It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gen x liberals What happened to you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Im a gen xer 51 years young . My whole adult life I have leaned left .

I might be the most anti authority guy you will ever meet , have always been a her body her choice guy , never bought into religions, Im a rocker to my core , hair down to the middle of my back till my late 20S.

I am Jimmy

This is why the left appealed more to me they were the anti war ones, they were the let people smoke weed side, they were anti government and all about individual rights .

They were anti big insurance, anti big Pharma , anti authority . Or so I thought.

Now its like those same people in their 50 s believe every single word the government tells them. What the hell happened?

you are all for a major war in Ukraine ,you supported forced medical procedures , you cheered when alex jones got fined for speech, you cheer political prisoners .

You hated all these same exact people in government 30 years ago and you cheer them today .

You are not being a jimmy

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:27 PM
link   

This is why the left appealed more to me they were the anti war ones, they were the let people smoke weed side, they were anti government and all about individual rights .

They were anti big insurance, anti big Pharma , anti authority

I am in agreement with all of this , and definetly not 'left'. More libertarian. Perhaps you're not really 'left' , just think you are , or the new 'left' is too corrupt to see the changes . I'm all for 'live and let live' , like you.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

They were anti big insurance, anti big Pharma , anti authority

I am in agreement with all of this , and definetly not 'left'. More libertarian. Perhaps you're not really 'left' , just think you are , or the new 'left' is too corrupt to see the changes . I'm all for 'live and let live' , like you.

Apparently I am an extreme hard core righty MAGA because I dont hate Trump

But I have never voted and I didnt not hate him enough to vote for him
edit on 28-5-2023 by soundsofmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This reminds me of something I saw today. It was a video of a guy saying that in all of the name calling, why are Gen Xers being left out from being called out. It flips to a lady that you might see down south, stating very matter of factly...

"Because we will fk you up"! and more less... Leave us alone. You got yourself into this.

One responded that it was Gen X's fault because we spawned the rest - so we're directly the reason for everything going south. Of course, (and im not quite sure how they managed this) the comments were turned off so only so many people were able to comply along with her before the comments were turned off - or at least only certain people could respond).

This is irksome on a PUBLIC - SOCIAL network.

But I would have loved to say NO! if I could.

It's not at all Gen X's problem. When we were growing up, we were immediately thrown to the Clintons and their emancipation of youth from their parents.

You were no longer allowed to spank your children. If you did, they would be taken from you and sent to where the state deemed they should be.

A Welfare State became the authority over you and your children once you spawned them.

The education system has been in an endless battle between state and federal politics, turning everything on it's head since the 80s, now bought and paid for by Speedstick and Sports Drinks R US.

If anything Gen X was successfully silenced with anyone in the music industry daring to speak out short of getting thrown in court because of bad music lyrics. Dungeons and Dragons was satanic and your local communities could easily shut down gaming shops with little to no laws involved.

Man.. Times have changed in just 20 years. So much! Maybe we really did open some kind of dark gate in 1999 and somewhere around 2012, something evil awoke. 2016 We lost our damn minds. 2019, just 10 years later, the madness took hold.

Good Times! Fun Times!

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: soundsofmadness

You sound just like the people you are complaining about.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundsofmadness
Im a gen xer 51 years young . My whole adult life I have leaned left .

I might be the most anti authority guy you will ever meet , have always been a her body her choice guy , never bought into religions, Im a rocker to my core , hair down to the middle of my back till my late 20S.

I am Jimmy

They were anti big insurance, anti big Pharma , anti authority . Or so I thought.

Now its like those same people in their 50 s believe every single word the government tells them. What the hell happened?

you are all for a major war in Ukraine ,you supported forced medical procedures , you cheered when alex jones got fined for speech, you cheer political prisoners .

You hated all these same exact people in government 30 years ago and you cheer them today .

You are not being a jimmy

Totally agree and what a weird thing it is. I was always for left wing causes as it seemed to stand for freedom for all, freedom from corruption. Yet, here we are... Ive been called a right wing, trumper here in canada for questioning the covid mandates yet Ive never voted and am totally apolitical.

Was utterly shocked how most people from our generation fell for the propaganda, especially the most educated of them who were also anti gov, anti corporate, anti media back in the day but it seems the definition has totally changed, like goal posts moved.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo

Fair argument and I think I have a counter argument.
Today's wars and mega corporations and politicians that actually dictate what's going on are of what generation again?
To me honestly I don't blame other generations.
I blame bad parenting and social media.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 01:46 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I feel the same way. Turning 50 this year. Major generation Xer here. Always been anti authority and anti establishment.
What happened to my peers?
It’s almost like they all got scared suddenly and realized they lost their compass.

They are lost. And I def feel alone these days. The kids are too young to understand and they just all chit chat about where ‘it’ was or what ‘it’ used to be.
The party’s over.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   

We become libertarian although some of us never lost our spiritual center.
edit on 29-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The "War" in Ukraine is advertised nonstop on Russian, US and French TV (all those that I happen to watch sometimes.) As was Saint Covid...
Is it that superhuman to sniff that something doesn't add up? That the more you brag the less there is to it?
edit on 29-5-2023 by Gentzen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm still Jimmy, but I've had to work extra hard to survive after more than a decade of conservatives in power in my country... Well, I took some time out to beat on some Nazi's as they were becoming a real pest in my part of the world, but apart from that, the struggle is real.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I think a lot of left leaning people, such as Bill Maher, are distancing themselves from the new "liberal". As the new liberals are getting more extreme with their beliefs and moving away from their core staples of free speech, anti-war, and personal liberties.

I'm definietly one of those people. Grew up watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart who showcased all the hyprocrisy with mainstream media, especially Fox News.

These disenfranchised old liberals, like myself, don't like Trump or the RNC but can no longer support the democrat party. We're in a wierd middle ground. I really hope we start getting more moderate politicians that move away from these party extremes and go back to cherishing free speech, anti-war, and personal freedoms.

We need a lot more Jimmys.
edit on 29-5-2023 by Turquosie because: (no reason given)

top topics

join