It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

windows 11 thoughts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I upgraded to win11 about 6 months ago, and honestly think it's the best platform since xp!

I did place some things back where they belong, like the taskbar (seems weird in the middle), but when I use my laptop which is still on win 10 it feels 'old' and I miss some of the win11 features.

The thing that took me most time to adjust to is that everything went back to the system tray instead of the side bar that popped up when you moved the curser to the right side of the screen, besides that, I'm very happy with it

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
I upgraded to win11 about 6 months ago, and honestly think it's the best platform since xp!

I did place some things back where they belong, like the taskbar (seems weird in the middle), but when I use my laptop which is still on win 10 it feels 'old' and I miss some of the win11 features.

The thing that took me most time to adjust to is that everything went back to the system tray instead of the side bar that popped up when you moved the curser to the right side of the screen, besides that, I'm very happy with it

I did place some things back where they belong, like the taskbar (seems weird in the middle)

It does , doesn't it ?
I see you found the "hack"
I just had to .....
After 40+ years , they changed it on me.
edit on 5/24/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Work would most likely be Enterprise .

It's not, it's Home.

ETA : There is a way to use without linking a Microsoft account .
Windows 11 image and Rufus .(advanced users only.)

There's another, I just explained it.

But why , I would ask ?
What is the point ?
What is the concern ?
How many times do folks give out their email address ?
Cause that's all it is .
And not intrusive at all .
I have yet to receive an email from Microsoft either than being in the Insider program .

It's not just that people do not want to give their email (specially if it's already a Microsoft email), but (at least to me) the differences between a local account and a Microsoft account.
I'm not interested in "synchronising devices" (I have only one), I'm not interested in buying software from the Microsoft store, etc. None of the advantages of a Microsoft account are advantages to me, so I prefer the original method.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Windows is less than 40 years old.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
a reply to: Gothmog

Is there any way to install Win 11 without registering with Microsoft ?

Cheers

Probably is, but you can't get around dastardly 'S mode'. As already stated, just make or use a burner email (hotmail). I have several just for these silly things. You also can opt to just get on your PC/laptop via profile after you've done it. You won't have to log in via the email every time you want to use it.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

There's another, I just explained it.

Doesn't work unless not updated , or a different account that IS registered on the same system.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Windows is less than 40 years old.

It is 38 years old .
And I am used to using a gui style interface with DOS .
Which later became Windows.
edit on 5/24/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:28 PM
link   

It's not just that people do not want to give their email (specially if it's already a Microsoft email), but (at least to me) the differences between a local account and a Microsoft account.

Then why not just set up a separate user account , under the same Windows , and assign it Admin privileges ?
No fuss , no muss. and eazy peazy.
And the normal account IS NOT a Microsoft account. It is an account WITH Microsoft .
If you read the ToS of MS Windows , you will see that you LEASE Windows for 99 years which is subject to "breaking the lease" .
And that has been since Day 1 .

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Doesn't work unless not updated , or a different account that IS registered on the same system.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Are you saying that using the method I described Windows does not get updates?

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Then why not just set up a separate user account , under the same Windows , and assign it Admin privileges ?

Why create two accounts if we only need one?

And the normal account IS NOT a Microsoft account. It is an account WITH Microsoft .

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

If you read the ToS of MS Windows , you will see that you LEASE Windows for 99 years which is subject to "breaking the lease" .

I don't remember seeing that, could you point it to me, please?
Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You have to upgrade eventually because the earlier OS will lose support.

Meanwhile, you can make the new one look like the older ones by using software like Open Shell.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
Have you ever heard of Windows' god mode ?

Yes, on my computers, I am god.

Your point?

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Is there any way to install Win 11 without registering with Microsoft ?

You've never had to register it. I never have.

But it must be licensed (with a valid key). Yes, there are cracked keys, but those will get invalidated sooner or later, not worth the trouble if you ask me.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I have no issue with registering a product, and am happy to purchase it.

I just don't like the forced MS account approach.

So don't do it... I never do.

I haven't had the pleasure of figuring out how to bypass that nonsense in Windows 11 yet, but I'm sure it is possible - that, or I will never ever use. I'll upgrade all of the computers in our office to Linux before I would do that.

All you have to do is say you don't have one. they do try to hide the fact that you can create local accounts, but it is there.
edit on 25-5-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Thanks. I infer from your comment that there is no viable work-around other than another email account.

So... everyone's forgotten how to use google now?

It is extremely easy, and totally legal - and no, these aren't 'holes', and MS isn't trying to 'close' them.

You can either simply not connect to the internet when setting up the PC (running it for the first time), or just choose I don't have one' or 'I don't know their email address' if you're creating secondary accounts - this allows you to create a local account, just like it has since forever.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   

a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
There isn't

Extraordinarily wrong.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   

That is how one avoids registering . IIRC , if powered off , then on, the system will not boot .Windows 10 allowed a "trial" period doing that.

Nope. Not even close.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Work would most likely be Enterprise .

For large companies, maybe, but it is much more expensive, we've only been using Pro since forever - since Pro is the minimum required to participate in an AD domain.

ETA : There is a way to use without linking a Microsoft account .
Windows 11 image and Rufus .(advanced users only.)

You need to stop speaking about things of which you don't know.

It is ludicrously simple to go through the OOBE without linking to a MS account. Even in 11.

But why , I would ask ?

Because I don't want all of my stuff being sent to MS?

What is the point ?

Because I don't want all of my stuff being sent to MS?

What is the concern ?

I don't want all of my stuff being sent to MS.

How many times do folks give out their email address ?
Cause that's all it is .

Ignorance is bliss.

When you link your PC to a MS account, everything you do is sent to them. EVERYTHING.

And not intrusive at all .

Ignorance is bliss.

I have yet to receive an email from Microsoft either than being in the Insider program .

You think spam is the only concern?

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Much easier to just create the first account as a local account (the first one is always an admin account), then create a secondary Standard (also local) account for day to day use (no one should use an Admin account for day to day use, especially not one without a password).

Using improper terminology is the root cause of most confusion.

It is called a MS CONNECTED account.

Others are confusing REGISTRATION with LICENSE. Modern Windows MUST be LICENSED (have a valid key) in order to receive updates. Registration is not and has never been required.

Well, at least this is true. No one OWNS licensed software, they only have a LICENSE to USE it, and licenses can be revoked.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I cane back to apologize . For some reason I was stuck on COA and the Windows Insider versions instead of digital linking for the release versions .
Most of what I stated has been correct except for that information .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join