It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Advanced Ancient Civilization Burned Itself To The Ground

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 12:32 AM
link   

An Advanced Ancient Civilization Burned Itself To The Ground Before Disappearing 2,500 Years Ago

The Tartessos ruled what’s now Andalucía before mysteriously disappearing. Were tectonic plates to blame?

Much mystery surrounds the ancient Tartessos civilization that’s believed to have ruled south-western Spain from the 9th to the 6th century BCE. Throughout more modern history, people have suggested that it was a river, a kingdom, or even Atlantis (it’s not, and nobody’s even looking for it), but in reality, it was one of the first cultures to be established in the Iberian Peninsula. There are now more than 20 known Tartessos sites in the region, revealing it was far more expansive than first thought.

I thought I'd just pop on over here and post this little interesting story of another location lost to time. I know some here are more familiar than others about the transitional period of prehistoric to historically known. This might be new to even you.

In any-case, here we have evidence of a group of people tossing everything they had into pits and burning it all and apparently walking off into the sunset. (So to speak) What caused them to just end it all? Tsunamis, Earthquake prone location? War, Famine? the possibilities are endless.. Strange to say the least.

Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

In any-case, here we have evidence of a group of people tossing everything they had into pits and burning it all and apparently walking off into the sunset. (So to speak) What caused them to just end it all? Tsunamis, Earthquake prone location? War, Famine? the possibilities are endless.. Strange to say the least.

Thoughts?

It kind of sounds not half bad, given how things seem to be heading today.

At any rate this is a cool topic, and I'll post something more substantial later on this. Cool still.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Just a thought, how do they conclude they did the burning themselves? It may have been an act of desecration by a marauding party, perhaps looking for slaves or maybe didn’t value the goods and animals they set fire to?

a reply to: SLAYER69

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 04:06 AM
link   
see also the Cucuteni-Trypillia Culture
The remains of this neolithic culture are found in what are now modern Romania and Ukraine. The time was around 5500BC-2750BC. These folks created what for the time were HUGE settlements: 20,000 to 46,000 inhabitants. Then they would periodically burn the place(s) to the ground every 60-80 years, and rebuild. Ritual? Periodic purification by fire? No one is quite sure. In this case, however, the culture didn't "go away", they burnt, rebuilt, and persisted for thousands of years.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tnxoxodka

Perhaps they did it to eliminate an outbreak of disease, purification by fire?
What I’m really curious about is the purpose of the Neolithic stone circles, dolmens and such. Why the need to use such large unwieldy stones?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Tartaria comes to mind when seeing Tartessos.
Anyone familiar with the Tartaria conspiracy knows that some people believe there was a society whose history was purposely erased. Also the buildings and cities were said to be reclaimed by others.
edit on 9-6-2023 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have wondered about the end of many lost ancient civilizations and had many college level courses from the art history perspective for both the old and new worlds. It was always assumed that wars with other cultures was to blame when a town or village was burned down, however, this is different.

They idea that a culture would do this to their own settlement, that is burn everything and topple all the stone work, could only be due to some revolutionary rebellion. The reason most often considered is rebellion against the theocratic rulers because they found they were following false gods. This idea is somewhat illustrated by the Kipling tale "The Man Who Would Be King".

"The Man Who Would Be King" (1888) is a story by Rudyard Kipling about two British adventurers in British India who become kings of Kafiristan, a remote part of Afghanistan.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Nice to see you back on here Slayer! Yes, this is an interesting subject, indeed. I’d never heard of the Tartessos civilization until now.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Just a thought, how do they conclude they did the burning themselves? It may have been an act of desecration by a marauding party, perhaps looking for slaves or maybe didn’t value the goods and animals they set fire to?

Maybe the alien overlords have had a habit of exterminating civilizations gone bad, many times over time.
The Sodom & Gomorrah story has happened in many different places, by the Angels and God himself ?

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray
Maybe they’re watching us closely as the community of earth that was pleasingly going in the right direction for the past 100 years….. is torn asunder today ? Hope they don’t whip out that giant can of RAID too soon.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Going of the evidence presented in the source it’s difficult to rationalise alien overlords and their motives.

I guess the answer to your question is no, Sodom and Gomorrah are two distinct places and cannot be in many different places.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I am wondering lately if it is that civilizations just eat themselves alive at a certain point. Look at how our elites are destroying our societies today. They do have a plan to build their new fascist empire from the ashes, but maybe the rulers of these lost civilizations also had aspirations outside such localities. At a certain point, maybe ruling elites are so beyond normal human joys, and can no longer find appreciation with what they rule, that they are willing to burn it all down in the hope of building something more grand. But in allowing chaos, it overcomes them, and everything--including the elites themselves--is demolished.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Going of the evidence presented in the source it’s difficult to rationalise alien overlords and their motives.

I guess the answer to your question is no, Sodom and Gomorrah are two distinct places and cannot be in many different places.

Can’t believe I have to explain this, but,
ummmm -

Yes, Sodom and Gomorrah are two different places, but one parallel concept / example of corruption and perversion.
Yes, these two cities are not in lots of places at once.
I’m saying that all these other disappeared places / societies, at different times, may have met a similar fate.
Alien overlords is a running joke whenever we don’t know who the hell did what.
I’m sorry you didn’t realise these things. Truly sorry.
edit on 9-6-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Good to see you Slayer69 and thanks for an interesting thread. My sole thought is whaling ships were notorious for burning like matches due to the oil soaking in to the wood. Perhaps this civilization used various oils liberally and over time created a tinderbox city unintentionally? stupider things have happened.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Been thinking about this.
Maybe it is religion thing?
when they die they burn the possessions.

China have some thing like this.
they burn Fake money for the dead to have?

is it realy saying they burn it All at the same time?

maybe when the King dies they burn it all?

edit on 10-6-2023 by buddha because: why not

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Interesting... unfortunately I posted by accident.

Is this related to the "Iberian Princess" statue - that I can't post at the moment?
edit on 6/10/2023 by Baddogma because: oops...

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I have wondered about the end of many lost ancient civilizations and had many college level courses from the art history perspective for both the old and new worlds. It was always assumed that wars with other cultures was to blame when a town or village was burned down, however, this is different.

They idea that a culture would do this to their own settlement, that is burn everything and topple all the stone work, could only be due to some revolutionary rebellion. The reason most often considered is rebellion against the theocratic rulers because they found they were following false gods. This idea is somewhat illustrated by the Kipling tale "The Man Who Would Be King".

"The Man Who Would Be King" (1888) is a story by Rudyard Kipling about two British adventurers in British India who become kings of Kafiristan, a remote part of Afghanistan.

en.wikipedia.org...

great movie,
sean connery and Michael cain.

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Learned something new, I never heard of this before. So many older cultures out there to be discovered still I believe.

top topics

join