It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Not To Investigate Air America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As I'm sure you're all aware, Air America recently aired a clip that depicted an individual saying, essensially, that his answer to Bush "taking away" his social security is to shoot him. Rhode's response has been that she was unaware of the clip and didn't find it funny. However, on Air America, after the clip aired, she commentedthat that's exactly what should be done to President Bush. Rhodes also said that Bush was like Fredo Corleone and that either Poppy or Jeb should take W. out for a fishing trip and blow him away.

Sounds like she may have been aware of it. Naturally curious as to why the FCC wasn't investigating this, I did a little investigation.

Apparently, in order for the FCC to investigate a radio station, they required to get 12 complaints about the radio station. Since Air America only has 10 listeners, this now makes sense. The FCC's hands are tied; only 10 people heard the clip, and 3 of them were Michael Moore.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Great. Apparently its legal to say "kill the president" over the air waves, but if Howard Stern says "penis" out of context he gets fined $500,000 and kicked off 20 stations.

Dont you love this?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The part that's even more interesting is, all the media coverage is giving Randi Rhode's cover story, that she didn't know about it and found the clip tasteless or humorless or whatever, and not addressing her comments made on the radio right after the clip was aired.

It could also be that the Air America viewing audience doesn't have a problem talking about killing the prez while Howard Stern's audience does have a problem with peni (is that the plural?)

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, there is a difference. Sterns audiance doesnt have an issue with anything, its the people who listen in with the sole intent on finding something offensive to report. Its all about the agenda you see.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Well, there is a difference. Sterns audiance doesnt have an issue with anything, its the people who listen in with the sole intent on finding something offensive to report. Its all about the agenda you see.

This is true. Rush Limbaugh has the same crowd (I used to be one of them until he just drove me to the point of not even wanting to hear his voice. I think it was shortly after he went on a half hour segment talking about how great TiVo was, then read an email from someone thanking him for the infomertial. His response was very educated and to the point: "idiot".) I would imagine Air America has them, too, in the few cities they actually paid their bills in.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Air America has ten listeners? 3 of them are Michael Moore?

Try this on for size, Air America whooped O'Reilly by more than double in the New York ratings.

They gained 73% in the 25-54 Male demographic just recently.

They have more than ten listeners.

I didn't care for the bit, but it doesn't merit investigation, because it was clearly not a threat, it was just an unfunny comedy bit. Do a little research, parody and satire are not libel, and since no direct threat was made on the part of Rhodes or Air America, it can all be chalked up to bad comedy, bad taste. You can't legislate taste, but feel free to try.

Air America puts out good information. Anyone trying to silence their voice because of a stupid intro byte based on the AARNRAP (or whatever), well, they've got issues with the truth and are looking for any excuse to stick it to the messenger.

If you don't like it, change the channel. Simple.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Air America has ten listeners? 3 of them are Michael Moore?

Like you said, satire is not considered libel

The thing I find most interesting about this isn't the FCC's lack of investigation. It was in bad taste, yes, but far worse has been sent over the air waves that's deemed acceptable.

The interesting thing is Randi Rhode's ability to completely lie as part of her appology, and no one is calling her on it. She commented on it and seemed to support it until people got upset. Then, she, essensially, claims she never said what she said. The media is giving her a pass.

O'Reilly has a radio program? Oy...What's next, Michael Savage getting his own radio program? Oh drat...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
. Rhode's response has been that she was unaware of the clip and didn't find it funny. However, on Air America, after the clip aired, she commentedthat that's exactly what should be done to President Bush. Rhodes also said that Bush was like Fredo Corleone and that either Poppy or Jeb should take W. out for a fishing trip and blow him away.

I listen to Randi Rhodes everyday. I heard when the bumper was aired, and I listened to the shows afterwards. After the clip aired, immediately afterwards she was like, "What was that?". It was obvious that she didn't approve. The day following, she has apologized profusely for the mistake, taking responsibility for her staff (unlike, say, Mel Martinez, for example). While she has, rightly, compared to Bush crime family to the Corelone crime family, she has never advocated violence towards anyone. I was just reading an article that based on the success of Air America, more progressive (or "liberal" if you live in a black and white, us against them world) radio shows are starting to hit the airways. The days of talk radio being filling with people who are not critical thinkers are over. People want to hear the truth. People want to hear real news, not a witch hunt for voices critical of the current administration.

On a side note, can you believe the "Scarborough Country" had G. Gordon Liddy comment on Randi? The same guy who, on his radio program, gave instructions about how to kill ATF agents?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I was just reading an article that based on the success of Air America, more progressive (or "liberal" if you live in a black and white, us against them world) radio shows are starting to hit the airways. The days of talk radio being filling with people who are not critical thinkers are over. People want to hear the truth. People want to hear real news, not a witch hunt for voices critical of the current administration.

Then why on earth does anyone tune into any talk radio program? Both sides are guilty of the witch hunt. Just because you may agree with one side and not the other doesn't mean the bias isn't there. If you want to hear the truth, you're going to have to listen to everything out there, read everything out there, watch everything out there, and then filter through the BS and figure out what really happened. This is why we need both sides represented in all forms of the media, because human nature does not allow us to be completely unbiased in how we interpret the news and how we deliever the news, even if it's simply choice of words we use to present something. The truth is out there, you're just not going to get it listening to one radio station.

I was especially amused how you used "progressive" for liberals and "not critical thinkers" for conservatives. That did bring a smile to my face

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Apparently, in order for the FCC to investigate a radio station, they required to get 12 complaints about the radio station. Since Air America only has 10 listeners, this now makes sense. The FCC's hands are tied; only 10 people heard the clip, and 3 of them were Michael Moore.

"3 of them were Michael Moore," that can't be right, he hasn't lost that much weight. Besides, "Err America" is pining for the attention, why give it to them?

Jenny Craig Monkeys, not just for making Liberals skinny anymore...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The FCC isn't investigating it because it would create a huge amount of free publicity for Air America.

Which is a pretty intelligent way of looking at it. Since this is just an on-air fantasy sketch, and poses no real threat to GW or anyone else.

If Air America was shown to be this racy/radical more people might tune in.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
You can't legislate taste, but feel free to try.

you need to more optimistic, like republicans. you say can't, they say can. in fact, they'll take care of the root of the problem and fix all the darned errors in the constitution written by those idiots way back when. it's not like the founders actually knew how to be revolutionaries... they only did it once!
daved

new topics

top topics

join