It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China and Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

BEIJING - China on Sunday rebuffed Tokyo's demands for an apology after sometimes violent anti-Japanese demonstrations, while new protests took place in several cities over perceived efforts by Japan to gloss over its wartime history and to gain a permanent U.N. Security Council seat.

Are we starting to see the early stages of the fight for dominance of Asia? Japan might just start to militerize herself again against the percieved threat of China militerizing herself and becoming more aggressive on the world stage?

Many Chinese believe Japan has never truly shown remorse for its prewar invasion of China.

I do not believe that China has shown any remorse for invading Tibet. How can China expect Japan to do something that it has not done itself?

Li said Japan, instead, was to blame for "a series of things that have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people" over issues such as relations with rival Taiwan and "the subject of history" — a reference to new Japanese history textbooks that critics say minimize Tokyo's World War II-era atrocities.

China has committed some of those same atrocities against its own people.

Japan's Trade Minister Shoichi Nakagawa warned the violence would hurt China's reputation and economy. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce says Japan has $47.9 billion invested in China.

This may slow down some of the investment money going into China. If China does not cool this situation down it could have very bad consequences for them. India may be the only winner in this fight.

Article quoted above.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001

I do not believe that China has shown any remorse for invading Tibet. How can China expect Japan to do something that it has not done itself?

While I agree that China isn't exactly a shining example of human rights, I am unaware of anything in modern Chinese history that even comes close to the atrocities the Japanese committed in China during WWII. Not acknowledging events like the Rape of Nanking would be akin to Germans leaving out the Holocaust or Shoah in their history books.

The thing about the Tibet invasion is that it did have some support from within Tibet. Many in Tibet wanted their country to modernize and resented their current form of government. We don't know if it was a majority or not, but we do know that some high ranking officials in Tibet did in fact solicit a Chinese inavsion.

[edit on 17-4-2005 by Hajduk]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I watched these demonstrations and I think its obvious the Chinese Government is behind these violent protests.....These no way the Red Chinese would allow a protest march otherwise.

I wonder what the end game is here?....Probably to rile up the herd for the upcoming fireworks. A US armed Japan could cause the PRC some serious headaches.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
Are we starting to see the early stages of the fight for dominance of Asia?

- No, I don't think so. Take a look at the map, China already (and always will) "dominates" Asia.

As shown on some other threads this is most likely to do with the dispute over where territorial waters begin and end in the south China seas and the 'ownership' of the oil and gas reserves found there.

Japan might just start to militerize herself again against the percieved threat of China militerizing herself and becoming more aggressive on the world stage?

- Well firstly exactly what "becoming more aggressive on the world stage" behaviour from China?

Secondly Japan is only going to "militarize herself" if the current US admin are dumb enough to agree it (so that they can play their usual ill advised and very short-term expedient politics with China).
IMO they are playing with fire.

- This is an entirely different issue. Tibet is a part of China.

.....and I'd be more inclined to take lectures from America about the succession of parts of a countries' territory the day I see it happen there in the USA.
IIRC the USA fought a hugely divisive and bloody civil war to halt such a thing regardless of what the indigenous people of the south wanted, hmmm?

China has committed some of those same atrocities against its own people.

- Once again a totally separate issue and nothing to do with the matter in hand.
You may attempt to divert all you like Dr but the issue of the moment still awaits dealing with.

(....and again, US atrocities against her own - native - people never stopped the USA commentating on 'human rights', hmmm?)

This may slow down some of the investment money going into China. If China does not cool this situation down it could have very bad consequences for them. India may be the only winner in this fight.

- Now, at last, we see some sensible points for discussion. Hooray!

Shared interest and mutually beneficial outcomes, that is where the solution to all this lies, not this stupid nonsense about coming wars and idiot notions about China and the Russians (oh and don't forget some want to include India in this laughable 'grand coalition) ganging up on the USA.

[edit on 17-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join