It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large pics of Roswell Daily Record front page!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
All over the net, all you ever see is tiny little pics.
As I have a copy of my own, I took some bigger pics so you can read the articles yourself, and see it better....

They can be seen below and on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks!

Here they are...

Main Headline....

Another angle of it...

An article (also on the front page) about how Roswellians view the topic of flying saucers...remember, this is only weeks after Arnold's famous sighting...

And here's an interesting find...how the hell did I miss this??? General Twining clearly stating ON THE RECORD, that the Army had NO AERIAL DEVICE OF ANY KIND being tested then!!!
Also on the front page...

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Good God!

How could he marry HER?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Nice pictures Gazrok.

Have you seen any more info on the Wilmot's sighting? Did they see the disk on July 4th. It could be they saw a different one, or the same disk on a different day. There were reported sightings on radar several days before.
But from the description of the crash scene, IMO this thing was moving too fast to get a detailed description like in the article. Maybe they saw another disc that was looking for their friends? I wonder why "they" did not attempt to recover the crash before we did. Who knows. Still lots of questions.

I was looking into radar possibly being the cause of the crash, and found quite a bit. But there alot to learn about radar before being able to make an intelligent post. But I'll give it a try sometime next week.

The last article about Gen. Twinning is interesting. At the end, it explains that they were sending up planes with cameras to look for more discs.

That paper is like gold, I hope it didn't cost too much.

Edit: I just found the answer, the Wilmot sighting was on July 3rd, so it was probably a different sighting than the actual crash.

1947 Roswell UFO Incident

On the evening of July 3, 1947 Dan Wilmot, a respected business owner, and his wife were sitting on their front porch when they saw a bright saucer shaped object with glowing lights moving across they sky at 400-500 miles per hour. Dan Wilmot estimated that the unidentified flying object was about 20-25 feet across. The flying object appeared from the Southeast and disappeared to the Northwest. Dan Wilmot reported his unusual sighting to the Roswell Daily Record.

[edit on 4/23/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
To me the General Twining article is interesting, but I don't see any value in his words.

Consider these two points:

1. His statement is an attempt to cover up a secret project.

2. He's telling the truth, as far as he knows. Just because he is a General on the base, it doesn't mean he knows everything that goes on there. There is a requirement before disclosure of classified information can be justified, called "Need to Know".

I have a DoD clearance. This doesn't mean I'm privy to all info the DoD has at my clearance level. I'm allowed access to any information that I have the proper clearance for, and that I have a need to know for. If I am not actively working on a project, I do not have a need to know for some information, I will not be privy to that info even though I have the sufficient clearance.

General Twining worked for the Material Command at the base. If some other organization from the army was conducting these experiments, he would not have a need to know, and even though he is a General, would not be given access to that project.

Between the two points above, I believe the first one because later AF statements about Mogul and other projects show that there WERE classified aerial projects going on at that base.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I agree that the General would not mention the existance of classified projects even if he knew about them.

It seems to me that he is speaking the literal truth to a degree, just leaving out a few points. I do not think there was much the military was doing at the time that could be mistaken for a formation of discs.

He admits there is something worth investigating. And the rest of the article seems to say that flights were out looking for something.

Just neglects to mention the material we had found that could not be explained.

A.T
(-)

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
They might be (subtly) linked to the incident (?):

1) "Ex-King Carol Weds Mme. Lupescu" (photo)

How could he marry her? Caption says it all: "Former King Carol of Romania and Mme. Elena Lupescu relax aboard the S.S. America bound for Cuba and Mexico in May, 1941. A member of Carol's household in Rio de Janeiro said the ex-king and his companion for 23 years in reign and exile were recently married at their hotel Copacabana Palace suite." (AP Wirephoto)

2) "Held for Threatening Father in Law's Life" (newspiece below the one about Maj. Gen. Twining)

"Bill Loy is held in the county jail until a hearing before Justice Harry Puryear on a charge of threatening the life of his father-in-law, Jim Eakin, and family. The charge was filed by the father-in-law. Peace bond has been set at $400."

3) Factoid below the latter news, occupying the last three lines of the column: "Most commercially grown orchids take five or more years to grow from seed."

4) "Movies as Usual" (photo, upper left-hand corner)

"Levees broke and flood waters rolled into the town of Grand Tower, Ill., but whle the manager of this movie theater sweeps out the water that has entered the lobby, these youngsters are standing in line for tickets for the night's performance. (AP Wirephoto)

5) QUICKIES by Ken Reynolds (cartoon, lower right-hand corner)

Man with black suit and hat and holding small valise with words "Loan Company" on it is showing a handful of dollar bills, some of which he is carelessly dropping, and says to man smoking pipe and standing on his doorstep: "You answered our Record Want Ad relative to a loan. I'd like to show you some samples of our product."

6) Welcome notices (just below cartoon, bottom of column)

Welcome to Roswell
Sgt. and Mrs. R.D. Barnes
Sgt. and Mrs. Van Chamberlain

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Would you like a shot of the weather too?

As for Twining....my point merely being that it is an example of official contradiction. He could have easily said, "Yes, we did have some experiments going in the area, but the details are classified", and that would have been that in a military town. Instead, he is giving an OFFICIAL response that they had nothing up in the area. (which is true, because they had Mac recant, saying he found debris weeks earlier, and also because whatever was recovered, it wasn't ours...
)

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Gazrok
What you said about Twining's statement being made to a small military town is true if he made that statement to the Roswell paper, but he didn't. The statement is quoted from a newspaper in Oregon.

His statement is an example of an official giving a contradictory statement. There were a lot of them in the days after this event. I wouldn't call it an official statement because 'officially' only the public affairs office of the base can issue a statement on behalf of the military. If it was a private who made that statement, he would surely have been punished for making it. I think the General was able to skate out of charges though...

At any rate, it is an interesting statement and it's one of the things about Roswell that helps the conspiracy live on after all these years.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The statement is quoted from a newspaper in Oregon.

Point taken, but interesting to see Twining mentioned too, eh? Given his later involvement with all things Roswell....

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I was looking into radar possibly being the cause of the crash, and found quite a bit. But there alot to learn about radar before being able to make an intelligent post. But I'll give it a try sometime next week.

Gazrok, I've been looking into the cause of the crash, but have hit a few snags. It seems the claims that the UFO was tracked is from the book The Truth About The UFO Crash At Roswell, by Kevin D. Randle and Donald R. Schmitt. And I guess Stanton Friedman also suggested some military experiment, but I don't know which book. Project 1947 is saying they didn't have very good radar capability at that in order to track it. So I'm a bit confused, and I have not read books by these authors. I will have to get them later.

Also, you suggested looking into FOIA docs, but my searches are not returning anything. Any suggestions?

I doubt I could do all the research in a timely manner, but will keep at it. But if you get to it first, I'm sure you could do a better job. Got a suggestion for the title though, "The Day Before Roswell".

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

It seems the claims that the UFO was tracked is from the book The Truth About The UFO Crash At Roswell, by Kevin D. Randle and Donald R. Schmitt. And I guess Stanton Friedman also suggested some military experiment, but I don't know which book. Project 1947 is saying they didn't have very good radar capability at that in order to track it. So I'm a bit confused, and I have not read books by these authors. I will have to get them later.

As stated in my Roswell threads, the claim of the UFO being tracked is largely attributed to Kaufmann, whom I consider (and most UFOlogists consider) to be an unreliable witness. Even the authors you mention, now dismiss his claims. I could find NO confirmation of the object being tracked on radar. Of course, for a coverup in place for over half a century, not really surprising now is it?

The radar in the area was some of the most advanced out there, White Sands, etc. so capability isn't a question. The Roswell air field specifically didn't have the best radar, but it really didn't need it, as other nearby sites more than made up for it.

Also, you suggested looking into FOIA docs, but my searches are not returning anything. Any suggestions?

Look on CUFON's site, they've done some of the digging for you. When looking for FOIA on the actual FOIA site, look for Electronic Reading Room, both CIA and FBI. In pdf format, so takes a bit to load all. Look under Unexplained Phenomenon, as usually only a couple under UFOs...oddly enough. I'll try and make a quickie post about how to get the most out of FOIA when I get a chance.

Friedman once claimed that it would have made more sense for the government to claim an errant missile from a test at White Sands, etc. than the Mogul explanation, so that's probably what you're thinking of there.

[edit on 25-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Nice pics Gaz! Thanks!

(probably) off topic:

My brother rented an old house some years ago, and when he moved in I was "chosen" to clean up the cellar. As I was reading through old stacks of paper, I found a copy of "Le Soir", a French (yuk
) newspaper, dated somewhere in 1947. It was badly worn but still readable and it had a few articles about "Soucoupes volantes" (flying saucers) sightings culminating above the USA in it. I remember I took home, but I can't remember where it is... It might be lost
It was kinda cool to find it though and if I ever stumble upon it again, I promise to scan it and post it here.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well, there was a HUGE wave of sightings in '47, so not too surprising.
Sure sounds interesting, would love to see it...

pao

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
how and where did you get a copy of that news paper? was it pricey?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Gazork, ponder this one

"Some of these witness evidently saw something but we don't know what we are investigating"

Now think about an Airforce General in the late 40's and read through what he is saying....

"Some of these witness "evidently" (they saw it, the Goverment does not want it to be leaked but non the less they did see it)

BUT (meaning they did recover something) we don't know what we are investigating.

Either he is being entirely frank at the moment and is admitting that they recovered something that they have not identified at the moment, or it is indeed something top secret and the Goverment is just trying to put off the public by saying they don't know what it is.

then it goes on to say

'meanwhile (meaning at close to the same time but occuring somewhere else) National Guard Squads from Portland Boise and Spokane are patrolling twice a day with Camera Equipped aircraft but have not spotted the objects'....

obviuse response to the Washington sighting that spawned the whole "flying saucer" business to begin with.

The Airforce at that time knew something was up there and it was not ours, and were hoping to make a connection between the two events.
Also did you notice that in the main article about Marcel's statment saying they recovered the "instrument" and had been sent to "higher authorities" I think it said.

I think that since they called it an "instrument" and the General saying we don't know what we are investigating. Meaning they are unsure if it was some type of probe or aircraft or spacecraft or possibly sub orbital missile booster remains.... They did not have a positive ID of what the materials purpose was. Did it carry people, was it a weapon was it a intelligence gathering device...... they did not know..

Could be alien, maybe could be forigen, maybe could be home grown, covert op program.... Whatever it was it was determined to be not disclosed to the public as we know.

Thats why I think we recoverd "something" something not produced here on this planet and to this day the Goverment still has no idea where it came from except maybe a vauge idea of the isotope composition of a range of stars that it could have come from.....

but what it was or what it was intended to do or where it

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Very good points....

how and where did you get a copy of that news paper? was it pricey?

Actually, it was rather inexpensive... I got it at a convention, and actually purchased it from Donald Schmitt himself....
We had a nice conversation regarding some of the affidavits and deathbed confessions that they've collected (largely referring to his one time partner, Kevin Randle). This was a few years back. I've since seen the paper on microfiche, and I'd imagine you could probably buy it just about anywhere in Roswell, NM, and likely online these days.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Wow, nice stuff Gaz.

I downloaded the headlines and will read them in detail later.

Still not sure about roswell as I've said before but I'm gonna give these a good look.

Will post my obnoxious two cents later.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nice, be sure to keep a hold of that!
I would have thought it would be very expensive, good that you got it for a decent price. A little bit of history!

top topics

join