It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ASTARTE mean anything to anyone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
(Like I said)

The Pope died right after Easter (Eeshtar).

So Ishtar is on everyone's mind.

I mean, they did mention the Mother like a bazillion times over the course of the following few weeks, and the new Pope as well thanked Ashtar in the form of Mary as soon as he was elected.

I guess all these names are Astarte.

And here we have a night of sacrifice before us, for her consort. For tomorrow is the eve of Beltane (fires of Baal), and their worship will be visible. It'll be a busy weekend.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
I'm searching for the origin of this word "Astarte".

Was it a person? A place?

Try these websites

www.pantheon.org...

jblstatue.com...

astarteproject.org...

www.goddess.com.au...

[edit on 29-4-2005 by pignut]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by akilles
(Like I said)

The Pope died right after Easter (Eeshtar).

So Ishtar is on everyone's mind.

I mean, they did mention the Mother like a bazillion times over the course of the following few weeks, and the new Pope as well thanked Ashtar in the form of Mary as soon as he was elected.

I guess all these names are Astarte.

And here we have a night of sacrifice before us, for her consort. For tomorrow is the eve of Beltane (fires of Baal), and their worship will be visible. It'll be a busy weekend.

You have alot to learn. Obviously, youre getting your cultures, pantheons, holidays all mixed up. You really dont known much about paganism, do you?

Beltane has nothing to do with Baal. Beltane does not mean Baals fires. Where the hell did you pick up THAT crap?

Beltane was a Celtic religous holiday. It means "bright fire". It is not celebrated until May 1st. It was mainly celebrated in the British Isles as a spring time planting and fertility festival. The Celts lived in Western Europe, and mainly, have survived in the British Isles.

Baal was a Phoenecian god. The Phoenicians lived in what is now Israel and Lebenon. They sailed the Medditerranian. They had nothing to do with the Celts or British Isles until Roman times. By then, they were mostly brought in as slaves by the Romans, or as traders by ship. The worship of Baal had well died out by this time.

Baal and Beltane have nothing to do with one other. Two completely different cultures, religons, tribes, and regons. Beltane is a very old druidic holiday.

You obviously have Astarte confused with Easter, which was named after Eostora, a TEUTONIC/GERMANIC spring goddess. Astarte is not where Easter gets its name from. Eostora. The teutons had nothing to do with the Phoenicians, even during Roman times. And Easter was last month.

Please get your names, cultures, pantheons, dates, and holidays straight.

And I am yet to see what any of this has to do with the pope.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Heres a good start in denying ignorance.

Beltane

Easter

Baal

Incidentally, I figured it was worth noting, that Baal, per se, isn't a specific god, in the old Phoenician tounge, but a godly title, meaning "Lord", much like the Christian usage. The Wikkipedia aticle was also interesting in that it notes similar usage for Astarte/Ashtoreth, genericly implying " Lady".

So the two semetic gods, as people tend to think fo their names, were little more than titles for Lord and Lady, much as was done by many pre christian faiths, who worshiped a dual male/female divinity as opposed to a strictly male diety.

Although it is interesting to note that Baal was not pluralized, meaning reference to one "Lord" divinity, and one "lady" divinity.

Very fascinating to read. Its amazing what sort of myths can be dispelled by actually reading into myths.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Easter actualy is at Sunday May 01st, for all celebrating it in Julian calendar, so it was not mistake putting it next weekend. Easter was last month for all those celebrating it by Gregorian calendar.

"The recommendations of Pope Gregory's calendar commission were instituted by the papal bull "Inter Gravissimus," signed on 1582 February 24. Ten days were deleted from the calendar, so that 1582 October 4 was followed by 1582 October 15, thereby causing the vernal equinox of 1583 and subsequent years to occur about March 21. And a new table of New Moons and Full Moons was introduced for determining the date of Easter. "

"Orthodox churches became fully autonomous in 1054 A.D., and celebrate their Easter always on the basis of the Julian calendar and the "19 PFM dates" table. The Julian calendar date Thursday October 4, 1582 was followed by the Gregorian calendar date Friday October 15, 1582. The 10 dates October 5 to 14 were removed. "

these I found too:
"Use of the Gregorian calendar in the United States stems from an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom in 1751, which specified use of the Gregorian calendar in England and its colonies."

"The Gregorian calendar today serves as an international standard for civil use. In addition, it regulates the ceremonial cycle of the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches. In fact, its original purpose was ecclesiastical. Although a variety of other calendars are in use today, they are restricted to particular religions or cultures. "

Greek catholics have two main groups, Russian Greek Catholic still celebrating easter by Julian Calendar, but Italian for example are celebrating by Gregorian calendar.

links
www.assa.org.au...
astro.nmsu.edu...
www.newadvent.org...

[edit on 29-4-2005 by MankoW]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the info, Mankow. I was not aware that many people still used the Julian calender to mark the years as well as holidays. The only time Ive ever seen Julian dates used was in the military, when Julian dates were often used in many forms as the standard date measure.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Astarte is also called Ishtar, and I beleive Inanna is an equivalent.

She is the barmaid in the epic of gilgamesh (siduri i beleive), and also the Temple Prostitute who shaves the shaggy wildman-of-the-woods Enkidu and civilizes him thru sex.

As Inanna, she is involved in the dying-resurected god myth cycle from which we get the infamous Annunaki.

Inanna has to travel to the underworld for some reason, to help some friend. For somereason she strips her clothes off as the journey progressives (this might've had more meaning to the myth-tellers than modern man). She arrives in the underworld, and i think something goes wrong and she is betrayed, or has been tricked, etc. The Judges, annunaki (or whatever) condem her. She is hung from a tall poll (not at all dissimilar to crucifixtion in a sense). She withers and dies quickly (not at all dissimilar to dying on the cross in a mere three days). Her divine consort does something, and she is ressurected. She leaves the underworld, 'freeing' the souls trapped in there.

I've never heard of astarte as being an organization.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Astarte is also called Ishtar, and I beleive Inanna is an equivalent.

She is the barmaid in the epic of gilgamesh (siduri i beleive), and also the Temple Prostitute who shaves the shaggy wildman-of-the-woods Enkidu and civilizes him thru sex.

As Inanna, she is involved in the dying-resurected god myth cycle from which we get the infamous Annunaki.

Inanna has to travel to the underworld for some reason, to help some friend. For somereason she strips her clothes off as the journey progressives (this might've had more meaning to the myth-tellers than modern man). She arrives in the underworld, and i think something goes wrong and she is betrayed, or has been tricked, etc. The Judges, annunaki (or whatever) condem her. She is hung from a tall poll (not at all dissimilar to crucifixtion in a sense). She withers and dies quickly (not at all dissimilar to dying on the cross in a mere three days). Her divine consort does something, and she is ressurected. She leaves the underworld, 'freeing' the souls trapped in there.

I've never heard of astarte as being an organization.

Inanna descended into the underworld to slay TIAMAT. The guardian to the underworld (i forgot the name. something like Ereshkigal) took all of Innana's enchanted protections as a trick so that she could be killed upon entering the underworld. After she passed through the nine gates, she was spitted upon a spear, and her death was what freed the souls (kinda like the Jesus christ story). The Elder gods were angered because of this, and sent marduk kurios to retriever her body and ressurect her. She died so that we may be saved. Of course the bible kinda bastardized this story though

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't think its 'fair' to say that the bible just picked it up, surely the story was older and more widespread than the sumerian version of it. I think its one of those very very old and very appealing sorts of myths that get restarted, even independently of one another.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
DC.............I put a couple of Dream dictionary type books over on your side, by the light

You can check meanings for yourself..........see what you think ...........

No matter ~what~ topic you wanna talk about, somebody attempts to make it all about the Pope

......................just sayin

[edit on 29-4-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
WTF????

What did I misunderstand?

I said Beltane is coming up.

I said Easter happened already, around when the Pope died. I already connected it to Mary before everyone started to 'correct' me, and tell me I can't tell things apart, hmmm....

"think its one of those very very old and very appealing sorts of myths that get restarted"

Yeah, right, it is just appealing to have one person impaled for the rest of us. That is so appealing a thought, I just can't stop wishing it was modernized.

I think we all know that the translations of the Bible described the cross, while original texts decribed a STAKE (just like Ishtar).

So is it a freakin' coincidence we celebrate Jesus' rebirth when we are telling the actual story of Ishtar's rebirth, at Easter!

And btw, the Phoenicians celebrated on the same day as the Celts, and they both did it to usher forth the spring.

So what makes you think I misunderstand the modern equivalency? What makes you think all these things are un-related, specifically to a POPE DYING and a NEW ONE being born.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

WTF????

I said Beltane is coming up.

I said Easter happened already, around when the Pope died. I already connected it to Mary before everyone started to 'correct' me, and tell me I can't tell things apart, hmmm....

"think its one of those very very old and very appealing sorts of myths that get restarted"

Yeah, right, it is just appealing to have one person impaled for the rest of us. That is so appealing a thought, I just can't stop wishing it was modernized.

I think we all know that the translations of the Bible described the cross, while original texts decribed a STAKE (just like Ishtar).

So is it a freakin' coincidence we celebrate Jesus' rebirth when we are telling the actual story of Ishtar's rebirth, at Easter!

And btw, the Phoenicians celebrated on the same day as the Celts, and they both did it to usher forth the spring.

So what makes you think I misunderstand the modern equivalency? What makes you think all these things are un-related, specifically to a POPE DYING and a NEW ONE being born.

I kinda meant ishtar, not inanna. but sorry if I rocked the boat, just kinda thought it was worth a metion that astarte meant something to me. Didnt want to get involved in THIS though.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   

WTF????

specifically to a POPE DYING and a NEW ONE being born.

Well geez it seems you misunderstand everything really.......

This thread is about Astarte and not the other woman your mentioning and ranting on about.........see what I mean? your making alot of noise but making no sense.........

....................just sayin

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Yep, I just HAD to chime in one this one. Here's a link for ya:

www.spiralgoddess.com...

As far as whether or not anyone still PRAYS to her...well...I'll have to get back to you one that one.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The Mother of God... They mentioned her atleast two DOZEN times during the Papal proceedings, although Christianity is supposed to be about Jesus, and his relationship to God...

And when they lowered Pope JPII into his grave, they were singing "Hail Holy Queen". That is quite the title. Especially to be chanting it as you lower the 'replacement for Christ' into the ground, don't you think?

The God of Nature, and the Mother of God are one and the same. The God of Nature is the one the 'good Men' who drafted the Constitution worshipped, although they professed to be Christians.

Now, I am sure this all sounds innocent enough.

BUT: Look at Benedict's crest.
He is from Germany, the first country in the world to embrace the doctrines of Protestantism and meaningfully reject Catholicism.

Hmmm, what has changed? Well, the Goddess floating on clouds, with a gold beam shining out of her head has been slightly modified.

No, its a sea shell, you say? Not Ishtar, the Veiled Goddess?

Case rested. They are lying to people, blatantly, by saying it is a sea shell.

Goddess Worship is no longer just for doing in secret, it seems.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hey, thank you all for all your help. I know quite a bit about this Goddess now.

I think my grandmother is her.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

2 u DC........just 'cuz.......

>'.'< >'.'< >'.'<

.......................just sayin

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Alright, there Delta Chaos.

You think Ishtar/Astarte might have something to do with aliens coming to Earth, and breeding, and giving us their knowledge, but when someone explains how the religions they have given us to worship are also inter-connected, you say:
"I know quite a bit about this Goddess now.

I think my grandmother is her. "

Mother Nature, its called, Mother, Teacher, Destroyer.

Now what kind of Grandma do you have exactly?

The veiled goddess required sacrifice in ancient times, again, your recollections of your Gran is starting to tell me something is a little unusual in your family.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I already connected it to Mary before everyone started to 'correct' me, and tell me I can't tell things apart

I don't think anyone can state that they know the answers about any of these things, none of us were around to witness the mythos start spread and morph.

Yeah, right, it is just appealing to have one person impaled for the rest of us

Apparently it is, since the sumerians and egyptians have their god-on-a-stick myths, and since chimpanzees have a sacred dance around a pole. Heck, even the "Jack and the Beanstalk" story is probably a variation of it.

Doubtful. The holiday also coincides with certain astronomical events no? That'd be a 'weird' coincidence.

I think we all know that the translations of the Bible described the cross, while original texts decribed a STAKE

I wasn't aware of that. Seems strange tho, since the romans used crosses to crucify people. Not unreasonable tho.

The Mother of God... They mentioned her atleast two DOZEN times during the Papal proceedings, although Christianity is supposed to be about Jesus, and his relationship to God...

Christianity isn't 'supposed' to be about anything. THe early christians revered mary, apparently. The RCC and Orthodox church hold on to those traditions. True enough, its certainly no coincidence that so many 'paga' beleifs are 'mimiced' in christianity.

He is from Germany, the first country in the world to embrace the doctrines of Protestantism and meaningfully reject Catholicism.

But he is also from bavaria, which remianed catholic.

No, its a sea shell, you say? Not Ishtar, the Veiled Goddess?

A seashell itself could be a symbol of venus/ishtar/etc.

They are lying to people, blatantly, by saying it is a sea shell.

Personally, I don't see why that is supposed to be anything other than a seashell.

What do you think of the animal represented? Its supposed to be a bear. I've been told that its not really clear why its there.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
"early christians revered mary"

I think you are confusing early Marians with Christians.

But hey, its the Marians who were trying to confuse the issue, so I forgive you.

It is definitely not 'just a shell' on the Papal crest, as I illustrated above, by showing his Coat of Arms when he was Priest back in Germany. Obviously the Bear was copied directly as well. If you look at his Crest as Cardinal, you will see there were four elements. Two Goddesses, I mean shells, two bears, and the beheaded Crowned Nubian with the 'fleur-de-lis', royal emblem.

The Bear, I think, represents God's pack animal, that against its will (supposedly) must carry on with God's will. It is also supposed to show how the rugged forces of Paganism were tamed by Christianity arriving in Germany, but I like to view everything as reverse, so I say:

It means the arrival of German Paganism in Rome (remember who invaded Rome, oh I don't know, 1600 years ago), this time as wolves in sheep's clothing, hence the tame bear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join