It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draining Loch Ness?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I am firstly inquiring on the plausibility of temporarily damming off and subsequently draining off Loch Ness, Scotland.
Secondly what could be the possible rammifications for the surounding wildlife, animals, plants etc?

The aim of this expedition would be to once and for all prove conclusively or quash the myths surrounding "The Loch Ness monster" whether by finding an alive or slightly decomposed specimin, or at least some kind of skeleton below the waters.

What are your thought and suggestions.
thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I say leave it alone. We need myths in this world Nessy or no nessy I think I would like to keep thinking there is a possibly that there may be something 1000's of years old lurking in the deep..

Draining the lock would be bad for the area, tourism and animals alike,

just my 2$

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Loch Ness is one of a series of interconnected, murky lochs in Scotland that were carved by glaciers during previous ice ages. Quite large and deep, Loch Ness has exceptionally low water visibility due to a high peat content in the surrounding soil.

Loch Ness is the second largest Scottish loch by surface area at 56.4 km² (21.8 mile²) but due to its extreme depth is the largest by volume. At its deepest part, 226 m (740ft), London's Telecom Tower at 189 m(620 ft) would be completely submerged.

Loch Ness

It would be interesting to try this, but it's simply not feasible.
And from a personal point of view, it would kind of wreck the 'romance' of the nessie myth.

Sanc'.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Uh, some qiuck stats on the size of Loch Ness.

Loch Ness is the largest body of fresh water in Britain.
(1) There is more water in Loch Ness than all the other lakes in England, Scotland and Wales put together.
(2) It is around twenty two and a half miles long and between one and one and a half miles wide, a depth of 754 feet with the bottom of the loch being as flat as a bowling green.
(3) It holds 263 thousand million cubic feet of water which is around 16 million 430 thousand million gallons of water with a surface area of 14000 acres and could hold the population of the world 10 times over.
(4) It is fed by 7 major rivers the Oich, Tarff, Enrich, Coiltie, Moriston, Foyers and Farigaig plus numerous burns, with only one outlet the River Ness which flows 7 miles through Inverness into the Moray Firth 52 feet below the loch surface.
(5) During a heavy rainfall the lochs level has been known to rise by as much as 7 feet and a rise of 2 feet is common place.
(6) The rain catchment area for Loch Ness is so large that a rainfall of just quarter of an adds 11.000.000 tons of water to the loch.
(7) It is said that the loch never freezes and this is true.
(8) Because of the great amount of water in the loch a thermocline lies at around 100 feet down in the loch. The top 100 feet of water alters temperature depending on the weather conditions but below the thermocline the temperature never alters from 44 degrees Fahrenheit. So as the surface water cools in winter and nears freezing point it sinks and is replaced by the warmer water from below. This can cause the loch to steam on very cold days, in fact it as been estimated that the heat given off by the loch in a winter is the equivalent to burning 2 million tons of coal.

I'd hate to try to drain that body of water.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hmmmm.....i see this would be a mammoth of an infinite feat to accomplish.

Ok lets look at this from a different angle.

previous attempts have failed to find hardly anything, due to the mirky slush (oops i mean water, if you get the meaning) or underfunding, or too it physically being too large to explore in the time they have etc etc...

yes we all like to have mysteries but i tell you what....if i were to go looking (present draining topic aside for a second) if i found one then evryone would be like "hooray!", but if i didnt....then i would just tell everyone that it remains a mystery, regardless that i'd explore it in its entirety.

As for the draining....such a feat could be accomplished, but it would take the better half of a year - to reroute the river through pipes as to not flood the local area, and then to drain it off - such a expedition is not out of the realms of possibility, it is just fairly hard. There is also the issue of gaining permission from the scottish and local government, a LOT of persuasion required there...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
As a scotsman....I would recomend against it.
Also, it would be a massive task and well The fishers would have a field day of ripping up the damms.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
leave nessie be.

leave her and her family alone. i think as the others have said........a bit of mystery is just fine.

i don't think that the end result would justify the $$ spent to find out. temporarily changing an eco system JUST to verify if there's something out there???

can you imagine the damage that would result from such a scheme? altering an ecosystem that is millions of years old............i realize your plan is for a short term alternation.......but you have no idea what could happen as a result of your grand plan.

uhhhhh NO................doesn't need to be done.

angie

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So just to prove if "nessie" exists or not you would basically kill them off (if they exist) to do it. Not a very good way of doing it, but I wouldn't put it past us as humans.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
by the way i didnt mean drain it entirely, just partially or mostly. enough so all the animals can stay alive but enough so we can view them all in one place.

the eco system would should be fine, I wouldnt be damming the rivers, nor redirecting them just rerouting them through fairly inexpensive piping.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
No one is really particularly interested in proving the myth one way or another. The tourism industry there is largely based on Nessie, and locals make a lot of money perpetuating the story. The parallel can be drawn to communities like Orleans and Willow Creek in NW California where Bigfoot is the mainstay of the local economy and the occasional 'sighting' is arranged as a community project to keep the curiosity seekers in local motels and restaurants.

Maintaining the status quo (unknown mystery) is in everyone's best interest.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ah well.....i would be satisfied with a skeleton of nessie or a dinosaur or some kind of large animal down there.....if nothing else i would mount another expedition by submarine, however this method is frivolous

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Nessie is really an Ansethor Scout Ship, so it won't be there when the loch is drained. It'll go back into its hidden undergound Ansethor recon bunker. The location has been known to proper authorities for a while (an agency very similar to X-Com in the games), but due to diplomatic concerns, the base has yet to be taken out. Chances are, the peace talks with the Ansethorians will fall appart, and there will be a mysterious boom in Loch Ness following this. After that, though, no more Nessie.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
ok that is way too long what is an anthesor? is it automated?

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
1) nessie is found. after an hour of "wow" nessie would become another amazing creature accepted by the establishemnet, and all interest would wane since she is no longer a cryptid. If nessie is taken alive, lots of money made by putting her in a zoo, and since we don't know much about nessie, she likley dies after having her life ruined, and an ecosystem is destroyed over curiosity. not good

2) nessie is not found. after an hour of "told you so", realization sets in an ecosystem and economy were destroyed over curiosity....not good

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i would NOT allow it to be put in a zoo. precautions would be made to protect the ecosystem. plus i want it to be proved or not

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
88, when did you take control of the project ? where would all the water go ? how can you drain a loch without detroying it ?????? how can satisfying human curiosity justify all the effort, expense and destruction ?

besides, it would ruin the fascination !

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
ok that is way too long what is an anthesor? is it automated?

The Ansethor is the alien race which is responsable for the pyramids throughout the world, including the ones under Rock Lake in Wisconsin. For those not in the know, the Ansethor are usually refered to as reptillians. It's ironic that they've been demonized while the Elorns, or Grays as they're known to the lay person, are the real threat to humanity.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
erm........OK! if ya like.........
maybe ill find tht down there????

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
"The Ansethor are, in theory, the alien race which is responsable for the pyramids throughout the world"

and, of course, nessie.

so nessie built the pyramids ?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Srynx i didnt say i controlled any project.......

It was an idea......nothing more, nothing less.

Also how about the use of t-rays. t-rays would allow the most detailed scan EVER of the surface of Loch Ness, subsequently anywhere

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join