It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were elected Pope what would YOU do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The Canon Law of the Catholic Church does not stipulate expressly that the Pope has to be a Cardinal, Bishop or, for that matter, even a priest. With this in mind, during the recent Papal Conclave, suppose that through some act of Divine Intervention, YOU were elected Pope. There you are, sitting at home, watching Judge Judy on television and a big black mercedes loaded with Cardinals pulls into your driveway. They knock at your door and annouce that YOU were elected Pope. What would you do as the new spiritual leader of the Catholic Church? Incidentally, what would you select as your name as pope? Remember, it's a tradition.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well if I were elected pope I would make the church officially recognize medjugorje. As for my name Im not sure. Maybe john paul the 3rd. In honer of who could have been the greatest pope we've ever had.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Corky the XXIV is the name, getting rid of child rapists is the game. Have all convicted/defrocked priests rounded up and shot. Then wait till 2008 US elections to come around and tell all catholics to vote for a third party. Republicans lose, Dems take back the country and we might actually have a good economy again.

Also, make marrige legal, gay marriges, priest marriges, and stop the 6,000 year old earth bs.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Corky the XXIV is the name, getting rid of child rapists is the game. Have all convicted/defrocked priests rounded up and shot. Then wait till 2008 US elections to come around and tell all catholics to vote for a third party. Republicans lose, Dems take back the country and we might actually have a good economy again.

Also, make marrige legal, gay marriges, priest marriges, and stop the 6,000 year old earth bs.

Okay first off, the Republicans will be back in the office come 2008. Secondly, I would allow priests to marry. I think that would help solve the problem. I would also find out the priests names who sexually assaulted those children and have them locked up in Jail.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
@James and Ryan

I sent this as part of a U2U to James, but I thought I would repeat it here.

You are letting the priestly child rapist off easy. Er, I mean you must look after their souls as the head of the flock. Penance is in order, and extreme mortification of the flesh is should still be on the books, if not you can add it again. I would suggest Flagellation, in rememberance of Dominicus Loricatus (100 lashings per psalm; 20 psalters-the complete book of psalms x20) , to be administered by the child in question if of age, or the parents of the child in question or any adult who bears anger because they have had such an atrocity occur to them or a family member.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
nah it doesnt make sence to let priests marry. How can you fully devote your life to God and the church if you have a wife and kid to worry about, and how are you supposed to support them anyway? How are they going to send their kids to college?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
well I say throw them in Jail, and let God enforce the rest of the punishment that is to bestowed upon them. They will get theres from God.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
nah it doesnt make sence to let priests marry. How can you fully devote your life to God and the church if you have a wife and kid to worry about, and how are you supposed to support them anyway? How are they going to send their kids to college?

Correct, and I understand the thinking of the Church with this. However, in the current ages with the sexuality that is present, I believe it should be an optional matter. If you feel as though you would better serve God by not being married, than that is fine; but if you want to get married, and it helps you fight temptation off, that is fine as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I have no problem with married priests. There are a few Catholic sects, such as the Marion Rite church which allow married priests, however, these particular individuals can never become bishops. Marriage was outlawed for priests in the middle ages to help stop abuses through nepotism and to end what was then an epidemic of simony. Furthermore, marriage for priests can be restored as it is not an item of infallibility. With the rapid decline in the numbers of priests, this is an idea whose time is rapidly approaching. Incidentally, woman priests can NEVER come to pass. Anyway, I can agree on this action if I were ever elected pope through some truly divine act.

new topics

top topics

join