It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Memorial Day….

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I served for 8 years and did two deployments for over a year each. Once in the mountains of the balkans and once in the deserts of Afghanistan, shortly after the initial invasion.

I’ve seen better men than me get shot, blown up, burned almost to death, lose their sight, their hearing, most people think they know because they’ve watched some movies….but they all know absolutely nothing. I really don't even like telling people I served for just that reason alone.

We Americans are amazingly spoiled. If you don’t believe me just take a trip outside this country to practically anywhere.

So for all the fallen, the ones I served with and the ones that came before, and all the vets on this site…..Your sacrifices are not forgotten.

This poem was always a good one for Memorial Day:

My Boots

My boots are off I war no more.
All my gear lay on the floor
I stop and think of days gone by
Of brothers and friends who had to die
To fight for honor and sacrifice
So many so dear that paid the price
Too few are those who realize not
What price was paid for what they've got
So I ask you now, for something small
Not money or fame, but equally as tall
Give thanks to those you come across
And swell with pride for those we have lost
Consider where it is that you stand
Within the bravest nation in all the land

Think of what you have while you all enjoy your beer and barbecue.
edit on 28-5-2023 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

God Bless America and It's People ..

Thank For Your Service Sir !

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've read some comments from those that actually went to war and their version is dismal. In other words, nothing to celebrate. But, maybe they have PTSD and it's understandable that war is something that should be avoided. There is the other aspect, that we can't sit back and let tyrants rule the world, so here we are.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've read some comments from those that actually went to war and their version is dismal. In other words, nothing to celebrate. But, maybe they have PTSD and it's understandable that war is something that should be avoided. There is the other aspect, that we can't sit back and let tyrants rule the world, so here we are.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I've read some comments from those that actually went to war and their version is dismal. In other words, nothing to celebrate.

Memorial Day is for the ones that won't come back.

Just giving recognition to those guys is what its supposed to be about.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

I've read some comments from those that actually went to war and their version is dismal. In other words, nothing to celebrate.

We have to look at the roots of war and try to understand how to avoid it, if that is at all possible.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Until we have figured out how to avoid a concept that has existed since recorded human history, a day to remember the fallen is a start.... but not nearly enough my friend.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Until we have figured out how to avoid a concept that has existed since recorded human history, a day to remember the fallen is a start.... but not nearly enough my friend.

Yes, of course, but a new concept must be thrust upon us all at this time to change how humans do their history.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Happy Memorial Day brothers and sisters of the south.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thank you for your post.
Yes, many of us here have served in the USA Military and this day is a day of remembrance for the fallen ones that ( lost for words here ).

Wearing the US Military uniform is something we all don't forget.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Thank you for your service... my words will never suffice but I am eternally grateful.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Got to love people that cannot grasp what human nature is huh, we will need warriors until everyone is dumbed down enough to get inline and stop asking questions.

I hope the fallen have found peace, and serenity in whatever afterlife they believe in.

Ill go back to my drink and thinking about absent companions!

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Got to love people that cannot grasp what human nature is huh, we will need warriors until everyone is dumbed down enough to get inline and stop asking questions.

I hope the fallen have found peace, and serenity in whatever afterlife they believe in.

Ill go back to my drink and thinking about absent companions!

Make love and not war, man.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:39 PM
link   

That's what I've always believed. Now, it seems most people use it as a reason to travel, party, and gorge on food.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

That's what I've always believed. Now, it seems most people use it as a reason to travel, party, and gorge on food.

I now use it at a reason for not making war, use compromise. When will we learn?

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

I now use it at a reason for not making war, use compromise. When will we learn?

Memorial Day can also be used for ensuring the U.S. keeps the identity our brave soldiers/sailors/airmen/Marines died to protect.

Fourth of July can be an even more vivid reminder of our heritage.

If we're not careful, the Pride or Mexico or BLM flag will be flown on the same pole with the U.S. Flag. (Heritage and Identity gone...poof!)

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Memorial Day can also be used for ensuring the U.S. keeps the identity our brave soldiers/sailors/airmen/Marines died to protect.

Fourth of July can be an even more vivid reminder of our heritage.

If we're not careful, the Pride or Mexico or BLM flag will be flown on the same pole with the U.S. Flag. (Heritage and Identity gone...poof!)

So, no progression to peace. None at all.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   

As a veteran myself, it's hard reading the title of your thread. I've spent years trying to get civilians who have never served to understand that the word 'happy' doesn't belong in memorial day. Yet, here we are and your a veteran sigh.
edit on 5-29-2023 by vance because: Spelling and grammar

new topics

top topics

join