It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina disbands its diversity-equity-and inclusion taskforce

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Sources: www.youtube.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The University of North Carolina's medical school has disbanded its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) taskforce and will not implement any of its recommendations.

The institution had previously banned DEI statements for admissions, hiring, promotions, and tenures. Before this, the medical school required applicants to submit a statement detailing their commitment to DEI.

The task force's recommendations included that students understand concepts such as 'Understanding that America's medical system is structurally racist' and 'Understanding and Responding to Microaggressions.'

UNC's decision comes after the activist group Color Us United, which advocates for a 'race blind America,' campaigned for the university to axe its DEI policies for medical school staff and students.

Kenny Xu, the organization's president, told DailyMail on Thursday the decision is significant because UNC is the first medical school to revoke a DEI taskforce

'UNC was the first to publicly see the harms of the diversity equity and inclusion movement that claims that America is a racist country,' he said.

'Mandatory unconscious bias trainings, racially discriminatory admissions all lowered the standards for high quality doctors. And we we found it important that they make a public pronouncement against it.'

It's about time all these policies are dropped and I am glad to see the tide is turning for the better. You cannot compromise high academic standards and academic integrity by employing racially discriminatory admissions-force medical students/staff or students/staff from other schools to accept politically motivated ideas by submitting they 'understand' equality-diversity-inclusion. Academic achievement and progress must be based solely on merits and not on woke-politics.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: linda72

the pendulum swings back in the other direction.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

the pendulum swings back in the other direction.

LOL, you have mentioned that before haven't you, so have I. There is always a snapback an equal and opposite reaction.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   

No trust means no money, and means no power.
No kidding.
Unless you're a Baphomet kid. Kids are baby goats. Rethink "g.o.a.t.", 'Murica.
Reboot. Reset. Repent.

Or not.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   
After being home to Ralph Barick I guess UNC med needs some favorable publicity.
Heartening to see, I hope it's a growing trend.
Factionalism is not going to work out well for such a diverse country.
Eta: I forgot to mention an old bandmate of mine used to work for Barick while he was in school. he's since become a physician in Spartanburg SC. Pm me if you need a smart doctor.
edit on 6-6-2023 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The one group that has been hurt the most by racist “inclusion” policies are Asians.

If schools truly base on merit, some top schools will be 100% Asian.
Don’t come at me, we all know this is true and has been suppressed for too long.
It’s time America rises to the top again by allowing the best to shine.

I don’t want a doctor that is only a doctor due to “fairness” I want the smartest, the hardest working, and the best of the best.

Let’s get rid of the good ol’ boy club while we are at it. No acceptance based on donations.
It should be 100% Grades, extracurricular and ability.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Those DEI words are pure Marxist terms. That knowledge needs to be spread wide , as these are not so innocent as they seem.
And I agree with you Jagstorm & I'm white.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The one group that has been hurt the most by racist “inclusion” policies are Asians.

If schools truly base on merit, some top schools will be 100% Asian.
Don’t come at me, we all know this is true and has been suppressed for too long.
It’s time America rises to the top again by allowing the best to shine.

I don’t want a doctor that is only a doctor due to “fairness” I want the smartest, the hardest working, and the best of the best.

Let’s get rid of the good ol’ boy club while we are at it. No acceptance based on donations.
It should be 100% Grades, extracurricular and ability.

The problem is admissions to these schools is not as simple as grades... never has been.

The big issue is that the number of applicants far exceeds the available spots. So even if you just solely looked at only grades / test scores, the schools do not have enough seats for the number of qualified applicants.

Many of these schools could use the top .5% of test scores and 4.0% as a cut off and they still would have to reject applicants.

The other issue is that test scores and GPA don't necessarily correlate to professional success either.

Evaluating applicants holistically is the only way to ensure that the schools are creating a class that benefits all the students academically.

I will say that DEI has jumped the shark though. I support organizations recognizing that they need diversity in their ranks, however, I think they've gone too far claiming systematic racism and all the other woke nonsense that seems to have evolved into DEI now.

When I was in corporate America there were only a handful of blacks at the consulting firm I worked for. The firm recognized it's ranks were full of white guys from Ivy league schools and made an effort to expand recruiting. So instead of just recruiting at the Ivies and peer schools, the started going to some HBCUs. They also made an effort to hire white folks from lower ranked schools. It worked to some degree. That is what DEI means to me....

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   

www.dallasnews.com...

Texas Universities going the same way.

You know, it does beg the question.....if you're College Major was in DEI and then you got a job as a DEI Officer at some University and then....the program is abandonned.......what you gonna do with that Degree?

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The big issue is that the number of applicants far exceeds the available spots. So even if you just solely looked at only grades / test scores, the schools do not have enough seats for the number of qualified applicants.

AND… That is life. There are a lot more people that want to earn a million dollars than there are a million dollar jobs.

If there are 5 jobs for the best programmer, and there are a 100 of top programmers that just happen to be Asian, that means 5 of the best Asian will get the job. It doesn’t mean you throw in a Columbian person (who is not the top programmer) just for good measure.
It is actually insane to do so.

GPA’s don’t correlate to professional success but it’s A LOT better of an indicator than just skin color!

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I am just now watching a Tim Pool where he is noting that many many companies are taking down their rainbow BS from their websites.

About time these braindead corporate leaders realize how utterly retarded all of this diversity garbage is. I hope all of them suffer as much as possible. And I will always keep in mind the ones that did so.

The upside of this for me is that it has made me shop locally more than I have in about 2 decades.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It's about time. Maybe some other universities can take notes and we can get back some of our country.

Furthermore, a task force is an armed force organized for special operation. Was this DEI task force armed?

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   
And the company I work is so behind the curve that we are just getting to the "If you're straight and cisgendered you ARE privileged and visible. Consider coming out at work" stage.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Agreed. This is why, when my son was born in 2016, my wife and I sought an Indian or Asian Pediatrician. We found one who came here from India to study Pediatrics here in America. She wasn't even accepting any new patients but after talking to my wife and I, she decided to accept one more. She's been the best Pediatrician and 100% no nonsense. It really made my day when we took our son to his first appointment and I overheard her making jokes about Hillary. My personal doctor is white, but he's also near retiring and has been my doctor since 2000. Once he retires, I will find a personal doctor who is either Asian or came here from another country, unless it's an American that wasn't educated by the medical system of the past 15 to 20 years. I find it hard to trust anyone who grew up in our current education system.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I don't mind them looking into HBCU's either. My son's Montessori Headmaster was a professor and music teacher at Grambling State. I spoke to her in length last year when she gave my wife and I a tour of the new school. We talked about everything from security to today's education system and she informed me that the way public education has gotten is the reason she left Grambling. All of the teachers at that school were former public school teachers who were fed up with what it has become. The Headmaster even had one of our Republican State Senators tour the school and talk to the kids.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I could not find anything at the NCL news site or the FIRE SITE about this news story mentioning removing teaching doctors about microagressions and systemic racism, etc. I could only find where one's political and social views should not be considered during the application process. Your sources seem to be biased and opinion pieces.

Here is the letter from UNC Counsel to FIRE and all that I can seem mentioned is applicants' political activities, political debate or social action (political I believe).

www.thefire.org...

Here, again, I cannot find anything nearing what OP is trying to spin other than political leanings and/or morality connected.

www.thefire.org...

Congratulations, doctors can now be right wing extremists with low moral standards.

Let's see them try this with blue state universities.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Well, if you want your doctor to be like Sam Brinton, I am sure they have one like that for you. Just make sure you lock up your clothing before the exam.

edit on 5-6-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

www.dallasnews.com...

You know, it does beg the question.....if you're College Major was in DEI and then you got a job as a DEI Officer at some University and then....the program is abandonned.......what you gonna do with that Degree?

It's very good news n I hope more n more Colleges/Universities drive out the woke ideology from their institutions

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: quintessentone

Well, if you want your doctor to be like Sam Brinton, I am sure they have one like that for you. Just make sure you lock up your clothing before the exam.

I pick my doctors carefully.

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: linda72

originally posted by: TonyS

www.dallasnews.com...

It's very good news n I hope more n more Colleges/Universities drive out the woke ideology from their institutions

I do to. Knowing as I do a lovely young lady who recently graduated from Texas A&M and is now sitting for the MCAT, the glaring difference between the "woke" and her, as a person is that she is very positive, happy, well grounded in faith and family. The "woke" on the other hand strike me as very negative, hostile, angry, of "perpetual grievance". A person can't really thrive like that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join