It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longshoreman Walkout, West Coast Ports. Ships stacking up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yesterday, the Longshormen walked out of west coast ports. At the port near my home, 3 ships are already backed up, still loaded. Our port is not nearly as large as Long Beach.

Operations at the ports have not been optimal as it is during contract negotiations for quite some time now. But ships were being unloaded. Until yesterday.

They will all have to go to Texas for now. Expensive.

Pray they resolve this soon.

finance.yahoo.com...

edit on 6/3/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Is it me, or didn't they just end a strike?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Local skuttlebutt says they were close to an agreement, but it fell thru. Just a heads up since all we need is more supply problems = inflation.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just give the workers what they want should be the default solution to these issues.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Just give the workers what they want should be the default solution to these issues.

Won’t happen. The most common denominator I’ve seen on this planet since the plandemic = GREED

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Apparently they aren't that far apart in wage increase. But, inflation has gone up since contract negotiations started.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

Apparently they aren't that far apart in wage increase. But, inflation has gone up since contract negotiations started.

Yes, and it’s going to cripple the companies multibillion dollar a year budget.

Sarc/

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 01:30 AM
link   

All the more reason to demand higher pay. Inflation means their wages are actually lower than previously.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 07:00 AM
link   

All the more reason to demand higher pay. Inflation means their wages are actually lower than previously.

Mine too, and raising their wages increases the cost of goods.
Where's my salary increase?

Everything has doubled in price recently, but my wage hasn't changed.
Now I buy fewer goods which in turn means fewer jobs moving those goods

It's tricky with a broken currency

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Mine too, and raising their wages increases the cost of goods.
Where's my salary increase?

Everything has doubled in price recently, but my wage hasn't changed.
Now I buy fewer goods which in turn means fewer jobs moving those goods

It's tricky with a broken currency

Sounds like it's all going according to plan.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Maybe they can get it unloaded or not, but with California's green idiocy, there aren't enough trucks and truckers who can go in to bring it out of the state to ship it to the rest of us, so it's still backed up.

I think the states need to sue California. One state isn't supposed to be able to screw the rest of the country over when it comes to supply chain issues like it is.

And let's not even talk about the issues with pharma ... but I have no idea if that's FDA or supply chain or both.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

We should all vote for people that fight for higher wages.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's going to get worse now. This is the first time the port operations on the West Coast have come to a COMPLETE HALT.

They had some kind of temporary deal worked out while they negotiated a new contract. That has been dragging out, which has kept the port ops running but not full throttle since the pandemic.

Now its at a dead halt and the longshoremen are filing for unemployment.

It could end soon, or it could just hold up the whole supply chain. Lets see what happens....

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   
since this is a conspiracy site...

supposedly there is a cabal of progressives that really want to tear down the system so they can 'build back better' (with them in control).

the unions are close to a deal but the cabal tells them to say no at the last minute.

more disruption. bad for the existing system.
one step closer to breakdown?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I wouldn't put it past them.

I suspect they know they won't win in the next election, so they need a good excuse not to have one. Collapse the system and there it is.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think in this instance the Union just wants to do right by it's members. The workers and union bosses would hardly benefit from a total collapse of the system.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I think in this instance the Union just wants to do right by it's members. The workers and union bosses would hardly benefit from a total collapse of the system.

No one does, but at some point, something has to give or else that's what will happen.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

If you want to do right by workers, Unions are NOT the answer. Just look at the UMW telling it's members to support politicians that want to push them out of their jobs. Look at the Unions who told their members to vote for Biden, especially pipeline workers. In the 80's Eastern Airlines Mechanics Union absorbed their Baggage Handler's Union. The Union wanted a Baggage Handler with 20 years to be paid the same as a Mechanic with 20 years. The previous year Eastern spent $4 million to revamp their baggage tagging system. They went to a color code system because approximately 40% of their handlers couldn't read.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think they could sue California THIS time because the problem isn't about policy. It's really a multitude of issues that are compounding a common theme and that is higher wages and better benefits.

California is so embedded in it's lifestyle changes it would be difficult to go back to the way it was a few years ago anyway. And the people wouldn't support it....at least not until they can't get the items they need to live a decent life.

But I agree, one state shouldn't be able to hold a whole country hostage. The fact that the longshore people filed for unemployment already is a little disconcerting but hopefully the standoff won't last long.

You have mail.

top topics

join