It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any New Zealanders here at ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm sure there must be a few 'kiwis' in our membership

My husband is planning to travel to New Zealand in March - it's halfway around the world from us (Florida) plus a different hemisphere, and I'm a bit concerned as to 'how things are' down there.

If anyone has links to good alternative news sources for the country, or even trustworthy bloggers actually living there, I'd really appreciate them!

The difficulty is that my body just does not allow me to travel now a days, and my husband has a tendency to make a decision and then never 'really consider' all the permutations/ramifications/possible risks involved and as well, he tends to believe that mainstream media is reliable -

- so, I thought if I could give him links to local sources thru-out New Zealand, he might be more attentive to any advice or words of wisdom about traveling there.
Thanks all!!

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

'Chr0naut' remove your cloak and show thine self to the light of this fair lady.
edit on 4-6-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I think there are, yes.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   

My grandson has spent quite a bit of time every summer in NZ and loves it. He finds the people lovely, and never ran into any kind of problems.

You should be more worried about your husband traveling to places in the US, like Chicago, Illinois or Flint, Michigan.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There’s no snakes and one type of spider.

That spider will only make you feel a little crook, not cark it.

It’s green and the people say sex instead of six.

Check out the comic ‘footrot flats’ or the movie the hobbit to get a squiz at the countryside.

Or watch, hunt for the wilderpeople or the fastest Indian for more NZ preparations lol.

He’ll be alright and if you go there check out Rotorua. It’s smelly but fun.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Kia ora from Aotearoa New Zealand. Kiwi here, there is a few of us here, or at least from here. I would say safe but not safe. It depends or where you travel and how you travel, where you stay and what you do.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 02:42 AM
link   

It's a dark and scary place. Only the upper middle class have plumbing and rolling blackout are a constant. Then there are prevalent mob control, very specifically at tourist areas. All the police are corrupt and they hate anyone from anywhere alse.......
Jk all my friends that have traveled there say its a lovely place and the people are super friendly.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

If he is going to be driving, make sure he follows the rules, they drive on the left. know how to use traffic circlesround a bouts and use your blinkers!

Know what to do during an earth quake, eruption, tsunami, etc. Not much crime to worry about. I have had a camelback stolen though..

Have a sense of humor

go see some things like: Glow worms, glaciers, Pancake rocks, Hole in the rock, geothermals, etc. On the North and South islands.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I'm an Aussie, but have been resident in New Zealand for more than a decade.

As for alternative and conspiracy stuff here, there are many grass roots people who are wholly entrenched in it, but I am fairly skeptical in approach, so I can't really offer that much.

I have been closely associated to government here, and have seen some entrenched corruption, but it is mostly boring stuff like a candidate defacing their opponents signage, or being too liberal with their entertainment budget.

NZ has a small population and, despite big tie-in to the "five eyes" networks, is more like a small town or single state's government, rather than a big federated alliance with deep hidden cadres.

Generally, it's a safe place to travel and has lots of 'tourist traps'. It's a group of volcanic Pacific Islands and so has scenery and a lot of geologic interest. Most of the population are fairly friendly and are aware of the necessity of our tourist industry. The Maori culture here puts up a fierce exterior (it is part of their warrior background), but they are great and friendly people when you really get to know them.

You have to attend a Hangi at a traditional Marae while you are here. Basically, it is a traditional feast, with the food slow-cooked in cooking pits under the ground. A Marae is like a community center for the Maori, it is part fort, part tribal governing place, part religious, and part cultural get-together place. Also, there are strong protocols as to how people are to interact while at a Marae, but you can usually intuit things, and they will explain things if you don't get it at first.

Also, be aware that there has been recent heavy rains, earthquakes, and storms which has caused road damage and washouts in some areas, so its a good idea to look out for signage and stick to speed limits.

edit on 5/6/2023 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Many thanks to all of you for the replies, warnings and suggestions!

Really appreciate the response!

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
Thank you sir, for the encouraging words and for the suggestion about the Maori Hangi feast!

The trip isn't until March 2024, but we will make sure and keep eyes on the weather and associated conditions as we get closer and closer..

top topics

join