It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

-Sons of Liberty-

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Sometimes the few need to act for the greater good of all.

Or we can just hide our heads in the sand and wait to pick sides between
The Governator and Mrs. Clinton Goes (Back) To Washington. Ugh!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
The few must act for the good of all is exactly what G-dub would say about lying to drag us into a war.

So let me ask you one last time- what exactly do you have in mind post Bush? It sounds a lot like you're trying to paperclip your own equally unconstitutional political party's hatred of Bush's policies onto the far greater cause of constitutional government.

Bill Clinton was every bit as much of an SOB as George W Bush is. Every president and most politicians in general since Kennedy at the VERY LEAST have been. When all you say is "downing street, rove, down with Bush, blah, blah, blah" it gives the distinct impression that you're ready to replace one unconstitutional regime with another and leave it at that. That's not rebelling- that's just revolting, pardon my repeat pun.

If your motives are what they appear to be, do this thread the courtesy of going and starting an appropriate thread for your partisan rhetoric, or at least discuss what needs to happen post-bush to bring about constitutional government.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hopefully a new election would lead to non partisan election reforms.

You are completely mistaken if you think I have any loyalty to any political party.

I just want to see someone reasonably "worthy" of our trust.

I'm getting the impression your view is that the system is SO messed up that we might as well not even bother to do anything.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

'But,' says this writer, 'if you are inclined to pay compliments to an administration, which we do not complain of,' (meaning the Marquis of Rockingham's at the repeal of the Stamp Act) 'it is very unfair in you to withhold them from that prince, by whose NOD ALONE they were permitted to do anything.' this is toryism with a witness! Here is idolatry even without a mask: And he who can calmly hear, and digest such doctrine, hath forfeited his claim to rationality an apostate from the order of manhood; and ought to be considered as one, who hath, not only given up the proper dignity of a man, but sunk himself beneath the rank of animals, and contemptibly crawl through the world like a worm.

I took the meaning of this passage to mean that we should pay homage to a leader for the mere reason that they could more abusive to their subjects had they wanted to. Should we praise a man because they can abuse their power to an even greater extent, but don't? Should we not question injustice because it could be worse?

This passage provides insight into discussion that we should be happy with our freedom in the US, in respect to other countries, and in respect of how much our government could take away. As Paine alludes and according to the principles this country was founded upon, all men are equal, and free to pursue happiness and freedom as long as it does not infringe on others. Humans by nature were not inherently born into subordination. Instead of focusing on the freedom, which is our natural right to have, we must focus on what is contrary to nature in taking our freedoms away.

Therefore, policies like the Patriot Act should be regarded in what it takes away from our natural rights, instead of diverting the issue to the freedoms we still have. Why should we be content in scratching our noses, when we cannot scratch any other part of our body?

That is the real issue regarding freedom in America, whereas, we started out with a broad range of freedom at the beginning of the Constitution of the United States and in the history of man, and only throughout the ages, have these been slowly eroding, and continually doing so. So, in light of these progressions, it is our duty as human beings to regain what natural rights we have lost because of the interest of a few.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I notice this an old thread, but one that got far less attention than it deserved. It is true, some of the original sons of liberty were printers, such as Samuel Adams. Yes I realize there is controversy as to his involvement, but I feel as though if you do your research, you can only deduce that he was. Take for instance the fact that after the Boston Massacre, prints were out with pictures depicting the scene in short hours after said event took place. These prints were wood carvings that take a lot of time. One might assume these carvings were prepared before the event took place. Now theres a conspiracy! Samuel Adams was one of the men that was putting out those prints.

It is time we get back to our roots, back to the constitution. Time for people with the heart of Patrick Henry.... Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I was hopeing to revive this topic, if not the thread. With the questions people have and the conversations I've seen floating around, I figured it would be useful to pull this one up out of the dusty buried area hereon ATS.

Many posts from earlier years have been on target with whats still going on, and it would be nice to see ATSers thoughts on them.

Thank you for the reply, hopefuly more people will add their comments.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would love to see a new "Sons of Liberty" group arise. I think Ron Paul would be the John Adams to this new group, as his views coincide with our founders. Nothing will ever change until we mobilize. If enough people would wake up and all stand together on a united front, they would have to change. I forget which Ron Paul video I saw with him saying he could understand civil disobediance, granted he is for non-violence, but he agreed when you see something wrong its your constitutional right to address grievances.

Sorry, I do not mean to derail this thread and make it a Ron Paul one, it is just that it is hard not to mention a man with those kinds of views when talking about the people that had a hand in our first revolution.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
No your not derailing this thread at all, I agree with a lot of Rons views and support his campaign.

It would be a good thing to see a modern version of the old group. Maybe some day, enough people will see that a revived movement may help.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
hello,

the Mighty Pewbert here. i would like to thank you for your words. it needs to be said and now in the past 3 days many people are seeing the light for once. i will say everyone is about 10 months behind, but once you get off your bum gear yourself up and get out there and start making changes the wheels are rolling. some of us are already in the fight. the GOV blew the first shot and now its OUR TURN to play.

see you there..

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The Sons of Liberty ARE up and running.

americanlibertyriders.ning.com...

quote:

ACTION NOT WORDS--NOW !!!!!
RIDERS Organizing to Support and Defend This Country
We Believe: Freedom and Liberty from More Government Intrustion, Spending, and Taxes. ALL People are created Free and Equal

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it cost nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

We are LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS, WE SEEK A PEACEFUL SOLUTION
In addition to welcoming members of any other organizations or affiliation, Sons of Liberty also welcomes non-riders and supporters.

Sons Of Liberty is a political movement of riders and supporters and as such has: No Club Back Patch, NON-Territorial, Not a M/C,ALL Patriots Welcome

end quote

not trying to recruit or anything, just letting you see proof they are back... If this is the group you have been talking about anyway (I did not read every post from 2003 etc.)

Casing

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A History Lesson Link to Source

The Sons of Liberty & John Wilkes

In many descriptions of the early years prior to the American Revolution, I found references to secretive groups called "Sons of Liberty", which spontaneously, and independently organized throughout the colonies, in response to abuses to liberty by agents of the Crown..

I did extensive keyword searches for `Sons of Liberty', before there was an internet, at the Savannah Public Library and what follows are my findings and how it relates to the Internet today.

. The 'Sons of Liberty' were a secret society, with many members of influence, one of whom was Paul Revere, in Boston. The Boston Sons of Liberty would meet in the `Long Room' above a tavern called `The Dragon', which had a copperplate of a dragon on its sign out front, that had turned, as copper does, green with age and corrosion, and was known to its patrons as "the Green Dragon". It was in this long room, above the Green Dragon, that the various protests and demonstrations in Boston were planned, including the throwing some tea in Boston Harbor.

John Hancock, shipper, and rum smuggler, was the financier, an who at the direction of Boston's tax collector, Samuel Adams, financed the protests and activities of the early Patriots. John Hancock had such a nice signature because he signed it so many times on bills of lading..

The `hero' of the Sons of Liberty, was a Member of the British minority party at the time, one John Wilkes, son of a distiller, who published a political rag called `The North Briton' His newsletter was a barb in the side of the king as well as his lackey in Parliament, Lord Bute. In the 45th issue of this newsletter, John Wilkes, said that

"A man is a sovereign unto himself, and (thus) may only be ruled by his own consent"

John Wilkes was most popular, with the people, and was elected Lord Mayor of London at one point. He was the champion of the Colonies in England, and could be considered one the first English `populist'. The phrase "sons of Liberty' was first used by a member of the minority party who had fought side by side with the colonists in the French & Indian War, in defense of some onerous action by the majority party, and knew the tenacity and determination of the colonists, and said something similar to

" Do not underestimate these `sons of liberty' in America.."

Reading these populist writings, in his home north of London, in the early 1760's, that said that elected officials should truly represent the interests of `the body of the people', was a man named Thomas Pain. When Thomas Pain came to America, and began his writings, he signed his name with a flourish that was misunderstood by the Americans to be an `e', and tiring of correcting people, he began for the sake of brevity, to call himself Thomas `Paine'.

A hundred years later, one newspaper account at the time said that the man who shot President Lincoln, jumped from the balcony onto the stage, and yelled his name (a moniker)

"John Wilkes Bute", which was interpreted to have something to do with John Wilkes and Lord Bute. A reporter got it wrong, and now history calls him `Booth...' This was fascinating, as well as puzzling, that so little of this story of the roots of liberty are taught in the American Public School system...I consider this `lost knowledge'. Knowledge I now feel is essential for the maintenance of that Liberty that our forefathers sought in coming to this `New World'.

Continues:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

The Sons of Liberty begin to dedicate Trees of Liberty It was these trees, used by citizenry, for communication, that became the subject of near-reverence, and dedication in the name of Liberty. Silas Downer, member of the Sons of Liberty of Rhode Island, said the following, at a dedication of a Tree of Liberty, in 1766.

Note well the line containing the phrase `under trees and in the wilderness', it was this line that made me realize, what `Liberty' really means.

At a dedication of a Tree of Liberty in 1766...Silas Downer said:

"We do therefore, in the name and behalf of all the true SONS of LIBERTY in America, Great Britain, Corsica, Ireland or wheresoever they are dispersed throughout the world, dedicate and solemnly devote this tree to be a TREE of LIBERTY.

----May all our councils and deliberations under its venerable branches be guided by wisdome, and directed to the support and maintenance of that liberty, which our forefathers sought out and found under trees and and in the wilderness.

---May it long flourish, and may the SONS of LIBERTY often repair hither, to confirm and strengthen each other. --When they look towards the sacred ELM, may they be penetrated with a sense of duty to themselves, their country, and their posterity:

----And may they, like the house of David, grow stronger and stronger, while their enemies, like the house of Saul, grow weaker and weaker. AMEN

[edit on 31-1-2010 by seataka]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The Stamp Tax The stamp tax was a cleverly designed tax, that required that a `stamp' be purchased, and affixed to all documents, newspapers, bills of laden, court decrees, and posters etc. It was a nominal tax, but one of its intents, was to end `anonymous' postings upon these trees at the center of communities, and to suppress criticism of the government. This tax was never allowed to be implemented, as it was the resulting uproar that ensued throughout the colonies, that created American Revolution -- as coopers, smithies, cabinet makers, men who worked with their hands, joined together, in small groups, independently, to oppose despotic, tyrannical rule..

Local, community posting trees, were quickly dedicated by citizenry, with much fanfare and ceremony, as TREES of LIBERTY, and festooned with imagery, - A boot, with a devil effigy climbing out, was the symbol for Lord Bute, - the King's agent in the House of Commons, who led the effort to tax and discipline the `Colonies' in opposition to minority leader and `populist', John Wilkes, the champion of the Americans.The number `45', in celebration of the 45th issue of John Wilkes North Briton. The phrase "Liberty & Property", used by John Wilkes, was chanted by crowds in, while protesting his imprisonment in England for his outspoken statements about the inalienable rights of man. A tarred and feathered effigy of the local `Stamp Tax collector' And "Long Live John Wilkes!!

-------------------
Link to original Link to Original

-45-

[edit on 31-1-2010 by seataka]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I believe that the SOL (Son's of Liberty) is a great idea as long as those involved are true patriots, and not your "when it's convenient" types. I've been doing this since the early 90's and seen ppl and groups come and go.
I've seen militias build, and be broken apart due to fear. If we're going to do it, let it be done right. I'm with you.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
With the current atmosphere, thought some who may not have read this, would appreciate the content of the subject material.

To those, who should know.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Great old thread. It really should be pinned somehow so that all can see it regardless of how old the thread is.
Advisor, I am glad you are still around to stoke the fires. You are a constant that can be relied upon.

Here's hoping this thread gets more input.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

And here is to another decade of fighting ignorance.

HERE HERE!

By the rising of the Moon!

FOR THE PIKES MUST BE TOGETHER BY THE RISING OF THE MOON!

edit on 9-1-2013 by ADVISOR because:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Since the 1990's all of the militia units have been infiltrated by the FBI.

"I would never join any club that would have me as a member" Groucho Marx

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Now on TV a series about and called, Sons of Liberty from History chan.
Check it out here;

Sons of Liberty
edit on 26-1-2015 by ADVISOR because: spelling

(post by casoteaser removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join