It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am 50 and had my Aortic heart valve replaced -cow valve-

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Feb 14, 2023

My whole life doctors thought I had mitral valve prolapse. It is a type of heart valve disease that affects the valve between the left heart chambers. The doctors told me one day I will need to have open heart surgery. Years and years went by. I avoided doctors because I was scared, scared I would have to be opened up.

In 2014 I finally went to a doctor for a 2d echo or a two-dimensional echocardiogram is capable of displaying a cross-sectional “slice” of the beating heart, including the chambers and valves.

My doctor read the results and she told me that I do not have a mitral valve problem at all. I had the worst aortic valve stenosis she has ever seen. She told me my valve is so narrow I could die at anytime. I blew her off because I did not want surgery.

August 22, 2022. I suffered a stroke in my right eye. I was very lucky the stroke did not reach my brain. I was in a stroke unit for 10 days being watched. After many tests they found that a small small section of my aortic valve broke off and somehow went into my eye. A small dot.

Many more tests reveled that my aortic valve was so calcified that no blood was flowing through my aortic valve. The aortic valve is between the lower left heart chamber and the body's main artery. My only symptom was my breathing was heavy while I worked out. No chest pain or swelling of the legs.

At this point the doctors told me that I need open heart surgery ASAP or I will be dead in a year. I did many hours of research and wanted TAVR. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement. TAVR is where they run a new heart valve up into your growing into your heart and push aside the old valve.

My heart surgeon told me he would fight me if I think TAVR is a good choice for a 50 year old. It’s a good choice if you are 80 and you do not have many years to live.

I picked a date Feb 14, 2023 the greatest heart day of the year for my surgery. I had a choice. A manmade valve or a cow valve. I talked to many people who had a man made valve. They all told me the same thing. It freakin clicks like a clock 24/7 and you need blood thinner for the rest of your life.

Right away after hearing tick tock about the manmade valve I told the surgeon I wanted his best cow valve. The new cow valves can last over 20 years. Pig valves last between 7 and 15 years.

I went in at 5 am Feb 14, 2023. They prepped my body for surgery and knocked me out. The first thing they did was use a medical saw and cut through my sternum. Of course they cut my skin first. I got very lucky and had a J surgery. They only opened me up 4 inches and put a few holes in me too. They used a rib spreader to make room to get to my heart and replace the valve. Sure a few ribs were broken. Ouch.

Two hours later they finally got to my aortic valve. It was so bad and hard as a rock the surgeon used a medical hammer to break it apart before he could cut it out and replace it with my new cow valve.

Meanwhile I was on a heart lung machine that kept me alive while they stoped my heart for 3 hours.

I woke up 9 hours later and told everyone to F off. I had no clue where I was. I spent 10 days in the ICU. They worst pain EVER was where they cut my sternum and wired it back together.

It’s now been almost 4 months and I feel great! My ribs still hurt and sternum but it will fully be healed in six months. I walk at a very fast pace 4 days a week at cardio rehab. I feel amazing. My surgeon was so happy that I avoided the Covid shot.
If you have any question let me know. If you need this done do it!!!
Cost. Over $400,000 to fix something the size of a quarter. Here is a part of the cost.

Detailed Account Information
Anesthesia
$5,404.00
Show charges
Cardiology
$2,993.00
Show charges
Coronary Care Unit
$61,749.00
Show charges
Ekg/Ecg
$186.00
Show charges
Laboratory
$8,940.00
Show charges
Laboratory Pathological
$456.00
Show charges
Medical/Surgical Supplies and Devices
$45,230.57
Show charges
Occupational Therapy
$2,687.00
Show charges
Operating Room Services
$66,220.00
Show charges
Other Diagnostic Services
$2,070.00
Show charges
Pharmacy
$5,675.08
Show charges
Physical Therapy
$3,020.00
Show charges
Radiology - Diagnostic
$1,240.00
Show charges
Respiratory Services
$3,495.00
Show charges
Payments and Adjustments
This goes on and on I could not copy it all!

-$350,188.00

edit on 9-6-2023 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Clot shot? Anyway g'luck, maybe I should post a story about my hemorrhoid flare up's also?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Wow - fascinating! Loved reading this and am so glad you were able to make the best informed decision about your health. So thankful you are still here and are so healthy now. Keep up the great work. Great info shared.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatchful
Thank you so much. I just posted this incase it will help anyone. There is wayyyyyy a lot more detail but I tried to keep it short!

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ilikesecrets
Clot shot? Anyway g'luck, maybe I should post a story about my hemorrhoid flare up's also?

I am just trying to help people because I know how scary it is. I am still in pain all the time. Yes post your flare up story. It might help someone

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You are very very lucky to still be here, when you look at the figures for people who just drop dead with no warning it is rather sobering .

You have my simpathy with the hospital bill ,if I had lived in America when I had my heart attacks 6 years ago I would have been dead as I had 3 in 5 days the insurance would not have covered me after the second I was told .

I spoke with a American cardiologist who was writing about the NHS in the UK versus the American system and he blew me away when he told me the odds that I had survived and how there was a 97 % chance I might be dead within 5 years , still here smoking like a chimney

The ambulance paramedic used a mobile x-ray machine on me and came to visit stunned that I was back in again and told me that he had never seen a heart so blocked up before, it took a few years for that to really sink in , same with the nurse who came running into my room on heart attack number 6 EXACTLY a year after my first one lol .

Enjoy everyday you only die once but live everyday
edit on 9/6/2023 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Wow you have one incredible story. I am sure there are a lot of people that are happy that you are still here. Smoking is very hard to quit. After 10 days the nicotine leaves your body and the cravings slowly go away. If you want to quit the trick is to never smoke again! Happy for you

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 11:39 PM
link   

we are so lucky to still be here , I lost 2 good friends during lockdown with heart failure one was 39 the other 41 they were brothers, the 41 year old was super fit non smoker ex military they died within 2 months of each other .

My bed had not stopped when I was coming from the ER room and I was asking to get out for a smoke ,the professor who did the work walked away disgusted
I like smoking so much I want to be cremated in a damp coffin

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JJproductions
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Wow you have one incredible story. I am sure there are a lot of people that are happy that you are still here. Smoking is very hard to quit. After 10 days the nicotine leaves your body and the cravings slowly go away. If you want to quit the trick is to never smoke again! Happy for you

As a 38 year smoker I have to disagree. There comes a point for smokers where it's every bit as bad as heroine; studies have shown it to be even worse. It took about 17 years before the desire to smoke truly left; every day was a conscious choice NOT to smoke.

I've been 'clean' for 25 years, and I have to say quitting smoking is the hardest thing I've ever given up, but it did add a few years.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Im glad you made it! Hang in there Bro!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Welcome to the "Zipper Club" ! (Exclusive club for those who have had their sterums' split for surgery)

I had a 6 way bypass 10 years ago. Have some gnarly scars and a cheap T-shirt to prove it. Needed to have my sternum re-split and stabilized with metal plates a year after because I broke a few of the post-surgical wires and my sternum failed to knit properly.

Oddly, I didn't have any pain after either operation.

But the hospital food was Freakin' AWFUL!!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have a cow valve also! I got mine 10 years ago this month, I was 37. They also gave me a new aorta made of Dacron. I was very lucky that the doctors discovered my heart issue when they did. I never had any known heart condition or symptoms of heart problems up to that point. The only way they found a problem is that I had become very sick with Valley Fever. It’s a fungal infection that targeted my lungs. I very nearly died from the VF but due to all the testing and chest imaging the docs figured out my heart issue.
The surgery sucked. The recovery was pretty painful. I still don’t sleep normally due to the back and chest pain from the split sternum and a lot of broken ribs. The stress it gave to my wife and kids was the worst part.
I recovered quickly and was back at work in 5 weeks.
I go for a checkup in July. I’m hoping the valve is still intact and functioning. They told me it should last between 12 and 15 years. I’m hoping for 30! I never want to do that again!
I hope you heal quickly. The worst part is over. Enjoy your new lease in life!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ilikesecrets

I went from internal hemmorhoids to a abcess in that region to a fistula and soon need another surgery so they can place seton drains because the fistula is inflammated.

Just my luck it went from bad to worse , not wat i expected about getting older damm butt problems.

Not as horrible as heart problems though , but hemmorrhoids man they hurt.

edit on 10-6-2023 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

But the hospital food was Freakin' AWFUL!!

At these prices, every meal at a hospital should be Michelin 5 star.

It cost the price of a very nice HOUSE to have heart surgery. When you really think about that, it's quite disgusting really. I guess your life is at least worth a house?🤷🏻

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Fortunately, my health insurance covered all but my $50 USD hospitalization co-pay.

But the hospital did send me an itemized statement of the charges for the original procedure, and it came to about Twice what I paid for my 3bd/2bth house!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I agree, smoking is the hardest thing to quit. I smoked when I was 7. I stole my grandpas smokes. I quit adderall, heavy drinking and smoking three years ago at 47 years old. I was on 60mg adderall IR for 18 years for addhd, I made a choice to dump everything at once or else death.

I was so ready to quit smoking that after the 10 day withdraw it got easer for me. I know how addictive nicotine is. It’s the worst drug EVER and you can buy it at any corner. Everyone’s level of addiction is different and for me I was so happy and ready that is was easier for me.

I am 100000% on your side about smoking. My friend keeps trying to quit but his body cannot take the withdrawal so his doctor told hind not to quit or he could die.

Every life matters and for you to quit is amazing. You are alive and your body is sooooo happy. Anyone trying to quit smoking should keep Saint to yourself “did I need to smoke when I was born.”

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

For most people in this lifetime are amazing! Thank you so so so much!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

I agree lol, the food is 🤮. I am so sorry you were unzipped. You are very lucky for not having pain. Wow on the wire having to be re stabilized! I am sorry you went through this.

edit on 10-6-2023 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

I got so lucky too. I have a list a mile long and I paid $26 out of pocket. I have good insurance too! Thank you for posting this!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Yes, over $400,000.00 cost for eight hours of surgery or a very nice house lol!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join