It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biden admin is Preapring to Sanction Uganda Over Anti LGBT Law.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It's a bit more thorough than that.

www.gov.uk...

I figured a gubment link would be most accurate here.

The previous conviction thing opens up a whole other bunch of reasons to be convicted and put to death.

Well, first we are talking about Africa, and over 30 countries there outlaw homosexuality. with over 70 countries worldwide...

In your link...

Some of the language in the law is vague and open to interpretation and it remains unclear how this law will be implemented.

Seems people are also interpreting as they feel too, so who the hell knows...lol

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Well, first we are talking about Africa, and over 30 countries there outlaw homosexuality. with over 70 countries worldwide...

I know...
It's why in an earlier post I mentioned how unrealistic it would be to stop trading with a significant percentage of the world's population.

Policies in Western nations sometimes pass the sniff test and are found to be in breach of human rights too. It's worth mentioning considering the issue is human rights.

Seems people are also interpreting as they feel too, so who the hell knows...lol

Time will tell. History often gives good indication though. It seems another issue that's being raised is AIDS/HIV and the potential for people to not seek treatment due to persecution. It makes sense too since people will attempt to hide aspects of themselves when put into a hostile environment.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Time will tell. History often gives good indication though. It seems another issue that's being raised is AIDS/HIV and the potential for people to not seek treatment due to persecution. It makes sense too since people will attempt to hide aspects of themselves when put into a hostile environment.

I think we all agree that making homosexuality illegal is wrong on many levels, but within these same countries are a hell of a lot worst human rights issues that no one really cares about, but here we are pride month, and oh show our "Selective Outrage” as Chris Rock has talked about.
edit on 4-6-2023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Well, first we are talking about Africa, and over 30 countries there outlaw homosexuality.

and those laws are for the most part passed to control the spread of HIV in these poor African countries.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

and those laws are for the most part passed to control the spread of HIV in these poor African countries.

Yep, a big part of it all. We can't dictate what the world does as most of the world is rather different than us on many levels. I know most Americans have no clue about how different the world is.

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Personally I don't differentiate on human rights. One of the worst insults (or best) is saying to someone "Nobody asked you to be Mexican/gay/black" it doesn't matter to me what that characteristic is when it cannot be changed.

If a human cannot live freely with non changeable characteristics then the affects are absolutely detrimental to the human condition. When a nation is actively targeting people with those characteristics then I can only say that country needs to sort it's # out.

I mean you say there's worse human rights violations but what's worse than losing life, limbs and liberty over things that cannot be controlled? Such as being a certain sex, skin colour, sexuality or religion.

a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Statistically such moves might make sense although it's a stigmatized statement right? Gays get the aids...

Just like stigmas the reality on the ground is a little different. People with HIV are treated and when it's done right they are no longer spreading it. I can't fathom why people would refuse to seek treatment when governments are actively targeting people who are associated with the disease.

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

Well, first we are talking about Africa, and over 30 countries there outlaw homosexuality.

That may be one reason but I think the sanctions are imposed because of the harsh sentences, including the death penalty for 'aggravated homosexuality'. To me that could open doors where men can claim aggravated homosexuality (rape) to get out of the original sentencing of life in prison as they can claim they wanted no part of it and were forced. How many innocent people will then ben sentenced to death? It's diabolical in it's conception,

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Personally I don't differentiate on human rights. One of the worst insults (or best) is saying to someone "Nobody asked you to be Mexican/gay/black" it doesn't matter to me what that characteristic is when it cannot be changed.

The difference is that "gay" is based on behaviors while Mexican or Black is not. Behaviors are differentiated in every country at some level.

If a human cannot live freely with non changeable characteristics then the affects are absolutely detrimental to the human condition. When a nation is actively targeting people with those characteristics then I can only say that country needs to sort it's # out.

Well, welcome to the last million years of the human race... I would say most countries need to sort their sh!t out at some level. I guess RAY100 let's make something like an inclusive and diversity Czar, wait...that hasn't worked so well either..

I mean you say there's worse human rights violations but what's worse than losing life, limbs and liberty over things that cannot be controlled? Such as being a certain sex, skin colour, sexuality or religion.

A gay man has massive rights over a woman or child in these same countries as long as that man doesn't act on their behavior and gets caught. Women treated as if they were cattle/property their whole lives, or children used as hard slave labor I would say is worst than someone not being able to act on their sexual desires.

Statistically such moves might make sense although it's a stigmatized statement right? Gays get the aids...

Gays are still the highest risk group for HIV, but I would say Africa is different when in some countries like 80% of the population has it. Still, opening giving someone HIV is very bad, as is sexually abusing children etc.

Just like stigmas the reality on the ground is a little different. People with HIV are treated and when it's done right they are no longer spreading it. I can't fathom why people would refuse to seek treatment when governments are actively targeting people who are associated with the disease.

We are talking about Africa here...

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   

The difference is that "gay" is based on behaviors while Mexican or Black is not. Behaviors are differentiated in every country at some level.

If you want to get into a debate about "protected characteristics" you'll have to start a thread, probably one about homosexuality too if I'm to be honest because both are highly complex issues that would be drifting us way off topic.

I will say that outlawing homosexuality is akin to outlawing master bating. People are born to do it and will find a way regardless of peer pressure...

Well, welcome to the last million years of the human race... I would say most countries need to sort their sh!t out at some level. I guess RAY100 let's make something like an inclusive and diversity Czar, wait...that hasn't worked so well either

Countries always need to sort their # out hence my mentioning of western human rights violations but to be a bit less depressing I'd rather say "that's progress innit?" There's always something to improve and some uppity prick to pull of a high horse.

A gay man has massive rights over a woman or child in these same countries as long as that man doesn't act on their behavior and gets caught. Women treated as if they were cattle/property their whole lives, or children used as hard slave labor I would say is worst than someone not being able to act on their sexual desires.

I would too. I feel I put enough mentions of human rights in general to get my point across without going off topic. End of the day the legislation in this matter points towards humans being killed for what some might call a sexual preference. Again this isn't a thread about human psychology so I kind of stuck to the human rights issues, it doesn't get more serious than dead... Right?

Gays are still the highest risk group for HIV, but I would say Africa is different when in some countries like 80% of the population has it. Still, opening giving someone HIV is very bad, as is sexually abusing children etc.

Can you not see a potential for gay people not seeking diagnosis or treatment? Yeah like you said it's Africa, crazy amounts of superstitions and stigmas to deal with.

We are talking about Africa here...

By 2021, 89% of people living with HIV in Uganda knew their status, more than 92% of them were receiving antiretroviral therapy, and 95% of those on treatment were virally suppressed, they said in their statement.

"Together as one, we call for the Act to be reconsidered so that Uganda may continue on its path to ensure equitable access to health services and end Aids as a public health threat by 2030," the statement said.

Link
I was talking about Uganda...

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I will say that outlawing homosexuality is akin to outlawing master bating. People are born to do it and will find a way regardless of peer pressure...

We are not in disagreement, but both are once again behaviors where being Black is not, so stop suggesting things are alike when they are not. Pedophilia is behavior too...

I would too. I feel I put enough mentions of human rights in general to get my point across without going off topic. End of the day the legislation in this matter points towards humans being killed for what some might call a sexual preference. Again this isn't a thread about human psychology so I kind of stuck to the human rights issues, it doesn't get more serious than dead... Right?

I guess you missed the point... a behavior can be acted on or not... A woman is a woman her whole life 24/7. It's kind of like if drugs are a death pental in a country then don't do drugs there. A woman can not just stop being a woman whereas a gay man can choose not to practice sexuality just as anyone can, and as wrong as those laws may be they are based on acts of behavior. A good number of countries kill women if they cheat on their husband, so don't cheat would be a start. I sound harsh, but one chooses to act on behaviors or not.

Can you not see a potential for gay people not seeking diagnosis or treatment? Yeah like you said it's Africa, crazy amounts of superstitions and stigmas to deal with.

I think the law talks about if a person knowingly gives another person HIV, not that a person just happens to be HIV.

This all is being pushed because of Pride month and it's just Biden doing some stupid ass look at me, look at me, I'm one with the gays... There are 10s of millions of women that lack human rights and I don't see Biden ever screaming we need to scantion X countries over it. If we want to just talk numbers women are 50% of the population, gay men are like 3 or 4% maybe?

posted on Jun, 7 2023 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
The Biden admin and Liberals are complaining that Uganda had passed recently a anti LGBT law.
The Biden admin are now preparing to place Sanctions agaisnt Uganda over their Anti LGBT law.

Not a single MSM outlet nor anyone in the Biden admin had being complaining about the anti LGBT laws agaisnt the LGBT communities in the Middle East or the certain killings of LGBT minorities by ME dictators.

Biden calls for repeal of Uganda’s anti-gay law, threatens sanctions

“This shameful Act is the latest development in an alarming trend of human rights abuses and corruption in Uganda. The dangers posed by this democratic backsliding are a threat to everyone residing in Uganda, including U.S. government personnel, the staff of our implementing partners, tourists, members of the business community, and others,” Biden wrote after lawmakers passed the law, which Uganda’s president subsequently signed into law.

white libs still trying to tell blacks what to do
even in their own country.

posted on Jun, 7 2023 @ 04:45 AM
link   

We are not in disagreement, but both are once again behaviors where being Black is not, so stop suggesting things are alike when they are not. Pedophilia is behavior too...

Is pedophilia a protected characteristic? I did mention psychology isn't the topic. I'm not equating unchangeable characteristics to ones that can be denied nor was I comparing protected characteristics in order to suggest which ones matter more.

I guess you missed the point... a behavior can be acted on or not... A woman is a woman her whole life 24/7. It's kind of like if drugs are a death pental in a country then don't do drugs there. A woman can not just stop being a woman whereas a gay man can choose not to practice sexuality just as anyone can, and as wrong as those laws may be they are based on acts of behavior. A good number of countries kill women if they cheat on their husband, so don't cheat would be a start. I sound harsh, but one chooses to act on behaviors or not.

Access to food and water are human rights too and the thing that drives us to acquire those is based on behaviour...

Are you saying it's ok to deny these things because they are simply behaviours?

I think the law talks about if a person knowingly gives another person HIV, not that a person just happens to be HIV.

Links are here in the thread. In the case of Uganda it's unknown how the laws will be interpreted but from what's written the death penalty covers a little more than giving someone HIV.

You're not suggesting Uganda is doing this to score Biden brownie points are you?

There are 10s of millions of women that lack human rights and I don't see Biden ever screaming we need to scantion X countries over it.

# Biden. He's just a figurehead and people are obsessed with cults of personality. I could go on about what the US does for human rights on the world stage but I feel I'd be wasting bandwidth.

You're going to have to be distinct when you mention nations and millions of women, you're then going to have to explain how individual nations systematically oppress women, pick the ones with death sentences and we'll go from there.

I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent. As I said there's nothing more serious than judicial murder. I'm trying to be distinct and you're basically hitting me with "whataboutism" and it feels as if you wish to frame me as being selective on human rights and what's important.

posted on Jun, 7 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Are you saying it's ok to deny these things because they are simply behaviours?

Nope, never said that and only said illegal behaviors are not at the same level as other discriminations based on the fact that one can choose to do a behavior or not. You proved my point by asking this question... "Is pedophilia a protected characteristic?"

# Biden. He's just a figurehead and people are obsessed with cults of personality.

We can agree there

and it feels as if you wish to frame me as being selective on human rights and what's important.

I'm saying Biden is being selective because it just happens to be Pride month.

posted on Jun, 8 2023 @ 05:29 AM
link   

It's not so simple to say "we can choose to do behaviours" because they will spur emotions and actions.

Being a homosexual isn't a behaviour, starving isn't a behaviour but both things inspire behaviours.

When society says things like "you can't be gay" or "you can't be a visible woman" what happens? To say "oh well you'd be fine if you kept it in the kitchen or bedroom" is minimalist at best.

I'm saying Biden is being selective because it just happens to be Pride month.

Maybe. It could also be MSM too. Who even bothers to look beyond a basic article these days? What matters is US policy and that stuff is a lot more thorough than a rambling geriatric. It's not like the US is trailblazing either, their policies align with most of the world when it comes to human rights.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join