It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to Propose Oil Refineries at Ex-Military Bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Under pressure over high energy prices, President Bush on Wednesday will propose tackling the root causes of the problem by encouraging new oil refineries be built at closed military bases and jumpstarting construction of new nuclear power plants.

In a speech, Bush will also propose giving federal regulators the lead authority to decide where to locate terminals for processing imported natural gas. States have increasingly been taking the lead on this issue."

reuters.myway.com...

This is the best news for energy reform in a very long time. Especially the NEW NUKE PLANTS.........its about time there GW.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Especially the NEW NUKE PLANTS.........its about time there GW.

I heartily agree. We need to start moving away from the large scale usage of fossil fuels, and an easy way to do so would be to build more nuclear reactors to power our homes and offices. While there is concern over the danger of nuclear facilities, such as a leak that exposes the environment to radiation, such disasters are quite rare.

Reactors made in the US must meet stringent safety mesures unlike Chernobyl, which did not. In the US, the reactor is inside a huge containment building, so if a disaster does occur, all radiation leaked will remain inside the containment building (Chernobyl did not have a containment building around the reactor).

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Does he think that refineries make crude. Sure it'll increase production but it won't increase the supply of raw crude. It's hard to believe that we are outrunning production when supply is at a premium. This stinks of a government run oil company for the Bush empire. We need to focus the energy on several other venues that would pay off in a couple years.
1: Assist automakers in ramping up hybrid production.
2: Retrofits for older cars, could I swap the transaxle in my 92 fwd for a hybrid module. It does 32 now, I could get 50 easy.

Which companies would get first dibs on these land tracks? Why are they closing bases, did'nt they trash the dems for this? Something is not right

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun
Does he think that refineries make crude. Sure it'll increase production but it won't increase the supply of raw crude. It's hard to believe that we are outrunning production when supply is at a premium. This stinks of a government run oil company for the Bush empire. We need to focus the energy on several other venues that would pay off in a couple years.
2: Retrofits for older cars, could I swap the transaxle in my 92 fwd for a hybrid module. It does 32 now, I could get 50 easy.

Which companies would get first dibs on these land tracks? Why are they closing bases, did'nt they trash the dems for this? Something is not right

Base closing started after the fall of the evil empire in the late 80's. The land in many cases is already on the EPA's clean-up list due to years of LEAD, etc. so the land is not being utilized at this time. Building a refinery makes pretty good sense.

If you wish to drive a golf cart around (hybrid) then please do so. I want to drive an aircraft carrier on wheels. Nuclear powered and all.

If you want to rant about 'empires" look at Kennedy, Kerry, Soros, Streisand, Opra, Ted Turner and every other rich liberal on the planet. How is it you can rant about "bush family" and not point fingers in the mirror of liberalizim.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun

In case you haven't noticed, Bush has also proposed plans for aquiring more crude oil - such as drilling an Alaska and better relations with Russia and other large scale oil producing countries. Some of the problems with gas prices in the US is in fact due to refinery and distribution problems - this one reason why gas prices are so much higher in major metro areas that require special blends of gas.

Also, the US Dept of Energy has been researching alternative fuels for a very long time, and has been spending a lot of money doing so. It also would not be efficient to just make retrofit hybrid transaxles for older cars. Not only would you have to reverse engineer a system into a car not designed for it - but you would also not have a car that is up to modern safety standards. Add in the cost of fixing the suspension/brakes/etc to keep the car driveable and it is probably about as cheap to make a new car - and you get a better product.

top topics

join