It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betelgeuse,Betelgeuse,Betelgeuse is acting strange. is it about to explode into massive supernova

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Have always been fascinated by stars, LOL really from way back reading about Superman as a kid then later from Red Giants to Brown Dwarfs and everything in between. I had heard of Betelgeuse and knew it was massive but it took one of those scale videos to get a partial understanding of its immensity. Knowing its expansion has long ago broiled to a cinder any planetary objects in its orbital range, did we ever get an indication, a wobble, anything that indicated Betelguese had planets?

I do hope there is a way to watch Betelgeuse by the time it goes supernova, whenever that it is, this week, this year, 20 years from now. Hell I know we have witnessed events we thought were supernovas, but this time it will be certain.

Betelgeuse,Betelgeuse,Betelgeuse is acting strange. is it about to go supernova

Betelgeuse, a red giant on the brink of death, continues to show unusual behavior. After the Great Blackout, which occurred in late 2019 and early 2020, the star became unusually bright. It is now the seventh brightest star in the sky, while it normally ranks tenth. This has led to speculation that Betelgeuse is preparing to explode in a spectacularly large supernova. However, scientists believe it’s too early to tell, and it’s likely that this behavior is due to ongoing fluctuations after the Great Blackout of 2019, and the star will return to normal within a decade. Betelgeuse is one of the most interesting stars in the sky. It is about 700 light-years from Earth and is a red giant in the last stage of its life. It is also an unusual star for a red giant because it was previously a monster blue-white O-type star, the most massive class of stars. Betelgeuse has changed its spectral type because it has almost exhausted its hydrogen reserves. It now burns helium into carbon and oxygen and has expanded to a gigantic size: about 764 times the size of the Sun and about 16.5 to 19 times its mass. Eventually it will run out of fuel to burn, become a supernova, eject its outer material, and its core will collapse into a neutron star. Before the Great Blackout, Betelgeuse also had periodic fluctuations in brightness. The longest of these cycles is about 5.9 years and the other is 400 days. But it seems that the Great Blackout caused changes in these oscillations.
via @planettoday #PlanetToday: www.planet-today.com...

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Oooh drama unfolding.
...well sometime between now and in 20 years. Living on the edge (of my chair)

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I have always wondered if it would pop in my lifetime. I know 700 light years is way out there, but supernovae are massive events. Any effect on us at that distance?

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I have been watching this for a while.

There are a many stranger things going on up there.

Luke 21:25
And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

I have always wondered if it would pop in my lifetime. I know 700 light years is way out there, but supernovae are massive events. Any effect on us at that distance?

Oh yeearh

If the Betelgeuse supernova were to occur, the effects would be felt all over the world. The explosion would release an immense amount of energy, and the shockwave from the explosion could be felt on Earth.

The explosion itself would be visible from Earth, and it would be one of the brightest stars in the night sky. It could even be visible during the day, and it would likely last for several weeks. The supernova would also leave behind a remnant, which would slowly fade from view over the course of several months.

The Betelgeuse supernova would also have an effect on Earth's climate. The explosion would release a huge amount of dust and gas into the atmosphere, which could cause a decrease in global temperatures. This could have a significant impact on our climate and could even lead to a mini ice age.

tinyurl.com...

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Oh yeearh

If the Betelgeuse supernova were to occur, the effects would be felt all over the world. The explosion would release an immense amount of energy, and the shockwave from the explosion could be felt on Earth.

The explosion itself would be visible from Earth, and it would be one of the brightest stars in the night sky. It could even be visible during the day, and it would likely last for several weeks. The supernova would also leave behind a remnant, which would slowly fade from view over the course of several months.

The Betelgeuse supernova would also have an effect on Earth's climate. The explosion would release a huge amount of dust and gas into the atmosphere, which could cause a decrease in global temperatures. This could have a significant impact on our climate and could even lead to a mini ice age.

tinyurl.com...

LOL, the last paragraph must have been written by a progressive "scientist" because it is insane.
"The Betelgeuse supernova would also have an effect on Earth's climate. The explosion would release a huge amount of dust and gas into the atmosphere, which could cause a decrease in global temperatures."

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's possible it has already

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Crackalackin

Somewhere in the Galaxy, there's a viewing party riding the wave. If they're heading our way, they ought to get here in a few billion years.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

That “wave” may be closer than you think!

+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crackalackin
It's possible it has already

Came here to say the same... We're getting what Betelgeuse looked like 700 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Not to put too fine a point on it, but what kind of idiot wrote that article? Do they seriously think we're going to get some kind of nuclear winter from a star that's hundreds of light-years away? It's possible that an infinitesimal fraction of the matter might reach Earth, but matter can't move at the speed of light, so it would take thousands of years (at least) to get here, and it will be so spread out by that time that it would be indistinguishable from the normal space dust that Earth sweeps up all the time.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Too bad our sun won't suddenly do it. Sometimes I think we deserve it.

The cool thing about Betelguese is that it will have exploded 700 years ago when we first see it.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There has been reported strange noise from space lately, no one know where it come from. Also gamma rays shooting towards at us too. I always suspect it's Betelgeuse. Be ready - this could be one of the biggest event of century, even millennium. Because if it goes supernova, it'll be visible as second sun in daytime. No idea if it'll have any effect on earth. Gamma rays sounds deadly though.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018
Something like that.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz2177

Biblical Day of the Lord? Sky rolling up like a scroll ... 3 days of darkness ... Shockwave and the great earthquake ...

edit on 31-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

One of the more persistent UFO stories, is how aliens met with Eisenhower, to offer us advanced knowledge in exchange for us giving up nukes. Something about how the detonations interfere with them or their technology.

WELL... if our little fizzlers are hard on their tech, what are the ET's gonna do when Betelgeuse pops??

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Oooh drama unfolding.

20 years? Our current understanding says sometime in the next 100,000.

Still plenty of time to get a good seat.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Oh yeearh

tinyurl.com...

I really hope that is a joke and not something anyone with a brain was ever serious about.

Love to understand how a shockwave propagates in a vacuum for instance...

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Oooh drama unfolding.

Yay! I hoped some of the non-plussed ATSers, would respond. They usually can't help themselves once they are unfazed, unaffected, or unimpressed they got to inform everybody of their current boredom quotient.

Im also aware of some that have short attention spans, those afflicted with ADHD, or some just hooked on HDTV might have trouble with these concepts, after all, we live in the "what about me specifically world" and I mean now.

Perhaps you would find the subject matter would fit your need for immediate need for instantaneous dramatic release if Betelgeuse was described as a transgender planet. A flamboyant star that is currently transforming from a red giant to a brilliant luminescent supernova lighting up the sky fabulously for everyone in the world to see.

However at 650 million light-years away compared to our teeny tiny itsy bitsy but human-centric 24/7 timescale is virtually the meaning of the saying time is relative. Don't you think?

Don't you ever go out on a clear night and lay back and check out the stars and ponder it all? Hell, I love doing that, the evenings here have been so pleasant, I did that just the other night. When I laid back, I had so much on my mind, but just gazing at the stars in just 10-15 minutes it all began to wash away. Never fails to alter my perspective in a positive way, like some of my usual perspective-altering activities. Yea I find space and time
but wasn't it you that suggested semi-snarkily that I had nerdish qualities to begin with ergo it shouldn't be a surprise

www.scientificamerican.com...

Jared Goldberg, an astrophysicist at the Flatiron Institute in New York City. “I’m not gonna bet my career on Betelgeuse exploding…right now.”

When the day comes, however, it will be astonishing. The supernova’s first harbinger would be subtle but unmistakable—a flood of ghostly neutrinos emitted during the star’s collapse that would suddenly wash over Earth, lighting up detectors around the globe. Shortly thereafter, as high-energy photons burrowed out from the dense expanding cloud of stellar debris, the real fireworks would begin. “What we would see is Betelgeuse getting really bright—like 10,000, 100,000 times brighter than it normally is—on a timescale of a week,” Goldberg says. Depending on exactly how powerful the explosion turns out to be, the supernova remnant could become perhaps one quarter or half as bright as the full moon, concentrated into a single point of light—sufficiently luminous to be visible during the day and to cast stark shadows at night.

And the spectacle would linger long enough for everyone to see. “It stays really bright for a really long time—I mean, long for a news cycle, short for a human lifetime, infinitely short for a star’s lifetime,” Goldberg says. For astronomers, the explosion and its aftermath would be a watershed event, offering a unique opportunity for up-close observations that are bound to reveal a rich bounty of surprising discoveries.

Conveniently, Betelgeuse is far enough away that we humans wouldn’t suffer any harmful effects from the explosion itself. But humanity’s long history of supernova observations makes it clear that the event would still have consequences. “The sky would change so dramatically, and it would be so visible to everyone, that it would really cause a huge reaction around the world,” says Bryan Penprase, an astronomer at Soka University of America.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   

If Betelgeuse does the champagne supernova I am going to party like its 1323!!

I believe Ligo will know before the visuals hit. I hope that is enough of a warning to point some telescopes at the event! We got lucky with the neutron star merger (dry run anyone? See which people can keep their mouth shut..,) so we’ve known about this for a while!

I suppose it could also be a Dyson Sphere!!

Keep watching the skies!!!

S+F for the final frontier!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join