It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wonder how many other prisons are run by nuns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I wonder how many other prisons are being run in convents all over the world, I just watched a movie made about this sordid hideous religious order where they imprisoned women and worked them in the laundry amd made money. Its horrible but it went on until 1996. I really have nothing against any religion but this is enough to make anyone sick. My own daughter used to be Catholic, thank God she got a divorce and changed her religion since she was automatically excommunicated for being divorced. She was already upset with the church over the birth control issue, after all the more children born and raised in the Catholic faith the more money that goes into the collection plates. Seriously I knew the Catholic religion had a bloody past but I thought that was back in the dark ages, apparently not. This is disgraceful they should have put every nun and priest asscoiated with this in prison IMO.

www.cbsnews.com...
It began five years ago when an order of nuns in Dublin sold off part of its convent to real estate developers. On that property were the remains of 133 women buried in unmarked graves, and buried with them was a scandal.

As it turns out, the women had been virtual prisoners, confined by the Catholic Church behind convent walls for perceived sins of the flesh, and sentenced to a life of servitude in something called the Magdalene laundries.

It sounds medieval, something that happened hundreds of years ago, but, in fact, the last Magdalene laundry closed just over two years ago

[edit on 20-4-2005 by goose]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Read up on "mortification" and Opus Dei, there's some truly wacky things to the extreme catholics.
Real wacky. I guess anything when taken to extremes is out there.

I'm catholic and sometimes i wonder about this medieval religion trying to keep us in line and on the other hand promoting other stuff.

Almost forgot, nuns are the baddest creatures on earth. I went to a catholic school at one point. Words cant describe it.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
To be fair, throughout my school years, I've had as teachers some wonderful women who were nuns.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjane
To be fair, throughout my school years, I've had as teachers some wonderful women who were nuns.

Sorry I did not mean to amke anyone feel that I am insinuating that all nuns and priests are bad people, I am sure the majority are good people but when a convent has been closed due to the abuses suffered there for years and years, when 30,000 women and female children have suffered forced labor and imprisonment for no crime, some were kidnapped and 130 died there. These women were robbed of years and many were imprisoned their whole lives, their whole lives taken by a group of nuns then I think it is time to look a clittle closer at all these types of institutions that hide behind a cloak of decency in an enclosed society, one can't help but wonder if there are others like it, especially when one realizes that this went on until the late 1990's the last one closed in 1996.

new topics

top topics

join