It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned fish exports from overseas A rude awakening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Since I live on an island and we mostly get our fish fresh. Canned fish has always been a domestic and imported part of our culture here.
Sadly I have to say that the domestic catches are being reduced at an alarming rate. It's kind of things working out in a balance of economics now also.
Most of our fisherman are over 65 years of age. Their boats, once was maintained regularly now go on for long stretches of non-maintenance due to lack of profitable catches. The port that I live by now has seen an increase of fisherman selling their boats at a price that would have been unheard of just 7 years ago. But the fact is that there are less fish now to be caught.
On Japanese can sardines that once cost around a buck now cost around 3 bucks with tax. ( using USD since most understand ).

So how are prices of canned fish in your country?

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

prices going up here (Belgium), but people hardly notice it because just about all food prices are on the rise.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article about this. Some environmentalists urgently asking to produce and buy less canned fish, especially tuna and salmon, to save the fish populations

edit on 8-6-2023 by KindraLabelle2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2

prices going up here (Belgium), but people hardly notice it because just about all food prices are on the rise.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article about this. Some environmentalists urgently asking to produce and buy less canned fish, especially tuna and salmon, to save the fish populations

Canned salmon is like 4 bucks now. It is just getting terrible. Fuel cost is stopping the mom and pop fisherman from going out to sea more weekly these days.

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Here in straya, John west pink wild Alaskan salmon is about 7 Aussie dolls for a 415 gram can.

Though fresh farm salmon which is like the chicken of the sea, farmed in Tasmania, which are fed on their brothers and sisters remains as pellets is about 45 Aussie dolls a kilo.

Ripped off for a battery fish.

Canned fish has gone up, though still a lot cheaper than fresh.

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Location, Dearborn, Mi on the Canadian/US boarder: bubblebee Salmon-$3.76...Starkissed $7.68 can...canned salmon starts 'round $3 per 14 oz can.

PS Canned salmon is fee at church n city food pantries...they give tons our...I've got 6 cans of salmon now we didn't pay for.....
edit on 06235030America/ChicagoThu, 08 Jun 2023 08:43:50 -050043202300000050 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06231130America/ChicagoThu, 08 Jun 2023 08:46:11 -050046202300000011 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Prices have remained relatively stable here in Texas. I consume a lot of canned Tuna, Makrel and Salmon...haven't seen much change in prices.

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I quit eating fish-canned or fresh-after the Fukushima-Daichi incident....especially tuna. Won't even feed it to my cat.

Oh, look! Global warming!

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

when ONE tuna goes for $150,000.00 +
dont expect greedy people to stop fishing..

lobster was once fed to slaves, until the owners tried it

should be alot more fish flying around since
theres THOUSANDS of sharks missing their fins for some reason

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Tuna goes for between $6000 - $25000 from what I’ve packed in boxes and freighted in coffins to Japan and USA.

Maybe the Sydney tuna fishermen just catch crappy fish.

a reply to: sarcasticcritic

Personally I’m with Nugget. Global Warming! Behind that tree!

edit on 8-6-2023 by Dalamax because: Eta opinion

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Most of our fisherman are over 65 years of age. Their boats, once was maintained regularly now go on for long stretches of non-maintenance due to lack of profitable catches. The port that I live by now has seen an increase of fisherman selling their boats at a price that would have been unheard of just 7 years ago. But the fact is that there are less fish now to be caught.?

I grew up in the Chesapeake are.
there are fewer crabs/oysters/fish to catch, and the State of Maryland restricts how much may be caught.
fewer men want to be professional fishermen ('watermen'); its a hard life with extreme weather and early hours.
so the Chesapeake fisheries has slowed down a lot.

I think the fish industry is being dominated by those huge fleets of Chinese industrial fishers.

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I usually buy canned wild caught alaskan salmon for under four bucks a fifteen ounce can yet. I buy the kippered herring filets in the can for about a buck sixty nine now on sale, they used to be about a buck fifty on sale two years ago.

Canned tuna runs about a buck now on sale...slipjack tuna...we usually buy the IGA brand, it is pretty decent, nice chunks of meat and way better than some of them with scraps of flaked meat in them. They used to be sixty nine cents a can back two years ago on sale...sometimes two for a buck. We like it better than starkist tuna

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 10:59 PM
link   
dble post

edit on 9-6-2023 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join