It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something about Paul's life as their is currently knowledge of.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   
We're talking a certain couple of centuries ago. There were a different amount of inhabitants, transportation that was available since currently a century ago is understood not to have been there at the moment. Paul travelled a long time, by boat and over land. I can only imagine he used an animal and/or a vehicle for transportation. From his letters I comprehend he had companions. I think he at least travelled 5000km at that time.

Link to map

He lived his life travelling.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Untun

Yes, the "Great Commission" includes traveling all over the world. It's the best adventure, prays God.

(Excuse me, what is your native or primary language?)

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't think you should underestimate people's ability to walk long distances, spending time doing it, if they had no luggage. We don't do it because we have lost the need and therefore lost the habit.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I walk 70km a week without even trying. Double that with some effort and it wouldn’t take long to go far.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeNotAfraid

Yes, the "Great Commission" includes traveling all over the world. It's the best adventure, prays God.

(Excuse me, what is your native or primary language?)

Yea, I made a typo in the title.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ARM1986

Since the people of that time were used to travelling on foot, they could probably manage about 35km/day with ease (approx. 7 hours of walking). From sunrise to sundown it's 10 hours + 10 minutes in Israel (right now, just checked google for that). It would not be uncommon for people at the time to have breakfast at sunrise and go out to work or travel shortly thereafter. Having dinner just after sundown. Count 2 hours for breaks and lunch, then if you start travelling 1 hour after sunrise you still have more than 7 hours of daylight for walking at 5km/hour which is 35km. Do that for 4 weeks and you've almost travelled 1000km (average per day needed is 35.71km, you already have the extra 10 minutes, which is 0.83km at 5km/h). You can even take less breaks, cause 2 hours of breaks + 7 hours walking, means you can take a 15 minute break every hour and still have half an hour left for lunch. That's a bit much. 1 hour for breaks and lunch should be enough, one 15 minute morning break after 2 hours, then 30 minutes for lunch after the next 2 hours, then 15 minutes afternoon break after the next 2 hours, leaving 1 hour of walking to close the day and 1 hour to set up camp and make dinner before sundown.

Of course, from 1 city, town or village to the next (to preach there) wouldn't be 1000km. So he wouldn't have to travel every day. A day or 3 here and there, couple of days in the town, let's say as many days in town as on the road, and it would take 8 weeks. 40 weeks for 5000km. So you can do that within a year with ease, and can spend more days in town than on the road.

This article seems to have estimated a very similar distance achievable on foot on the road (32km per day, 20 miles), it also takes some other things into account:

Traveling to the Most Distant Part of the Earth

“The next day he left with Barnabas for Derbe. And after declaring the good news to that city and making quite a few disciples, they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch.”​—ACTS 14:20, 21.

COOL morning air fills the traveler’s lungs. He pushes tired feet into worn sandals. Another full day of walking lies ahead.

With the early morning sun on his back, he follows the dusty road beyond the vineyard, through an olive grove, and up the steep hillside. Along the way, he encounters other travelers​—farmers trudging to their fields, merchants urging along animals packed high with goods, and pilgrims heading for Jerusalem. The traveler and his companions talk to everyone they meet. Their goal? To fulfill Jesus’ commission to be witnesses of him “to the most distant part of the earth.”​—Acts 1:8.

This traveler could be the apostle Paul or Barnabas or any one of the hardy, first-century missionaries. (Acts 14:19-26; 15:22) They were tough, determined people. Travel was difficult. Describing his trials at sea, the apostle Paul wrote: “Three times I experienced shipwreck, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.” Journeying on land was not any easier. Paul said that he often encountered “dangers from rivers” and “dangers from highwaymen.”​—2 Corinthians 11:25-27.

What would it have been like to travel with those missionaries? How far would you journey in a day? What would you need to take with you, and where would you stay along the way?

Travel Over Land By the first century, the Romans had built an extensive road system connecting major centers of the empire. Those roads were carefully designed and solidly constructed. Many were 15 feet (4.5 m) wide, paved in stone, bordered with curbs, and marked by milestones. On such a road, a missionary like Paul could walk some 20 miles (32 km) a day.

In Palestine, however, most roads were hazardous dirt paths, unfenced from fields and ravines. A traveler might encounter wild beasts or robbers; indeed, the road might be blocked altogether.

What would a traveler carry with him? Some of the essentials were a staff for protection (1), a bed roll (2), a money purse (3), an extra pair of sandals (4), a food bag (5), a change of clothing (6), a collapsible leather bucket for drawing well-water en route (7), a water flask (8), and a large leather carryall bag for personal items (9).

The missionaries would be sure to encounter traveling merchants, who were distributing goods between local markets. Those merchants relied on the sure-footed donkey. It had no equal on the steep and rocky roads. It is reported that with a full load, a strong donkey could cover up to 50 miles (80 km) a day. Oxcarts and wagons were slower, covering only 5 to 12 miles (8-20 km). But oxen could carry heavier loads and were ideal for short journeys. A traveler might pass a camel or a donkey caravan​—dozens of animals ladened with goods from all over the world. A courier on horseback might speed by; he would be carrying mail and royal decrees to an outpost of the empire.

When night fell, travelers slept at the roadside in hastily prepared encampments. Some might stay at a caravansary, a walled enclosure with unfurnished rooms surrounding a courtyard. These dirty, unpleasant places provided only limited protection from the elements or from thieves. Whenever possible, traveling missionaries likely stayed with family or fellow believers.​—Acts 17:7; Romans 12:13.

Travel on the Seas ...

edit on 29-5-2023 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Thank you for that.

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join