It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Nuclear Danger... Less Fear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Does anyone disagree with the statement that we are in more danger of nuclear attack now than during the cold war?

If so, and with all the talk on the news of impending doom by nuclear missiles, dirty bombs, and attacks on reactors, why isn't there the same call for preparedness in the face of this reality?

Has the novelty just worn off? Our kids don't conduct 'duck and cover' drills anymore, in fact, for the exception of New York City, I don't think American schools have any real contingency in place for the survival of a nuclear attack.

Could it be that the threat isn't as real as the media would portray? Is it that no one can reach us? Or are we still cocky enough to believe that no one would try it?

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think people still fear nuclear weapons, just as you say not as much. The sticks have been waved and nations now know were they stand in the pecking order when it comes to nukes.

Plus the fact that a nuclear strike these days would most probably result in armageddon, and I think people have this, perhaps naive, hope that no human on this planet is stupid, or evil enough to bring this about.

I think the reason we aren't made to do duck and cover drills anymore is because some bright spark realised that it wouldn't do much at all in the event of a nuclear attack.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
And I think we have just become complacent. "Nuclear Bomb", "Nuclear Attack" - I think to most people it is just some other trivial word they hear everyday.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think the fear is greater than ever.

The fact is duck and cover drills are not a reallity because we are more realistic. I mean if a bomb is droped a mile from the school the child under the desk will be just as dead as the one still in his/her seat. The fact is that we now know that those kinds of preparations are pointless. The paranoia is quelled to keep the population from becomeing wild with fear. The real work is being done behind the scenes with the failed missle defence and such.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Right. I hear you on the 'duck and cover drills are stupid' points. They always were. As if being under a desk could do any possible good.

Still, there's the issue of why people are, or seem, unafraid. Maybe we are desensitized to the words.

How many people do you think are actually prepared for an attack like this, and the aftermath, assuming they survive.

Do you know anyone personally who has a 72 hour kit? I hope so.

new topics

top topics

join