It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Global Arms - Trafficking Network Designated by US (Update: Viktor Bout Extradited)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Washington Has Not Yet Filed The Request

Washington apparently has 60 days to file an extradition request...

Moscow News: Moscow Watching Thai Arms Case

10/04/2008

Thai authorities said on Wednesday that they would not bring charges against Bout, but would keep him in custody pending a decision on a U.S. extradition request.

Washington has not yet filed the request and has 60 days to do so.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"Washington has not yet filed the request"... Why not? And again, why is only Russian media reporting this?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Viktor Bout's Appeal

Here's Viktor Bout's appeal to the Russian government.

RussiaToday: Russia promises ‘Merchant of Death’ help

April 10, 2008

“I, Viktor Bout, appeal to the government of the Russian Federation as a citizen. I'm asking you to take measures to free me, because I have been jailed and held under guard under fabricated accusations. I didn’t commit any crimes in Thailand, where I spent only three hours and then was arrested. I have never been to the United States, I don't have any connection with them, and I have never been connected to any terrorist groups. I'm asking the government of the Russian Federation to take measures, and ask the government of Thailand, what grounds I am being held on and why I am being unlawfully held in this country on fabricated American accusations".

"I hope that my request has been heard and thank all my compatriots, who are giving me support and help”.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
To me it looks like Washington might let Russia free him. Put him back in business. And then hire him again...

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thailand Foreign Minister said today that Viktor Bout is being treated well in prison, and there are "no plans yet to extradite him to the United States".

Christian Today: Thailand says 'Merchant of Death' treated well

April 12, 2008

Suspected Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout is being treated well in a Thai prison and there are no plans yet to extradite him to the United States, Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama said on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Viktor Bout's wife Alla says her husband is "innocent". They watched "Lord of War" together and laughed a lot during the movie because it's "not true". She says she saw no weapons, they are broke and he's a poet, etc.

Timees Online: Viktor Bout’s a poet, not the lord of war

April 13, 2008

“What a load of rubbish. The only resemblance is that both Cage in the film and Viktor in real life speak several languages. The rest is just fantasy. Viktor is no international arms baron.”

Maybe he wanted to teach FARC some languages?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Merchant Of Death Back In Business Soon

Apparently there's no need for Russia to free Viktor Bout, as it seems like he'll be released anyway. I've heard rumours that Thailand has decided not to send him to the US, and they've dropped the charges against him. However, I have not got this confirmed yet. If this is true, then he'll be released. Victory for Viktor...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Thailand has started hearings on whether Viktor Bout is to be extradited to the US or not...

Thailand Arms Dealer Cameroon Involvement

19-04-2008 (Itar-Tass)

Thailand is starting hearings in the case of extradition to the United States of Russian citizen Viktor Bout who is suspected of arms smuggling, Lieut-Gen Phongphan Chayaphan, chief of the Thai police Crime Suppression Division, stated on Wednesday.

The US and the UN are among his customers.

Bout has essentially done business with anyone irrespective of ideology, often contracted on both sides of a war. As well as some of the more controversial customers such as the Taliban or Charles G. Taylor, the UN and the US have also paid for his services.

Former British Foreign Office minister, Peter Hain giving Viktor his nickname "Merchant of Death" in 2003:

Hain said: Bout is the leading merchant of death who is the principal conduit for planes and supply routes that take arms, including heavy military equipment, from east Europe, principally Bulgaria, Moldova, and Ukraine, to Liberia and Angola. The UN has exposed Bout as the centre of a spider’s web of shady arms dealers, diamond brokers, and other operatives, sustaining the wars.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Mobsters Without Borders

"Mobsters without borders" are global threat and provide support for terrorists.

"Mobsters without borders" are global threat: U.S.

Apr 24 2008

Crime groups operating as "mobsters without borders" have gained significant footholds in global markets and provide logistic support to terrorists, the United States said on Wednesday.

[---]

"These international criminals pose real national security threats to this country," Mukasey said in a speech to the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank. He cited recent cases, many with links to the former Soviet bloc.

[---]

Suspected arms traffickers such as Viktor Bout, a Russian national arrested in Thailand in March, provide support to terrorists, officials said.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Viktor Offered Weapons To Kill Americans

Viktor Bout has been charged by the U.S. government with conspiring to sell weapons to be used to kill Americans.

CNN: Indictment: Arms dealer offered weapons to kill Americans

updated 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. government has charged an international arms dealer with conspiring to sell a rebel group millions of dollars in weapons "to be used to kill Americans in Colombia," federal prosecutors announced Tuesday.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
And look, it's even on Fox News.

FOXNews.com - Indictment: Reputed Russian Arms Smuggler Conspired to Kill

The indictment charges Viktor Bout with four terrorism offenses, including conspiring to kill Americans, conspiring to kill U.S. officers or employees, conspiring to provide material support to terrorists and conspiring to acquire and use an anti-aircraft missile.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
"The most extraordinary serious conspiracy charges possible"

And now, it's in Russian media too.

RIA Novosti: U.S. authorities bring charges against Russian 'arms dealer'

07/ 05/ 2008

"Viktor Bout no doubt faces some of the most extraordinarily serious conspiracy charges possible for his crimes against Americans," Michele Leonhart, acting administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), said in a statement late on Tuesday.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm sure at least someone here is interested in this. So here's some more.

Here's the indictment document and links to TYR and CTB.

TYR: Viktor Indicted

May 07, 2008

You can get the document here, at the CTB. The document specifically mentions two cargo planes he apparently produced a brochure (!) on, explaining how they could be used for accurate airdrops into the Colombian backwoods. I'd really love to know which aircraft they were, but there is nothing in the document that helps, and practically all types in the network are capable of airdropping to some degree or other. (An12, An24/26, Il-76...even the An124, if they can get hold of one, can do it, although it would be a tad dramatic.)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The extradition documents from the U.S. are apparently to arrive in Thailand in the next few days.

Kommersant: U.S. Accusations against Russian Arms Trader

May 08, 2008

The United States has announced its official accusations against Viktor Bout, the Russian citizen arrested in Thailand at the request of the U.S. He is incriminated in providing surface-to-air ballistic missiles to the Colombian terrorist organization FARC, conspiring to kill American citizens, including officers, and providing material aid to terrorist organizations. U.S. extradition documents are to arrive in Thailand in the next few days.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Wow, the hypocrisy of this story is absolutely staggering.

The US accusing people of arms smuggling ay?
That's pretty funny. Kind of like George Bush calling Osama Bin Laden ugly.

Let's travel back to the 1980's. Remember Afghanistan? Where was the Taliban getting Stingers to shoot down Soviet helicopters from?

Or the Contras in Nicaragua, where did they get their weapons from to execute thousands of civilians? They were being armed to the teeth by the CIA who was garnering revenue for that operation from weapons they sold to Iran and Iraq.

Or better yet Israel, who is the largest receiver of US Foreign Assistance and Military hardware whom last year got $2.16 billion dollars in "aid". Who makes their M-16's, their F-16's, their Apaches, their D9 Military dozers they use to demolish Palestinian homes?

No nation on the planet exports more weapons than the US, not even Russia. To accuse others of weapons smuggling is pure hypocrisy, when America smuggles billions a year itself.
Who are they to persecute Viktor Bout? They can hardly talk when US military hardware finds it's way into scores of countries around the world per year. And not just Allies, the CIA has armed virtually ever right-wing, anti-Communist nutjobs on the planet. And now it's coming back to bite them in the ass after all the years.

Viktor Bout is absolutely insignificant compared the size and scope of US Arms proliferation throughout history.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Thanks for your post. Really appreciated. Btw, the US and the UN were among Viktor Bout's customers. But I guess you knew that already.

Denmark

The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Michael J. Garcia, thanked the Danish National Police Security Services among others, for their cooperation.

U.S. Announces Indictment of International Arms Dealer Victor Bout for Conspiracy

Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008

Mr. GARCIA praised the investigative work of the DEA and thanked the Royal Thai Police, Office of the Attorney General for Thailand, and the Royal Thai government for their assistance. Mr. GARCIA also thanked the Romanian Border Police, the Romanian Prosecutor's Office Attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice, the Korps Politie Curacao of the Netherlands Antilles, and the Danish National Police Security Services, for their cooperation, and thanked the U.S. Department of Justice Office of International Affairs.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thailand has officially received the extradition request.

RIA Novosti: U.S. sends Russian arms dealer extradition request to Thailand

"We have official confirmation that Thailand has received the [Bout's] extradition request," the embassy's press secretary, Alexei Bulkin, said.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
pot-kettle = black , us in ilegal arms trade

the `al-qaeda` leader killed by the usa in somalia recently was about to break this news story wide open - how he has brand new US issued M16`s in the possesion of the warlords and other weapons.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm bumping this thread to say that there's still no news regarding the extradition of Viktor Bout from Thailand....

US Prosecutor Praises International Cooperation

22 May 2008

Garcia would not comment on the efforts to have Bout extradited from Thailand.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Just read up on this.

Do you know what Bout's connection to Denmark may be or why the police force is mentioned?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Apparently, some of the negotiations for the weapons deal were held in Denmark, while the danish secret service were listening...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Here's for you, khunmoon (and anyone else who can read danish).

PET-indsats måske spildt i Bout-sag (from 10.03.2008 - in Danish...).

PET = Danish secret service

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join