It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face on mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I remember a while back seeing a picture of a face from mars from an aerial shot - do you reckon the rover should go there and check it out or is it too far away, or has it already been ?

if this has been discussed before or is just a plain silly question then you can delete it :-)

Cheers

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm quite sure you can find more of these from a search of the forums.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Heres a few related topics for you

mars face
and

www.abovetopsecret.com...

do you reckon the rover should go there and check it out or is it too far away, or has it already been ?

as for that ill let others explain as i have no idea

[edit on 15-4-2005 by asala]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Still it might be a face but badly worn.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The human brain is evolved to find patterns and has a particularly good pattern recognition set when it comes to faces. Facial recognition plays a very important role in human existence and it is common for people to 'see' faces in simple every day objects.

What he said.

I always like to say it's the same as when people see Jesus in the stains on their shower curtain.

apc

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

The human brain is evolved to find patterns and has a particularly good pattern recognition set when it comes to faces.

No kidding we have a nice little section of brain dedicated to facial recognition. It is constantly searching for faces in the images our brain presents it with in attempt to isolate the face of a person we may be looking at (also appears to have its own memory structures). I read once of a very specific type of brain damage that affects these centers and people are completely incapable of distinguishing faces. They can pick out an eye or a mouth, but they cant figure out that it all forms a face. I dont have links but Google is our friend. Amazing what we are learning about the unknown depths within our own skulls.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i think the rovers should go to this area.....it may not be a real face, but theres no denying all the other anomalies in this area:

www.mars-earth.com...

im not saying I believe that there was an ancient city here (who knows?), but I think it is definatley worth our while to explore this area of mars.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeanutButterJellyTime

The human brain is evolved to find patterns and has a particularly good pattern recognition set when it comes to faces. Facial recognition plays a very important role in human existence and it is common for people to 'see' faces in simple every day objects.

What he said.

I always like to say it's the same as when people see Jesus in the stains on their shower curtain.

And just two days ago, an image of Virgin Mary on the leaking concrete wall of the overpass

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hate to break it to the true believers(not sure if any posted in this thread but I KNOW some will read this thread
) but the face on mars in nothing but a mesa. Anthopmophisation(sp?) is an interesting phenomenon, i do it all the time with clouds and such. Just cuz it looks like a face doesn't mean it is a face!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thats a purtty strong statment considering the FACT we (man) hasent even been to mars yet nore have we gotton close enough to this area to realy see just what is there.
You say it Isent a face I say it mite be you say there isent life I say there mite be . Its unflexible attatuds that cause scientific study to Stall.
Excample 1930 ( Mr scientest sir is it possible to go to the moon.
(Scientest) No way no how (IMPOSSIBLE).
1935 Mr Scientest sir is it possible to go faster then sound?
(scientest) No way NO how Impossible . I could go on showing more things but i think this makes the point.Today (Faster then light impossible 0) Face on mars Impossible (most scientest Intellegent life out there Impossible.
The point is Strik Impossible from your vocablery because It isent a matter of impossibiltys but of PROBLITYS . Form a theory then find the evedence to Prove Or disprove the theory.
Theroy There is what looks like a mile long Carved face on mars .
Proff photo not enough evedence to prove behond a dought .
Newer photo shows Less defonichion of said face . Proff it isent a face?
again NO not enough evedence to prove behond a dought .
so untill we get much closer a mabby even dig around it a little the jury is still out . Is it a face ?? I dont know Next step is to get better info.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by PeanutButterJellyTime

What he said.

And just two days ago, an image of Virgin Mary on the leaking concrete wall of the overpass

hey, don't knock it. That grilled cheese sandwich got almost 30 000 on Ebay. When there's money to be made, I'm surprised people aren't seeing religious imagery everywhere, and cashing in!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
Thats a purtty strong statment considering the FACT we (man) hasent even been to mars yet nore have we gotton close enough to this area to realy see just what is there.
You say it Isent a face I say it mite be you say there isent life I say there mite be . Its unflexible attatuds that cause scientific study to Stall.
(scientest) No way NO how Impossible . I could go on showing more things but i think this makes the point.Today (Faster then light impossible 0) Face on mars Impossible (most scientest Intellegent life out there Impossible.
The point is Strik Impossible from your vocablery because It isent a matter of impossibiltys but of PROBLITYS . Form a theory then find the evedence to Prove Or disprove the theory.
so untill we get much closer a mabby even dig around it a little the jury is still out . Is it a face ?? I dont know Next step is to get better info.

I normally don't say anything about this (don't throw stones in glass houses), but take a little time to proofread your post before you hit the reply button. proff? isent? evedence? mabby? vocablery?

anywaz, most people forget that the "Face on mars" picture was taken in the 1976 by the Viking 1 probe. since then in 1998 and 2001 there have been much better images of the Cydonia regions. Which can be explained on this site:
www.space.com...

we have better info, which means the "it Might be" people are more and more wrong, just stop being lazy and look for it yourself.

it is people who belive falsely and are inflexible as evidance appears that need to find more proof to support thier wild conspiracy theories

[edit on 4/21/2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Ther is a website with some pretty amazing photos.

www. metaresearch.org

But you'llhave to make up your mind for yourself.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
considring that Mars is a rather larger place and relatively filled with "unknowns", sending a rover to the "face" would be just as good as any other and perhaps even better. So many people, so many conspirisists have such passionate interest in the face that it seems like the most likely place to explore. Prove it's a face, prove that it's not....the important thing is to go Mars and study it. Surely if they prove that the face is nothing more than an illusion the mission will not have been a "vanity mission". There is still plenty of cool and most interesting science to be done in that particular area. At least the scientists would have settled at least one mystery instead of simply raising more questions.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I AGREE WITH YOU 1000%, NOT ONLY SHOULD THE ROVERS GO THERE TO THE CYDONIA REGION WHERE THE FACE AND THE PYRAMIDS AND SO OBVIOUS STRUCTURES ARE, THEY SHOULD HAVE LANDED THERE INSTEAD OF SOME BOGUS CRATER. OH AND IF YOU GO TO NASA'S JPL WEB SITE FOR THE MOST RECENT PHOTOS OF THE MARTIAN MOUNTIAN IT IS JUST CRAZY HOW NASA EDIT'S THE SO OBVIOUS STRUCTURES ON MARS. PASTEING AND EDITING SEEMS TO BE THE TRADEMARK OF OUR GLORY SPACE PROGRAM. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think you should stop talking in all caps.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
simcity4rushour says:

"Thats a purtty strong statment considering the FACT we (man) hasent even been to mars yet nore have we gotton close enough to this area to realy see just what is there."

If we haven't been to Mars, then it seems to me the chances of someone having carved a face on Mars is rather remote.

True. but the taxpayers and the government who sets the priorities up and the4 taxpayers who have to fund the whole thing all want to get the most bang for their buck. I cant think of any researchers who think the "face" on mars is anything but an eroded mesa, so they're not going to spend millions of our tax dollars chasing something with a one-in-a-million chance of being anything anomalous

(scientest) No way NO how Impossible .

So what's your point, Sim? Because scientists and engineers were not able to foresee all kinds of things, we should ignore all of their recommendations and just go somewhere because Simcty4Rushour says we should?

"The point is Strik Impossible from your vocablery because It isent a matter of impossibiltys but of PROBLITYS ."

Exactly, Sim. And the probability of your "face" being anything but an eroded mesa is vanishingly small, and not (in my oipinion or that of researchers) worth dumping millions of dollars into.

Form a theory then find the evedence to Prove Or disprove the theory.

Good. Go out and get better info. But scientists and engineers and the taxpayers who support their efforts don't have an obligation to go out and get better info for you, any more than they have an obligation to go to the North Pole to find Santa's Workshop.

Hey, that's a theory too, right?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
thanks jehosaphat for this info;

www.space.com...

I know the hard core believers won't put any stock in these photos (nasa edited them, that what they want you to belive) but for me, this is proof positive

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It continues to amaze me that a 25 year old picture from a very early and primitive Mars mission still has people believing in the Martian boogie men. The area since then has been well photographed by a few different missions and not all of them by NASA. Even the earliest photos were demonstrated to be just shadowing effects due to the angle of light and the angle at which the photo was taken. Photos taken shortly later at a slightly different time and angle bore this out. LASER altimeter images also showed that is was just an odd mountain. Recent Photos from both NASA and the ESA show that it is just and odd mountain. There is no "face on mars" other than the one you see in your imagination just like those who see things while gazing up at clouds.

The human brain has been wired down through the millennia of evolution to recognize patterns and shapes that are familiar from every day experience. It is a valuable survival trait. We are particularly good at recognizing faces and use that ability from the day we are born. That's why we can often see faces peering out of tree bark, foliage, swirls of stucco and stains on walls. Our eyes are quick to recognize a pair of eyes, a nose, the shape of a head in the random patterns created in these textures. Sometimes they are very familiar - like, Jesus, Mary, your aunt Louise... or Elvis.

The idea that an ancient Alien race would be advanced enough to carve a huge mountain into such a shape and not leave ANY other megaliths behind is even more absurd. They only lived in that one tiny region and never did anything else? No roads? No cities? No Walmart????

It is good to see people interested in things beyond their own backyard but sad to see some become so gullible and not use their intellect to examine the evidence.
I have a potato that looks just like Elvis ....anyone wana buy it???? Hmmm maybe it IS Elvis and NASA is just editing this thread Hmmmmm

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
thanks jehosaphat for this info;

www.space.com...

I know the hard core believers won't put any stock in these photos (nasa edited them, that what they want you to belive) but for me, this is proof positive

Hello syrinx high priest ! :-)

The photo of the face in the article you give is upside down !

The Hoagland/Torun mathematical model proves that something
is going on with Cydonia ! The face, that does look like a face (if viewed
the right way up), cannot stand in isolation, but the other anomalies
around it and their relationships proves it, to me anyway.

barney

[edit on 2-5-2005 by djbarney]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join