It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe’s ExoMars Rover: Steering A Course Toward Humans On Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
link

BOULDER, Colorado – Future hunts for past or present life on Mars, hauling back to Earth samples of martian rock and soil, as well as setting the stage for a human voyage to the red planet is taking on a decidedly European look.

European Space Agency (ESA) officials are taking steps to shift into high gear the building of the ExoMars robotic rover mission. The lander would be launched in 2011, likely onboard a Soyuz Fregat 2b booster from the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana.

On arrival at Mars, ExoMars would be equipped to scout about for the leftover traces of long-gone life or still thriving biology on the far-away world. Furthermore, the ESA robot is to help identify potential peril for a future humans-to-Mars mission – now resident on NASA planning charts as the year 2030.

damn!!!

i cannot wait for THIS rover!!!

if you thought that NASA's twin rovers were great, just wait for this...

j ust look at this pic...

and this one...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ours look nicer...

I bet it will be delayed, ESA is being too optimistic.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Ours look nicer...

I bet it will be delayed, ESA is being too optimistic.

maybe...

i like all the european flags on the rover...

but i like the US twin rovers too...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The whole 'Ours Vs. Theirs' concept is totally silly. NASA and the ESA WORK TOGETHER for the benefit of Mankind. If you look at the ESA proposal pic you will see a Rover that is totally based on the design by JPL and it is in fact a copy of basic design used in the Spirit and Opportunity rovers down to the steering and drive mechanism, wheel design, as well as the robotic instrument laden arm. When the British probe Beagle went missing BOTH the ESA and NASA worked hard to try and find out when went wrong. This is not some Cold War race against different nations. It is mankind reaching out to the stars in cooperation. NASA has a long history of taking foreign nationals along on missions in the shuttle. NASA and JPL helped the ESA with the design of their Mars Observer satellite and they help us in turn.

Mankind is slowly stepping out from its cradle and reaching out to the planets and this will most assuredly be a cooperative international effort. We should all applaud the tremendous effort that goes into this endeavor and the long hours and dedication of those working to achieve the dreams of humanity.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Terapin]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
The whole 'Ours Vs. Theirs' concept is totally silly. NASA and the ESA WORK TOGETHER for the benefit of Mankind. If you look at the ESA proposal pic you will see a Rover that is totally based on the design by JPL and it is in fact a copy of basic design used in the Spirit and Opportunity rovers down to the steering and drive mechanism, wheel design, as well as the robotic instrument laden arm. When the British probe Beagle went missing BOTH the ESA and NASA worked hard to try and find out when went wrong. This is not some Cold War race against different nations. It is mankind reaching out to the stars in cooperation. NASA has a long history of taking foreign nationals along on missions in the shuttle. NASA and JPL helped the ESA with the design of their Mars Observer satellite and they help us in turn.

Mankind is slowly stepping out from its cradle and reaching out to the planets and this will most assuredly be a cooperative international effort. We should all applaud the tremendous effort that goes into this endeavor and the long hours and dedication of those working to achieve the dreams of humanity.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Terapin]

well that's a great post in my unimportant newbie, below 1000000^e99 points opinion.
i have not much to add, except that i would like to see more international cooperation in the exploration of space. there is simply no need to reinvent the wheel 3 times ( the manned mars programmes: nasa, esa aurora, and the russian one..), at space we are humans, born on planet earth thats it. waste billions of tax payers money to do exactly the same things 3 times..yeah that's logical.....

yes the craddle of humanity, i like the esa-aurora anim.

www.esa.int...

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Hannah]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
NASA's mission to spy on the Martians. MRO Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
NASA's mission to spy on the Martians. MRO Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

thanks...

and niiice site...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Terapin - Nothing wrong with friendly competition.

Personally, I'm more anxious on Nasa's next Rover, The Mars Science Laboratory (MSL), which will launch in 2009, and will be a big jump in rover tech. It will even be better then ESA's, and yet theres will be launched 2 years later. It will touchdown in 2010, with precision, a pre-programmed controlled landing, they expect to get the rover to land in a 12-24 mile area. I like this rover more then ESA's because of its performance and tools, not because its "Nasa". To build this rover there will be plenty of international help, with them building various instuments that will go on it. In August Nasa will launch its MRO (Mars recon Orbiter), which hopefully will go well, because Nasa plans on using its pictures to pick a good interesting site for it to explore, and the Orbiter will still be there when the new rover is on its surface, which they will use for the MSL's communication, making high resolution pictures taken by the Rover get to earth quicker. Another key feature that I like is that instead of rellying on the sun...The MSL will be nuclear powered.
It also will be the first rover to be able to broadcast High Def video back to us.

MSL Rover info

Nasa's Mars Science Laboratory site

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
GREAT Murcielago!!!

that was a great post...

top topics

join