It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada-style Internet Censorship For the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:32 PM
link   
At a time when the FBI is being exposed for gross corruption, bias and immaturity, the Biden Administration wants to create a much worse agency (with a lot more power) to control public discourse. It sounds like Trudeau's current anti-democratic Internet control. To me, it also sounds to me like a method for establishing the American version of the CCP Social Credit Score.

'A new bill proposed in the U.S. will allow the government to track users online and allow so-called “disinformation experts” to rule on what are called “behavioral codes.” The Digital Platform Commission Act of 2023 would establish a new federal agency that could “organize hearings, investigations, assess fines and establish rules through engagement in public rule-making.” The agency could designate some platforms as being more important than others and subject those to extra oversight and regulation. So for example, given that Elon Musk has thwarted government perks of controlling the narrative on Twitter, could this new federal agency supersede Musk’s decisions in the name of “disinformation

Seems they want to force government control over Twitter...

“Digital platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok and new AI systems have become the way people get information and have civic conversations. But misinformation about the pandemic, public health, elections and more are polluting our online spaces and having real-world negative impacts in our communities. Unlike other industries, digital platforms and AI systems are subject to very few requirements for transparency and accountability. We welcome proposals such as Sen. Michael Bennet and Sen. Peter Welch’s, as well as public conversation about oversight for digital platforms now and in the future," said Nancy Watzman, Colorado Media Project Advisor and former Director.

Link.

Th e bill.
edit on 26-5-2023 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

But misinformation about the pandemic, public health, elections and more

What people have uncovered from publicly discussing current issues was called disinformation by the majority of 'officials', yet much of it has been proven to be true-and covered up by those same officials and government agencies.

The bottom line is our current administration wants to cancel the first amendment, and I have my doubts that the Republicans will do much in the way of trying to prevent it-other than lip service.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Exactly. At this point, "disinformation" literally just means info the gov doesn't want us to know or discuss. What we get from gov and media is outright disinformation--actual, flat our lies. What did we get wrong about the "Pandemic"? I can say for a fact all my concerns were proven true at this point. All their 'truth' has been proven false.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:55 PM
link   
From The Gray Zone journalist Max Blumenthal:

The USAID-sponsored, Visa and Google assisted Diaa app not only forces Ukrainian into a digital ID panopticon, it encourages them to snitch on fellow citizens, reporting them as Russian collaborators so they can be arrested and disappeared.

twitter.com...

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Control the narrative and control the society.

They gain control of the judiciary and make what is illegal into legal and then control whatever form of media that exist ... Use the Judiciary to punish dissidents while letting true criminals back on the streets... the controlled media is directed to sing your policy praise while you gain even more control and destroy a society...seems to be working ?

Silence those who disagree and you will never realize you are wrong.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

They live in a steel-plated bubble world. It's a bubble, a house of cards, yet they are effectively screened from reality.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Ah , No . America is Not Comprised of ALL Hosers .

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I feel very sad for the Canadian people. I am in a northern state, and have always had a kinship with them. We joke back and forth, but the connection has always been there.

I would love to invite you down to the states, but unfortunately, we are just a little bit behind you I think.
We need to join forces as a continent to fight the oppression we both face in our individual countries. You and I are really not that different. The same evil confronts us. It’s time to come together, and support each other.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   
How bout they STOP making stupid laws till they fix our debt ceiling at least!!

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I will be lucky to live another 20 years as old as I've become, but even if I were to die tomorrow, no one would believe the world I grew up in verses what we have today. Back when I was a kid in the 1970s, liberals were on the front lines of freedom of speech, waving their free flag high.

Now they are the oppressors of free speech and coming after ordinary people who merely speak their minds. It's these same liberal hippies from the 60s and 70s that are the current day tyrants that oppress the people and their freedom of speech.

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Which bill here is tracking my disinformation? My FB and Instagram feeds are filled to the brim with certain people sharing all sorts of wacky things...

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Topcraft

Same for me. Our countries are much more alike than we are different. The differences are very slight. Different governments, yet not so different. lol We are all under attack in the same way by the WEF/globalist crowd.

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

When I saw this, my first reaction was that, ye, they are going after Twitter and possibly Tik Tok. They seem to be targeting "platforms". I see that as a rather slippery slope.

Truthfully, the Internet has been chocked down so bad by Google and Microsoft while at the same time, viewership of MSM is at all time new lows, it makes one wonder where anyone will get news from, going forward.

The real problem I see is that the more they censor news, the less the public believes anything they read on the internet, or see on the Tele. TV news, even local news stations, anymore seem to be nothing but strings of Public Service announcements.

I don't know where this ends, but it has caused me to lose interest in much of anything in terms of news. I may not be alone in that. I've noticed as well that other than the weather, people rarely discuss much in the way of current events. When everything is a lie, what's to talk about?

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

If they get their way, I suspect it ends with the end of the Internet (essentially.) People will go back to reading books and listening to shows (intendent podcasts, etc.) Sites like Substack may hang on, at least for a while. The Internet does not have the same excitement it once had. It was open free speech. The early days of YouTube were WILD. Most of the time Alex Jones 9/11 vids and similar material were listed at the top of the most viewed vids for that day. That's how I learned about the 9/11 conspiracy. I discovered David Icke and lots of other interesting individuals that inspired and challenged my mind in a variety of different ways. It was exciting to see such material rising to the very top of popular interest, above and beyond mainstream news stories, sports, etc. Only adorable dog and video game channels could compete. lol

All of that was deliberately crushed. Long story, but after Google bought YouTube the site employed a ton of obvious and sneaky tactics to push out the controversial content and flood the site with mainstream news and sports. Right now, they're flushing out thoughtful YouTubers by vilifying their speech as "hate speech" however possible, banning words and phrases, and making the site "child friendly" (except for the big corporate channels.) They will eventually get their way.

The whole Internet has been altered through various methods. Captured, centralized and censored. It's not fun anymore. Or as useful. It's becoming lame, and so I predict it will essentially die. Although, alternative sites like ATS may hang on for a while.
edit on 27-5-2023 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2

If they get their way, I suspect it ends with the end of the Internet (essentially.) People will go back to reading books and listening to shows (intendent podcasts, etc.) Sites like Substack may hang on, at least for a while. The Internet does not have the same excitement it once had. It was open free speech. The early days of YouTube were WILD. Most of the time Alex Jones 9/11 vids and similar material were listed at the top of the most viewed vids for that day. That's how I learned about the 9/11 conspiracy. I discovered David Icke and lots of other interesting individuals that inspired and challenged my mind in a variety of different ways. It was exciting to see such material rising to the very top of popular interest, above and beyond mainstream news stories, sports, etc. Only adorable dog and video game channels could compete. lol

All of that was deliberately crushed. Long story, but after Google bought YouTube the site employed a ton of obvious and sneaky tactics to push out the controversial content and flood the site with mainstream news and sports. Right now, they're flushing out thoughtful YouTubers by vilifying their speech as "hate speech" however possible, banning words and phrases, and making the site "child friendly" (except for the big corporate channels.) They will eventually get their way.

The whole Internet has been altered through various methods. Captured, centralized and censored. It's not fun anymore. Or as useful. It's becoming lame, and so I predict it will essentially die. Although, alternative sites like ATS may hang on for a while.

You are quite correct. Part of the problem seems to me to be that this killing of the internet, the purge of creative thought and alternate musings has gone a long way to killing off both creative thinking and curiosity.

That issue has a lot to do with the establishments slavish devotion to it's worship of the God of science. Science became the underpinning of the global climate change agenda and then, during COVID it was used to lend credence to the authoritarian measures used in response to COVID. Since then anyone can win any argument simply by saying, "follow the science". Thus any discussions of alternative ideas is cut off and people stop even being interested in any topic that might be addressed by science.

Problem is of course that science has no answers to many issues. But only the peer reviewed science is accepted. It's gotten to the point that the worship of science has cut off serious inquiry into many subjects.

I am not anti-science, I am opposed to its misuse.

Let me better demonstrate what I am trying to say. For generations kids have been taught Columbus discovered America. That's been shown to be entirely wrong. But, its the accepted peer reviewed history, so today.....Columbus discovered America. Thus, many knowing that is wrong don't discuss the subject because.....peer reviewed History.

It really is an exhausting problem.

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I vote for this all-purpose disclaimer tag.

The following is politically motivated content. It may or may not contain untold amounts of spin, bias, selective acknowledgement of the entire story, projection, fallacy, lies, or overt agenda. Please realize that is part of an unabridged press, and consume at own risk.

Done. May or may not be, works. Covers the 100% factual and 100% fraudulent. And every gray district in between.

And put it on everything. Every news story in print or shared with a character limit.

I can dream though.

We don't need a freaking federal agency to police people's internet opinions. They must really fear how much a debunked tiktok video whips people into a fervor.

I'm sorry people are getting molded into fighting form by things they read or watch. I'm sorry they get so pissed they go to Target to abuse employees with scathing conviction, but that is a free press. Truth or otherwise. Monitoring people based on a left-leaning standard, and then going after the ones most likely to go scream at Target, is not going to work out well.

"We want to stop acts of derangement. I know, we will try a bunch of crap to make people more deranged and paranoid. It will... should definitely work!"

South Park had The Mexican Joker, democrats are going to do nothing but make Conservative V after Conservative V. If only America had Guy Fawkes Day. Remember, Remember The Sixth of January doesn't really have the same ring. But it will be the unofficial martyrdom to tyranny day nonetheless.

Basic psychology says this is going to horribly fail, but whatever, if they want to have a go at it.

People in society are becoming painful to observe.
edit on 27-5-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 11:01 PM
link   

They are legalizing what they are already doing, to tie up the loose ends.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Exactly right. Legalizing but they've been caught doing through the Twitter Files.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:08 AM
link   

They've been using science as a scapegoat of sorts, so they can say, "We were just following the science." Problem is, they were making it up as they went along. I've been reading RFK Jr's book on Fauci. Very eye-opening. Greed and politics have conquered the sciences on at least some levels, esp. medical science. Big Pharma makes up what is "science" this week.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Either we have free will or do we don't, and become a Clockwork Orange.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join