It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Review - The Holographic Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The Holographic Universe
by Michael Talbot

Author Talbot writes that ". . . there is evidence to suggest that our world and everything in it. . . are also only ghostly images, projections from a level of reality so beyond our own it is literally beyond both space and time." Hence, the title of his book. Beginning with the work of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, both of whom independently arrived at holographic theories or models of the universe, Talbot explains in clear terms the theory and physics of holography and its application, both in science and in explanation of the paranormal and psychic. His theory of reality accommodates this latest thinking in physics as well as many unresolved mind-body questions. This well-written and fascinating study is recommended for science collections.

The theory of the Holographic Universe has floated on conspiracy circles for decades before coalescing into a theory by the minds of Dr. David Bohm and Dr. Karl Pribram. Michael Talbot takes the Holographic principle one step further and illustrates how this discovery could better explain the Mind, Body, Space and Time. From religious miracles, ghastly apparitions to medicinal placebo effects, Talbot connects all of these seemingly paranormal occurrences into the realm of the ‘Holographic’.

When I first read Talbots explanation of the Hologram (which conveniently comes in the beginning of the book) I was thrown back a little by his mundane and at some points confusing explanation of ‘single laser beam split’. However, in short he states that an incredible amount of information can be stored on the surface of a Holographic film. When this holographic film is viewed at certain angles, then the information that is displayed on one angle of the film can transform into something completely different. The way this information is stored enables the film to retain the exact information even when it’s separated in two. For example, if there is an image of an apple on the holographic film and one were to take scissors to the film and split the film in half. The apple would not be split down the middle but the two separate films would have a complete image of an apple on the surface. Take scissors to those two pieces of holographic film again and each segment will have the same complete image on the apple. While this image seems very tangible, one can reach their hand and discovery that there is really nothing there. The hologram is merely a record of image.

But if reality is just a holographic record, just exactly what is it a record of? Bohm suggest that we exist in an explicate or ‘unfolded’ order while the deeper level of reality is the implicate or ‘enfolded’. Even more mind-boggling, Bohm claims that even the explicate and implicate orders are just one grand illusion and that everything in reality is part of a continuum. In essence, take a look at the inside of you hand, see those swirling patterns in your fingerprint? Within it, you can find the crab nebula embedded in your thumb. This interconnectedness also expands to encapsulate our consciousness which explains why it is has such an impact on the subatomic world.

Talbot begins to stretch the scientific theory of the Holographic universe to explain the disillusionment of schizophrenics, the cosmic ‘oneness’ of ancient central American shamans and the occurrence of lucid dreaming. Researchers have also used the holographic model to better explain multiple personalities or ‘three-dimensional representations of experiences expressed in patients as a personality hologram’.

The holographic model of the mind actually suggest that our brain operates in a ‘hologram within a hologram’ or in other words, the holographic mind having complete control over the physical (including our own bodies as well as our reality). The relationship with imagery and physical performance has been studied even before the inception of the Holographic model. With the inclusion of this new theory, researchers can better understand why bodies are less susceptible to respond to reality and more incline to respond to the mental projection of reality. We’ve all heard about the boxer who ‘shadowboxes’ with an imaginary opponent in an empty ring, the runner who imagines himself crossing the finish line or even the basketball player who practices on an empty court without a basketball. These mental training techniques, have been proven to be effective and show more credence that a holographic principle indeed does exist. This phenomenon also extends to the power of healing. The placebo effect has been well documented throughout medicinal journals across the world and can help us understand the holographic approach to the mind/body relationship.

Of course the only evidence needed to prove the theory of the holographic mind would be some sort of psychophysical structure manifested in the mind and ejected out into the physical domain. Talbot believes he has found evidence of these manifestations. He turns to religious stigmatas as a clear demonstration of this mental projection of matter in the realm of ‘reality’.

The Holographic Universe also discusses the ramifications on the Time/Space paradigm. The ability for psychics to detaily view remote events that occurred in the past suggests that the past is not lost, but exists in an accessible form of human perception. Bohm suggest that the human mind and the holographic record of the past already exist in the same domain, a simple ‘shift’ in the focus of one’s attention is all that is needed to access the past. The shift can also be applied to viewing the future. The spatial aspect of the holographic theory can be seen in ‘Out of Body Experiences’, since holographically speaking space is an illusion just like the image of the apples as no specific location on the piece of Holographic film. The book coins this term as ‘nonlocal consciousnesses’. This can also well explain reported ‘Near Death Experiences’.

Rating: (5 out of 5 glasses)

Despite the fact that Talbot, at some points in the book, expand the Holographic with sufficient and credible evidence, I commend him for his adventurous efforts in order to further explain a concept that has been seen in science as extremely esoteric.

'Currently one of the best tools we have for exploring the unknown aspects of reality is science. And yet when it comes to explaining the psychic and spiritual dimensions of human existence, science in the main has repeatedly fallen short of the marl. Clearly, if science is to advance further in these areas, it needs to undergo a basic restructuring'. - Michael Talbot

- Review by Simulacra

Urn

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
good summery Simulacra, i'm only about a third of my way through the book, but WOW...i tell ya, it's a seriously mind bending trip.... NO DRUGS REQUIRED!!!

i read he first third of the book far too quikly i think, because i'm having troubles assimilating it all....

but i highly recomend this book to anybody with an open, and curious mind ....

on a scale of one to ten, i give it, TEN THUMBS UP!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
A much belated thanks for this review. I am still working on the book, and wondering where in the Heck to go next. I thought, perhaps, to go into quantum physics. Having no experience with that particular creature, I bought a book entitled, "Quantum Physics for Dummies" (Yes it exists!)... I atempted to read the book with an open mind and a questing mindset. I find in the "after-reality" that I must now wait for a sequal "Quantum Physics for Dummies, for Dummies". LOL!

I do not understand all that I read. There seems to be some question as to validity? Where is a wondering/wandering doofus supposed to go to make this clear to my tiny mind? LOL!

Thank you so very much for any response here.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
one of my most favorite books. I was reading Whitley Strieber, Communion book and he mentions Michael Talbot. They were good friends until Michael died, I think from cancer at a very early age. which saddens me that I will not be able to read anything more from him. . Michael Talbot insisted to Whitley Strieber that his alien abductions were not real but in his mind. Michael really believed he could cure his cancer with his mind but obviously it didnt work. I got a copy of Holographic universe from the library and I loved it so much that I bought a used copy so I could read it again. So much of it makes a lot of sense to me and explains a lot of mysteries in the universe. Totally fascinating!

top topics

join