It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tories commit to New York policing in London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

A Conservative government would bring New York-style policing to the capital, Michael Howard has pledged.

As the Opposition unveiled its manifesto for London, the Tory leader said he would put 8,500 extra police on the streets and give the mayor more power over law and order.

The mayor will be given greater powers over the running of the police, with the Metropolitan Police Authority to be scrapped, although the London assembly would be given more powers to hold him to account

The manifesto says: "The example of New York, under Rudi Giuliani, shows how crime can be cut in a major city. But we need more police officers, neighbourhood policing and proper accountability.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.epolitix.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The last place I'd look to for crime-fighting advice and expertise is the USA.

What for? The US has a higher serious crime rate than the UK has now and the UK has a higher crime rate than that of continental Europe.

Surely we should be looking to those with the most successful record on crime?

(I have not seen figures to prove it but IIRC the bulk of Giuliani's so-called 'success' was actually more abour displacing crime from New York city to the outlying areas.)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
The last place I'd look to for crime-fighting advice and expertise is the USA.

Thats what i was thinking.
As you said, the US crime rate is higher then ours.
I dont understand the tories now, each day we are hearing something new that they will do when they get into power. Next they will be saying, we'll become a superpower if we voted for them

new topics

join