It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viet Nam Cracking Down on Dissenters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   
www.channelnewsasia.com...

The restaurant serves up steaks wrapped in edible 24-carat gold leaf, reportedly costing more than US$1,000, and the video sparked anger over the decadence on display while Vietnam struggled through the COVID-19 pandemic.

During the same trip to London, To Lam also visited the grave of Karl Marx, the ideological father of communism.

To Lam, a member of the country's 16-strong politburo, has been public security minister since 2016 and has taken a hard line on human rights movements in the communist nation.

In April, Vietnam imprisoned Nguyen Lan Thang, a prominent journalist who documented protests and human rights violations, for six years.

A year earlier, high-profile dissident journalist Pham Doan Trang was given nine years behind bars.

They were all jailed on the same anti-state charge.

so the To Jam guy ate a gold-plated steak in London; noodle seller Peter Lam Bui made a parody video...getting a five-year sentence for 'anti-state comments'.

I had hoped Viet Nam was transitioning into a civilized modern state. disappointed at the Government's repression. the people do better if left alone.

I know next to nothing about modern Asia. is this the norm?
what say you?

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

And there are still idiots who think communism is 'great and better for the greater good'. Total idiots. The only ones benefitting from communism are the 1%ers , so the guy eating a $1000 steak, while the poor noodle seller voicing his opinion in satire is jailed for 5 years

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Man, that's really sad that they went the reoute of imprisoning journalists. Hopefully the government reverts its decision. I am thinking of going to vietnam next year.

It's frustrating that we still have many countries that feel the need to imprison people for simply speaking. I really hope vietnam has reforms soon. Especially as vietnam is quickly developing its industries which will lead the poeple into further modernization.

I think one day, with the emergence of the internet, there will be mass desire to increase freedoms which governments will no longer be able to ignore. Especially with the newer generations starting to take positions of power.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

so the To Jam guy ate a gold-plated steak in London; noodle seller Peter Lam Bui made a parody video...getting a five-year sentence for'anti-state comments'.

I had hoped Viet Nam was transitioning into a civilized modern state. disappointed at the Government's repression. the people do better if left alone.

what say you?

Eek. I did a triple-take because I thought I read "five year sentence for anti-semitic comments"... because 'Merica lately. But, you know. Same conspiracy theoremses.

Separating wheat from tares is the norm. Sometimes a scythe is needed.
Again.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Just commies doing commie stuff.

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie

Man, that's really sad that they went the reoute of imprisoning journalists. Hopefully the government reverts its decision. I am thinking of going to vietnam next year.

It's frustrating that we still have many countries that feel the need to imprison people for simply speaking. I really hope vietnam has reforms soon. Especially as vietnam is quickly developing its industries which will lead the poeple into further modernization.

I think one day, with the emergence of the internet, there will be mass desire to increase freedoms which governments will no longer be able to ignore. Especially with the newer generations starting to take positions of power.

If you go. dont do journalism or speak out or even claim to be from america.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 06:34 AM
link   

what say you?

Meanwhile, government and establishment in so called civilized modern states look on in envy and begin to devise punitive instruments to close down or violently oppress all dissent.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

not long ago it was a thing for US veterans to go back and tour the place. what I heard about it was positive.

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Really? A watched a few videos of Americans (including those that served in the vietnam war) say that the vietnamese people did not have resentment and mostly welcomed the Americans.

Has it changed drastically since then?

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   

not long ago it was a thing for US veterans to go back and tour the place. what I heard about it was positive.

Yes I saw that too. Has something massively changed?

posted on May, 28 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I have a couple of friends living in Vietnam, one is in Ho Chi Minh, the other in a province in the jungle, they both love it there, amazing food. I’m moving to the Philippines in a few months and plan to hit Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore while living over there, can’t wait.

You definitely have to be extremely careful with what you say in these countries. It’s actually illegal for expats to get involved in any politics in PI and I’m sure that goes for most or Asia.

top topics

join