling world events. Ignorance, in this era, has evolved from a simple lack of knowledge to an effort of neglect. As society moves through these troubling times, the villainous ignorance is the enemy of us all.

And thus, we come to our very simple slogan on which to hang our hats:

Deny ignorance.

Refuse the villain's attempts to muddle our minds.

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by William]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by William

Deny ignorance.

William

Well, I'm trying, but sometimes TC comes by with more muddling. Will try harder.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think he was refering to the demon of ignorance. Or me. Probably me.

Anyway, I see that this thread has been stuck to the top of chit-chat, wow. I didnt think that it would be that important, I just wanted to openly ask what was with this slogan that has appeared in my absence.

XAOS

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

Deny ignorance.

William

Well, I'm trying, but sometimes TC comes by with more muddling. Will try harder.

One word for ya, buddy:

I try to demuddle water. You ought to see it when I really try to muddle water!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join