It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have the technology - don't we?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Having watched several documentaries and looked at sites like this and others. It seems to me that the current level of technology that the general public (you and me) see's in everyday life is not what it could be.

We all know that the car industry could do away with 75% of fuel usage if it really wanted to - but no profit there.

We know that house builders have for slightly more cost built houses that need no outside utility suppliers - again where is the profit there.

The above two areas are probably the tip of an iceberg of suppressed technologies. However my question is why are the not being used now and being developed further. Would it cause global meltdown of commerce and industry, would the stock market crumble, would it cause the once mighty dollar to freefall.

Or is it because we dont have the technology or the science just now and we are heading for fossil fuel hell (No oil, gas, coal).

So guess i need to ask the question what do you think about our level of technology. Is it at a level we can use now or do we need to wait for a few decades? Do the money men control what happens? (yes). WHy is it you hear of a new invention which can change the world only for it to vanish from sight? Do you care?

[edit on 9-4-2005 by Munro_DreadGod]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My opinion on this, being an engineering student, is that financial considerations stifle many technological innovations that are possible. For example, there's no reason we can't colonize the moon. But how much would it cost? No one would pay for it because it wouldn't make any money.

Also, changing the technology we use to do things often means changing the entire infrastructure. We would have to make new factories, new machines, etc. Is it more profitable for a car company to keep making the same model year after year, with minor variations, or to build a set of new factories to build a totally new design? Basically, there is no incentive for companies to change their practices, unless it is profitable to do so.

In some fields, there is also the issue of jobs. Suppose a new technology comes along that would eliminate jobs in a particular area. Those whose jobs would be lost are going to fight the introduction of that technology. In my opinion, that shouldn't stop a new technology from being introduced, but sometimes it does, or it at least delays it.

This is why I don't like economics and business... I see them as the natural enemy to engineering.

(drops his two pennies into the slot)

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
As long as the government overseas projects, the technology of US is forth but when it comes to private companies and research projects, the technology that makes the other countries exceed us is from our own people.
There is hundreds of projects in US setting newest standards but paid for by China, Japan, Korea and Russia in return for their countries to have the gains.
They pay for the materials, designs and we build them and then they have our work. This is becasue of the cross section of bureau crap that research has to go through.
Another key fault of US government is unless it is one of their own specialized Universities or research locations, they do not recognize the work being done until it is gone to one of the other countries and then they scream, WHY?
American scientist who design such advancements use to file patents in US and they found this to be BIGGEST MISTAKE, for in the name of Homeland Security or National Defense junk, they STEAL patents from those that filed them. Ask scientists from Lockheed-Martin and Boeing how may have been taken even with high dollar attorneys fighting for them!
US scientists are having to write patents on their designs OUTSIDE US for their own protection and then those countries have the advanced technology clauses.
The US is losing ground quickly in the Nuclear energy race, weapons race, and defense race.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Cant wait for some new faster computers and the possibility of quantum PC power.

apc

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
This is why I don't like economics and business... I see them as the natural enemy to engineering.

Being an engineer I can understand this logic, however it is heavily flawed. New technologies are often introduced by small business. These small business are sometimes, in the case of my own company, started by engineers. Design a product, get the patent, start producing. No transition. No layoffs. No need to convert from one system of standards to another. It's just a GO with the new technology. I feel this is how most major revolutions occur in the first place.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It all boils down to money; namely how our nation chooses to allocate it. Do we make an effort to convert our cars over to the european diesel engine, which is more effecient and environmental...no, because the oil industry is big money.

Do the money men control what happens? (yes). WHy is it you hear of a new invention which can change the world only for it to vanish from sight? Do you care?

This is a very important question. I have matured enough to where I no longer simply point my finger from the sidelines and say "damn the man". I think the next step is to ask yourself if you care enough to do something about it (not you specifically but people in general).

Our nation has as many strengths as it does weaknesses. However, it seems people (citizens) compare our nation to others, determine it's a little better, and become complacent. Losing site the idea of social and economical improvements. Perhaps I am wrong in this assesment, but I believe our nation as a whole needs to reprioritize what's important.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Engineering is being neglected by businesses? IS this what I am to understand from the discussion? I can understand a distaste of science from businesses but not engineering as engineers are those who design and help manufacture the products businesses use and sell...well, maybe there is but just not as bad as there is towards science.

I say it is a lack of engineers to begin with, at least here in the states. The Japanese blamed the US's poor economy back in the 80's on a lack of engineering, more specific the inablity to take laboratory discoveries and find a way to create a technology from that. Today the US graduates roughly 50k engineers (Japan 200k), most of whom are EC, then a few ME and CE and even fewer CivE. I am proud to say that in about a year I will transfer to a 4college and hopefully become one of the 50k.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The government is hiding a hell of a lot of stuff.

You ever wondered where the Einsteins and Teslas of today are?

Why isn't anyone working on any controversial technology?

Because the government either employs such people, and hides them from the public, or "accidents" happen to them.

The world governments have the best scientists, like they always will.

They will never let this tech get out, they will do whatever it takes.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Down the road of Dr greer's 'disclosure project' with the men in black stopping all free energy inventions like magnetic drives and teslas self powered car. Interesting reply Manincloak

top topics

join